Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Cam

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Will someone please help me out here.

My understanding is whenever you tap the camera icon, it saves a 1 minute clip. Is this true?

Is it a minute from the time you pushed it going forward? Back a minute?

I’ve clicked the icon a few times and when I go to review the video, it’s no where on my usb drive.

Assuming the USB stick is FAT32 and contains a directory named "TeslaCam" because you see the Camera Recording icon with red dot...
Permanently Save Up to the Past 10 Minutes
  1. Tap the Camera Recording icon.
  2. Notice icon switch from Camera Recording icon to Downloading icon.
  3. Wait for Downloading Icon to switch back to Camera Recording icon.
Do not exit Tesla.
Do not turn off Tesla.
At this time, the system is renaming the past ten 1 minute increments to the memory stick as "saved-front-YYYY-MM-DD_HH-MM.mp4". It takes time.
TeslaCam Instructions and Observations

Reactions: ONEDVSMOFO
You should only see the dashcam icon when the USB and TeslaCam folder has been detected by the car. As long as you are recording (red dot on icon), tapping the icon should change it to downloading for a few seconds before it returns to the recording icon. When you remove the USB drive and plug it into your computer you should see files for the last hour and groups of 10 files for each time you pressed for a download. If you remove the drive an hour or more since you used the car, the "last hour" files will have been erased, but the downloaded files should be there. When you press for a download you may get just the last 10 existing recording files. They might not contain the last minute before you requested the download, since that file was not written before your request. I don't know what happens if you download when the car has only been on for 8 minutes.

I'd say it sounds like nothing was downloaded and it was more than one hour between the last drive and pulling the USB from the car. Is there a chance there is a second USB drive (a music drive with another TeslaCam folder) that has the files? Make sure to pull the USB immediately after stopping to preserve the files from the last hour. Try the other USB port? That's all I can think of.

Only one USB drive plugged in. I was cut off, and nearly collided into head on, and after taking evasive maneuvers, I hit the camera button to record the event.

But nothing from the day was recorded. The file naming format is super annoying BTW. Times and date seem to be off.

I swapped out usb drives, just in case the first one was failing.

Only one USB drive plugged in. I was cut off, and nearly collided into head on, and after taking evasive maneuvers, I hit the camera button to record the event.

But nothing from the day was recorded. The file naming format is super annoying BTW. Times and date seem to be off.

I swapped out usb drives, just in case the first one was failing.

The time stamp is Zulu time or GMT if I remember correctly. So you need to convert the date/time from GMT to PST. You said nothing was recorded on that day... maybe you were looking at wrong date as GMT is 8 hours ahead of CA. If you saved anything, the file name will have a "saved-" tag in front of the filename.

The time stamp is Zulu time or GMT if I remember correctly. So you need to convert the date/time from GMT to PST. You said nothing was recorded on that day... maybe you were looking at wrong date as GMT is 8 hours ahead of CA. If you saved anything, the file name will have a "saved-" tag in front of the filename.

I’ve reformatted and I’m going to try some rest saves to see.

Anyone know if those usb drives that plug into your iPhone allow you to view the saved video files on your iPhone?