Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Brake Fluid (Squeaky Brakes)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey,

My S's brakes are squeaky and I think I need to replace the brake fluid or add some lube somewhere?

I'm not really sure what to do and its out of warranty now so could anyone lead me on what I need to purchase / do?

Thanks

Squeaks don't have anything to do with the brake fluid.

Tesla or any reputable brake shop should be able to take care of brakes.

One thing to note - on my 2013 I had squeaky brakes and Tesla upgraded some components on my front brake setup so it might pay to go with them.

Often Tesla brakes are squeaky after getting wet, or sitting in humid conditions.
The steel brake rotors get a light coating of rust, that takes a few stops to rub off.
The brake pads on Tesla are designed not to rub on the rotors to increase travel efficiency. The car relies mostly on regenerative braking to slow the car down to just a few MPH.
You often can eliminate the squeaks with just a couple applications of the brake pedal.

Would be unusual for your brake fluid to be causing the squeaks. It should be flushed out every couple years anyways. Just normal maintenance.

Do a panic stop a few times. Get the car up to about 60 or 70 mph, then slam on the brakes. Do that a couple times and it should take your squeaks away... until the next time they get squeaky due to dis-use.

Oh does this work? What is the reasoning behind it? Just curious.

I presume due to the fact that the brakes get used so much less, they build up an oxidation layer as well as dust, causing the squeak. If you really put them through a couple panic stops, it clears out the dust and oxidation and thus eliminates the squeaks until it builds up again.

A typical set of pads on a Tesla will last well in excess of 100,000 miles if you use regenerative braking properly.

Do a panic stop a few times. Get the car up to about 60 or 70 mph, then slam on the brakes. Do that a couple times and it should take your squeaks away... until the next time they get squeaky due to dis-use.

+1 on this and also since the brakes arent used very often, its a good idea to try to use them daily even if you dont need it so the fluid doesnt sit around