Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Camping

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The best thing for me to sleep in the rear of my MS was to accommodate the offset between the folded seat and the lower floor is some fairly stiff, thick and rigid cardboard, and then an inflatable mat, then a sleeping bag with a nice pillow.
With my head toward the rear, at least for me, my feet dangle a bit over the top of the folded rear seats.
You might need to move the front seats forward a bit if you are really tall.

There are at least a couple of small shelves toward the rear of the car where I stow my glasses at night.

On the subject of sleeping in a Tesla S, how could anyone be comfortable in the back, where seats don't fold perfectly flat?

The best thing for me to sleep in the rear of my MS was to accommodate the offset between the folded seat and the lower floor is some fairly stiff, thick and rigid cardboard, and then an inflatable mat, then a sleeping bag with a nice pillow.
With my head toward the rear, at least for me, my feet dangle a bit over the top of the folded rear seats.
You might need to move the front seats forward a bit if you are really tall.

There are at least a couple of small shelves toward the rear of the car where I stow my glasses at night.
6"2" here, but I fit. Wanted head fwd so I would be able to view big glass roof. Just not real flat.

I used a folded up bedspread under my air mattress to level the floor. It worked fine but the problem with sleeping in the back of the S is the low headroom. I'm more comfortable in my little tent.

Charging on TT-30 at the campground in Zion National Park:

View attachment 236159

View attachment 236160

Charging on 14-50 at the campground in Dead Horse Point State Park in Utah:
View attachment 236163

@dgpcolorado What was the TT-30 adaptor you used? Where did you buy it?

@dgpcolorado What was the TT-30 adaptor you used? Where did you buy it?
The one I use appears to be no longer sold:

201272520600_grande_ee9afe7a-3a0b-460e-a3a6-56dec933eca9_large.jpg

It has been replaced by a better design that is sold at places like EVSEadapters.com and Home Depot:

EVSE Charging Adapter RV TT-30P 30 Amp Plug to 50 Amp Electric Vehicle Adapter for Tesla Model S-EVTT30MS - The Home Depot
NEMA 14-50R to TT-30P Adapter for EV Charging at Campgrounds

However, if I were to purchase one now I think that I would go with this one:

ClearMax 10AWG Dogbone Electrical Adapter with Handles for RV - 30AMP TT-30 to NEMA 14-50 50AMP - 3750W/125V - ETL Approved - 18" - Black / Yellow - - Amazon.com
https://www.amazon.com/Dogbone-Elec...qid=1502743937&sr=8-4&keywords=tt-30+to+14-50
(User reports say that the first use of the 14-50R end is quite tight.)

The problem with the one I have is that the weight of the UMC tends to pull the adapter out of the TT-30 socket; I solve that problem by placing a bucket under the UMC to support it. The newer versions of adapters are better designed to avoid this problem.

Reactions: RockinWithKids
If I understand correctly, this one will work with the Model S without needing to modify the adapter?

Thanks

No, a standard TT-30 to 14-50 cable won't work with Tesla. The hot and neutral need to be swapped. You need a Tesla-specific adapter, and you need to label it for Tesla only so some RV'er doesn't use it and potentially get shocked.

This is the definitive tesla charger adapter bible: http://cosmacelf.net/Home Made Adapters.pdf "Many RV suppliers sell an RV “50 AMP to 30 AMP” adapter cable. THESE WILL NOT WORK WITH THE TESLA as they are wired incorrectly for the TESLA. "

• Informative
Reactions: dgpcolorado
No, a standard TT-30 to 14-50 cable won't work with Tesla. The hot and neutral need to be swapped. You need a Tesla-specific adapter, and you need to label it for Tesla only so some RV'er doesn't use it and potentially get shocked.

This is the definitive tesla charger adapter bible: http://cosmacelf.net/Home Made Adapters.pdf "Many RV suppliers sell an RV “50 AMP to 30 AMP” adapter cable. THESE WILL NOT WORK WITH THE TESLA as they are wired incorrectly for the TESLA. "
Thanks for that correction and warning, much appreciated. EVSEadapters.com used to sell a dogbone style adapter but no longer seem to have it; if the 14-50 end of the RV ones is molded it wouldn't be easy to rewire it. Anyway, the "L" adapter is more compact and should work fine without the weight of the UMC pulling it out of the outlet.

One more caveat that I hope has been mentioned before:

To use a TT-30 to 14-50 adapter the current in the car needs to be turned down to 24 amps on the charging screen. Otherwise it will try to draw 40 amps and trip the TT-30 pedestal circuit breaker, or worse.

[Those who want to get around the need to set the current could use the Tesla 14-30 UMC adapter, instead of the usual 14-50 adapter, but that would require cutting off the L-shaped neutral pin on the 14-30 so that it would fit the 14-50R on the TT-30P to 14-50R adapter. The Tesla 14-30 UMC adapter limits current draw by the car to 24 amps.]

The current slate of Tesla UMC adapters that can be ordered is here:

Model S/X NEMA Adapter

Some diagrams of the outlets (they are upside down, ground is usually installed up):

tt-30r.png

14-50r.png

nema14-30r.jpg

Last edited: