Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla buy back my Model S 2018, should I get another Model S?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don’t mean to nit pick but you clearly are sore with Tesla.
1)I could either bring my car in to Bellevue as soon as Tuesday or have mobile tech out by Wednesday. (And ya I just checked through the app)
2)every single time I call Bellevue or sodo someone picks up the phone and answers my question.
3)I’m not just a fanboy(girl) this is my second Tesla and my first had more than a large amount of issues. But I never voiced them then and won’t now.

Sell your car and move on.
I think you meant to write, "I wish your experience was more like my own. I'd probably sell my Tesla and move on if this were happening to me."

Not to nitpick, but being able to schedule a service appointment is no longer security that the appointment will happen (repeatedly documented that they will call to cancel) nor is it related to time when your car will be diagnosed or fixed (my car has been at the SC since June 24 and spent all but 4 of those days parked outside getting shat on by birds and having the MCU screen baked).

I regularly switch between cars at our place, I miss buttons, I really miss buttons in the Tesla. :(
Driving one of our other cars a few days ago I was able to change the driver heater settings (temp, fan speed), my heated seat, and turn TCS off without taking my eyes off the road. Humans are good at tactile feel and remembering the position of buttons without looking, this is why everyone else still does it that way.
And of course actually have rain sensing wipers that aren't possessed was a nice change.

I change the temp/speed, on and off with the steering control. For me that is the best option.

If I really need to look away for that long to find a button (Which I don’t), I can just briefly turn on Autopilot. I guess I’m not adjusting my seat as much either.

I do agree the no rain sensor is dumb. I still don’t use the automatic option.

Reactions: Fantomsss
I'd probably sell my Tesla and move on if this were happening to me."

Perhaps. But I also know that some customers are more “colorful” than others. Sometimes high drama comes with being highly dramatic in general. I could be wrong but I have seen this a lot over the years dealing with clients.

You go on about any forum and can usually find horror stories about any vehicle. If the bad luck bug landed on you, I’m sorry. But I am glad this doesn’t appear to be the norm. Even though based on some people here, that is the norm.

I haven’t been canceled on...yet. It is ridiculous why they would keep your car for so long though without working on it. I try to avoid any service work for anything around holidays. People are more likely to have other things on their mind and may not do their best work.

Last edited:
My gosh. I’m glad I did not research these forums before I bought my car. I may never had even bought it. Haven’t had any issues at all maintenance wise in almost 2 years and 28K miles.
But really what I wanted to post and say was. People don’t sign up for car forums typically to say things like.
“My car has been fine, and I haven’t had any real problems” they tend to want to have someone listen to them when they have problems and needing to vent about it. I know I know that’s not all of us here.....many of us enjoy these forums for lots of good reasons. But I suggest we are Atypical. The average car owner buys the car and just drives it and doesn’t spend his or her weekends posting on forums.
There are something like 700K Tesla on the road and we are reading about a very small fraction of people having problems over and over and over. Sometimes the SAME poster across multiple posts over and over.
I submit this happens on ALL forums to some degree.
As I meet Tesla owners out in The world(IN PERSON) we always have nothing but positive stories to share. People are not the same when they are posting in social media.
All this to say.
I think the large vast majority of people are quite happy with their cars and don’t go running back to the dealership when the windshield wipers don’t clear the window well enough.
Bottom line if the Tesla isn’t for you because it’s new tech and isn’t proven reliable in your eyes as of yet. Just sell it and make yourself happy. Wait for it to be better. Just don’t read the forums before you purchase

Reactions: s1rk
I've had my car for 11 months and during this time I've had multiple Service Center visits (sometimes me just being picky) and had an accident which required a new front end, air compressors, headlights, etc. (took them 1 month to fix but would have been faster had I not complained that some parts of the bumper weren't painted correctly). I felt like things were always handled as best they could because I came in with expectations of not expecting a lot, lol. With that said, the experience of driving a Tesla compared to other ICE vehicles - granted I've never owned super fancy cars - is quite different for me. I'm still as excited to get in and drive my car in the morning as I did when I first got it and no other car had done that for me. Plus the Auto Pilot feature has been worth EVERY penny for me.

1)I could either bring my car in to Bellevue as soon as Tuesday or have mobile tech out by Wednesday. (And ya I just checked through the app)
I checked, and you are right - there was one appointment for Wed and more starting next Monday. My last 2 appointments I booked , last one happened ~3 weeks ago IIRC, both had over 4 week waits. Something has changed, hopefully they didn't just increase the parking lot queue (the visit 3 weeks ago I was told repair is an hour or two, but they need the car for 4 days because it will sit in the parking lot while waiting to get into the shop, and no, they can't let me take the car back and just bring it on some scheduled date to fix - to their credit they fixed it in one day). Good to see some potentially positive change though.

2)every single time I call Bellevue or sodo someone picks up the phone and answers my question.
I don't want to be calling just to check, but for the last 2 appointments I tried calling multiple times, all I got was a computer telling me to do online chat, which I did, and they told me I need to call the service center. I was trying to find out how much for new tires, but gave up after 2 days and went to a local tire shop instead. But, hoping you are right and next time I need something, I will be able to reach a live person.

3)I’m not just a fanboy(girl) this is my second Tesla and my first had more than a large amount of issues. But I never voiced them then and won’t now.
So what you're saying is that Tesla's are an ideal car for automotive masochists? ;)
Just kidding (mostly) but as long as Tesla was fixing and delivering in timely manner, I too accepted its faults as an early adopter. I even resorted to fixing my own squeaks, rattles, noises, and minor issues, or just living with some, because I didn't want to bother the service guys, who were always amazing for me by the way (mostly at Bellevue). I started voicing a problem with service when the speed and quality went down, which happened over the last year or so.

Sell your car and move on.
If I had Elon money I could just get rid of the car, price be damned, or maybe I would buy a bunch of them, then wouldn't care if some of them were waiting to be fixed (I think Elon is in that situation, which is why he doesn't understand why people have a problem with long repair waits - "duh, just drive one of your other Tesla's, we'll probably fix it eventually" is the thought in his head). I don't just throw away expensive products the manufacturers refuses to warranty.

I don’t mean to nit pick but you clearly are sore with Tesla.
It's not a nit pick because it's true. I went from being one of the biggest fans, telling everyone to buy a Tesla if they can find a way to afford it, to this. I no longer volunteer Tesla information or suggest a Tesla as an alternative to anyone. If asked, I tell people the car is amazing to drive until you need repairs, and that you will need repairs (in our experience the newer the vintage, the more repairs they needed), plus now mentioning how Tesla tries to weasel out of warranty support (e.g. yellow screen) too. Oh, last but no least (and not service related) - never pay for anything that is not available on the car on delivery day - it will likely never come or come extremely underwhelming, like "$25K for 228hp extra!" but you get 50hp and an excuse how the motors on the car are capable of the power, but not the rest of the car, or "the (AP1) car will find you anywhere on private property" and you get "the car drives up to 40ft in a straight line while you hold a dead-man-switch watching to make sure the car doesn't hit anything".

If I were you, I’d do the following:
1. Get a MCU replacement ASAP.
2. List your Tesla for sale and get it sold.
3. When sold, then you can move into the etron when one becomes available. Tesla and you certainly no longer seem to mix.
So give Tesla more money, lose more money on current car (depreciating every day) and then ride a bus until etron I'd want is available again? No thanks.

If I were you, I’d do the following:
I have used CarPlay. For what I use Teslas music and tie in with my phone and hey Siri, Teslas system works good enough for me. Car play would be a nice addition for people that prefer it I suppose.
Another personal preference. There are plenty of things the eTron will do with CarPlay, but if you wouldn't use them, they have no value to you. I know a guy who never uses A/C in his car, prefers to drive with open windows - he would say a car without available A/C is not a problem at all, after all people drove cars without A/C for years in the old days, others might disagree and say A/C is an important feature.

I rarely have people in the back seat. Especially to where I need to worry about being “inconvenienced” to turn on or off the seat heat while driving. Besides, the passenger can adjust the rear for me if needed. But it is nice that the etron has that extra control setup.
Another feature with no value to you because you don't have a usecase, totally understandable.

I don’t picture that hand write being that safe. But I could be wrong. Voice is sufficient for me.
Voice has never worked well for me in the Teslas, so I don't bother using it. It is frustrating and requires more attention to undo the incorrect commands than just doing it manually.

The large screen is nice for actually seeing the data for energy consumption, rear camera, nav, and album search.
All but nav are half screen apps, so it actually would work better if you could put it on top or bottom screen (in a Tesla you can only use the bottom half of the screen for all apps other than nav, with the exception of "special" media player + rear camera"). So there is no benefit to the screen being large, only bottom half of it usable at a time while the top is nav. Audi has more options for apps between the 2 screens.

It does sound weird to have so many services in less than one year. In 2.5 years and 36k miles, the mobile service has been to my place twice. Haven’t had to take it into the Tesla service center. Brought it to a local service department for an alignment.
My older Teslas didn't require as much, 2017 MS came with a bad mirror assembly on delivery day (badly designed one, mirror would flop around while driving, Tesla was trying out a cost cut version) which resulted in 4 SC visits in the first 3 months (3 mirror assemblies swapped until a redesigned part became available which didn't fail after a week or two). Then went in because the car wouldn't turn off - I would find it running with HVAC on in the garage overnight. So 5 visits in first year, then car was totaled, got a new 2018 MS - wouldn't charge with Gen 1 HPWC which worked for the 2017 car and 2015 car. One visits to find out Tesla engineering broke backwards compatibility with older chargers (SC didn't know it either, so they spent time doing diagnostics) but never caught that in testing (or maybe we were the testers). Had to replace the wall charger, but at least Tesla provided the hardware for free. Then rear trunk latch started malfunctioning (stranded my wife a store parking lot once), 2 visits (one to diagnose, one after parts came). Then a visit to fix a warped rotor and yellow screen (which they refused to fix). So 4 visits so far, one more at least to fix the screen (will dispute it officially if Tesla refuses) - car is just over a year old. I feel like I forgot one or two visits, but listed ones which were affecting safe functionality of the car. While annoying, I guess that is the charm of an early adopter car - Tesla service has always been stellar until the last year. The problem now is service waits raising, service quality is going down, while Tesla attempts to cut costs by excluding things out of warranty.

Last edited: