Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla buy back my Model S 2018, should I get another Model S?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is a big jump to a conclusion. I would have taken mine to a service center for an alignment (general service) if I wasn’t forced to drive out of state because of Michigan laws. Now it’s possible that the majority are in for “fixes”. But certainly not all.

Why seriously haven’t you sold your Tesla yet and bought something else? If you purchased 4 of them, I would be surprised if depreciation is truly your reason for keeping the vehicle. Do you prefer to just keep yourself in a perpetual state of personal hell for some reason if you are that disgruntled?
It's entirely possible that he cares about the environment and is willing to make the tradeoff of Tesla's issues versus his own personal beliefs. There are no alternative vehicles when your constraint is long distance EV driving.

This said, it is absolutely 100% possible both to choose to drive a Tesla and also to expect the company to be run better and to produce more consistently reliable cars.

To the OP: my 2016AP2 X has had it's AC replaced, windshield replaced, struts/shafts things that make it shudder replaced, MCU replaced, ECU replaced, a pillar camera replaced (twice), wiring harness for said camera replaced, falcon wing doors worked on, seams come apart on upholstery, and I'm probably forgetting some stuff. It has also now been in the shop since June 24, spending almost the entirety of that time parked outside, not being worked on. One time when I went in to ask what was up, there was a line at the service counter 7 people deep. One person's X had its AC stop working and he was on a road trip with his family. The next time I stopped by, 4 days later since you can't call them, a person from that previous line was back again because he hadn't received an update on his 3. He was told that they still didn't have the part in, a control arm, no idea when it would be in, and no loaner. He had had an appointment on Monday with a prediagnosis from the Virtual Service Team stating the needed part and no communication that it wasn't available.

Purely anecdotal though.

Last edited:
This said, it is absolutely 100% possible both to choose to drive a Tesla and also to expect the company to be run better and to produce more consistently reliable cars.

Normally I’d agree. But after seeing multiple posts on multiple threads for multiple months, I am less inclined to believe this is the case. Oh well...what do I know?

Normally I’d agree. But after seeing multiple posts on multiple threads for multiple months, I am less inclined to believe this is the case. Oh well...what do I know?
Well, in my case, there is no other electric vehicle that fits my family and lets me take road trips. I checked out the e-tron -- and it is both too small and for more than local daily driving it is simply not an option.

I have seen people post on this forum that they returned their car for what I considered minor issues. My 2015 had a plastic part under the frunk that was flapping and loose, and Tesla initially refused to fix it - there's a long post about it. But it never crossed my mind to return the car or not buy another Tesla.

If you want serious advice, you have to give details about what you took it back for. just my two cents.

Reactions: SO16
This is a big jump to a conclusion. I would have taken mine to a service center for an alignment (general service) if I wasn’t forced to drive out of state because of Michigan laws. Now it’s possible that the majority are in for “fixes”. But certainly not all.

Why seriously haven’t you sold your Tesla yet and bought something else? If you purchased 4 of them, I would be surprised if depreciation is truly your reason for keeping the vehicle. Do you prefer to just keep yourself in a perpetual state of personal hell for some reason if you are that disgruntled?

Jumping in here:

Only a fool makes excuses for a company with poor customer service. I guess if you live in CA or have 3 SC 3 miles from you, everybody has the same, right? I need service on mine for the bubbled screen delivered to me, and the nearest better SC is 2 hours away. Oh, I can't get a weekend appointment because the SC is clogged up with low-maintenance cars. That's a $1000 weekday off for me to pay someone to cover me. So why are low-maintenance cars clogging up the existing service centers? There are not many conclusions to jump to.

Jumping in here:

Only a fool makes excuses for a company with poor customer service. I guess if you live in CA or have 3 SC 3 miles from you, everybody has the same, right? I need service on mine for the bubbled screen delivered to me, and the nearest better SC is 2 hours away. Oh, I can't get a weekend appointment because the SC is clogged up with low-maintenance cars. That's a $1000 weekday off for me to pay someone to cover me. So why are low-maintenance cars clogging up the existing service centers? There are not many conclusions to jump to.

I haven’t experienced the “poor customer service” to date after 2.5 years of car ownership and 36k miles. I live in Michigan (which doesn’t even allow service centers). My nearest service center is 3 hours away. But fortunately mobile service has been great for the two times they came out. Once for the 12v battery and once to replace my drivers seat upon delivery because of a crease during production.

Only a fool assumes that just because they have had bad experiences, so too has the majority of others. Or assumes that I live in CA next to 3 service centers and is the reason for good service.

You could probably just pay someone else $200 and they bring it in for you.

I'll chime in and say that my first S100D had a bevy of problems, so many that Tesla bought it back, and I got another one exactly like it. It has had no problems in the 7 months I've had it (knock on wood), and my friend who bought an S100D a month after I did originally, has had no problems in the over year and a half years he's had his.

The only regret I have is doing it in December to get the 7500 credit vs waiting until May to get the Raven upgrade and free ludicrous :D

DITTO

Elon has mentioned that he is aware of the need for even better service, but that he also cannot afford to build service centers and staff them with trained people prior to need as he does not have enough money to allocate.

Most every enthusiast auto manufacturer has forum posts about how bad their service is. Mercedes, Jaguar, BMW, Porsche, Ferrari, Lambo, Rolls Royce, Austin Martin. These customers have high expectations that they want trouble free cars, all parts in stocks, well trained and experienced technicians. Don't want to wait and have everything fixed on the first go. They want high end loaners and constant feedback as to the status of their repair. Unfortunately all those forums as well show multiple complaints from owners with unmet expectations.

Contrairy to what forum posts would have you to believe, Tesla is growing their service offering fast, their techs and managers are gaining experience. Huge efforts are being made to increase efficiencies and through-put. Perhaps forum posts tend to paint an even worse picture than the overall customer should expect.

Individuals with issues, of course effect them terribly, and it is reasonable for them to vent on forums, but maybe overall things are getting better and not as doomed as some posters would convey.

Elon has mentioned that he is aware of the need for even better service, but that he also cannot afford to build service centers and staff them with trained people prior to need as he does not have enough money to allocate.

Most every enthusiast auto manufacturer has forum posts about how bad their service is. Mercedes, Jaguar, BMW, Porsche, Ferrari, Lambo, Rolls Royce, Austin Martin. These customers have high expectations that they want trouble free cars, all parts in stocks, well trained and experienced technicians. Don't want to wait and have everything fixed on the first go. They want high end loaners and constant feedback as to the status of their repair. Unfortunately all those forums as well show multiple complaints from owners with unmet expectations.

Contrairy to what forum posts would have you to believe, Tesla is growing their service offering fast, their techs and managers are gaining experience. Huge efforts are being made to increase efficiencies and through-put. Perhaps forum posts tend to paint an even worse picture than the overall customer should expect.

Individuals with issues, of course effect them terribly, and it is reasonable for them to vent on forums, but maybe overall things are getting better and not as doomed as some posters would convey.

Good post. Re Tesla Service Center's, I read recently that they just laid off a bunch of service center employees - right after the "end of 2nd quarter push"....

Reactions: St Charles
My experience is of course anecdotal - I only bought 4 new Teslas, so maybe I'm just in an extremely rare situation. However, what on earth is plugging up all these service centers, even while Tesla claiming to have significantly expanded them, the wait times have gone 4x or higher while the number of Tesla's on the roads have only doubled (and most of them are less than 1 year old!)? Now that is no longer anecdotal - unless you believe that Elon is lying about expanding service center capabilities, but instead he reduced them. If he's not lying, that means a lot of Teslas need service, not just one here or there. Notice also that Tesla stopped doing annual services too, so all the cars in service are cars with issues that need fixing.

We'll never know the exact statistics of how many cars require service in first year, second year, etc - closely guarded Tesla secret I'm sure. However judging based on service times and number of cars on the roads, it's not as rare as you'd have us believe.

Going from a low volume car manufacturer to a mass produced company is why service centers are probably packed to the gills.

A Tesla could have the most flawless record on the market, but the sheer math is against them. The company went from producing 20000 cars in a year to over 20000 cars a month in a very short period of time.

It’s on them for not having the infrastructure to accommodate the expanded volume but I think the service delays are more due to their not adequately preparing for the increased number of vehicles on the road, not necessarily because the cars screw up more.

I also don’t think the service wait times are that out of the ordinary. Anytime I schedule my BMW for service, emergency or routine, it needs to be done in advance and sometimes they hold my car longer than they estimate. The experience isn’t that much different.

Reactions: SO16
My concern has never been the quality of the car, but the viability of the company into the future (for as long as the warranty, at least).

Anecdotally, my car was in an undrivable state and towed twice, but I've kept it. As it turned out, according to my service center techs, the failure in my car led to a design change for all future Model S (and I'm guessing X) vehicles and was personally noted by Elon (so if I meet him, I can tell him I own the "cockroach car").

I haven’t experienced the “poor customer service” to date after 2.5 years of car ownership and 36k miles. I live in Michigan (which doesn’t even allow service centers). My nearest service center is 3 hours away. But fortunately mobile service has been great for the two times they came out. Once for the 12v battery and once to replace my drivers seat upon delivery because of a crease during production.

Only a fool assumes that just because they have had bad experiences, so too has the majority of others. Or assumes that I live in CA next to 3 service centers and is the reason for good service.

You could probably just pay someone else $200 and they bring it in for you.

Bad customer service only happens when you need good service. There are many here just so willing to dismiss poor CS as either growing pains, or the joy of ownership because Lord Elon mumbled something about the car. My Ranger experience has been great. But, we are the only ones here talking about our experiences online. It is simply not possible to have that few SCs and not impact other owners who need service who don't come here to vent. I've spoken to some local owners, and it's a touchy subject that immediately kills the vibe. It's the cancer no one wants to know about. This is the stuff that kills a company, especially one that is bleeding cash. What will Tesla do when MB, a real place that treats customers like royalty, brings their inevitable option to market? Lord Elon will say we weren't worthy enough?

Ha, I thought of paying someone to drive my car there...

this may sound funny but from my personal experience, i would buy a used model s, previous owner will likely have ran into any issues and had them resolved

a new model s is more likely to have problems

model 3 have more issues than model s

A lot of opinions here, I doubt most are "unbiased" as the fact we're in the forum makes us fans (or complainers). I've had my 2018 S75D over a year, only about 9k miles, and have needed nothing from service (fortunately). It was delivered with no flaws.

I spent many years in the auto sales and service business (family) and know the difficulties. Tesla has financial constraints and the CapEx required to build, stock and maintain service centers is significant. NO EXCUSES for them but I do at least understand. They're torn between building cars and shipping spare part which, of course, could be used to build cars. I'm super impressed at what they've done in a short time, certainly better than any other auto start-up. Many have tried, all have failed.

I knew when I purchased the Tesla there were upsides and downsides, service and quality being one. The upsides, IMHO, significantly outweigh everything else. The technology, the updates, made in America, non-polluting, no gas stations, etc. all make it work for me.

Comparing a 7 year old company to Mercedes Benz is a tough battle to win. I've had MBs, BMWs, all of them. German vehicles are amazing engineering accomplishments that reflect the decades of experience they've had. They are also VERY expensive to repair, require repairs (and maintenance) frequently. I can remember $500 "minor services" on a MB back in the early 80's.

A lot of opinions here, I doubt most are "unbiased" as the fact we're in the forum makes us fans (or complainers). I've had my 2018 S75D over a year, only about 9k miles, and have needed nothing from service (fortunately). It was delivered with no flaws.

I spent many years in the auto sales and service business (family) and know the difficulties. Tesla has financial constraints and the CapEx required to build, stock and maintain service centers is significant. NO EXCUSES for them but I do at least understand. They're torn between building cars and shipping spare part which, of course, could be used to build cars. I'm super impressed at what they've done in a short time, certainly better than any other auto start-up. Many have tried, all have failed.

I knew when I purchased the Tesla there were upsides and downsides, service and quality being one. The upsides, IMHO, significantly outweigh everything else. The technology, the updates, made in America, non-polluting, no gas stations, etc. all make it work for me.

Comparing a 7 year old company to Mercedes Benz is a tough battle to win. I've had MBs, BMWs, all of them. German vehicles are amazing engineering accomplishments that reflect the decades of experience they've had. They are also VERY expensive to repair, require repairs (and maintenance) frequently. I can remember $500 "minor services" on a MB back in the early 80's.

MB has been around awhile, sure. But I'm talking more about CS, and they have CS down. My wife drives the MB, and when she needs service (warranty) she is treated like a queen, and she can actually talk to someone. They literally tore part of the car apart the same day to repair a very minor cosmetic injury caused by a service tech. My Tesla app won't even list a Saturday service day 3 months out, or any months out. Musk is trying to make that price point of $35K. How will moms with 3 kids fix the car when it is needed? So yes I like my car, I love that I pass gas stations, and that it performs great. I dislike the bubbles in my screen, the rattles that come and go, the difficulty getting service not amenable to Ranger (screen), and the initial put-off of paying Tesla upfront the expected cost of gas savings when buying new (I bought CPO).

"Many have tried, all have failed."

We want this company to succeed. The smart bet is that it won't, yet here we all are.