Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla CCS1 Combo Adapter - North America - (OEM - Original from Tesla)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
THEY ARE SOLD OUT. ---- Anyone have any other sources or suggestions?

Dear Customer

Thank you for ordering the CCS Combo 1 / CHAdeMO Adapter with us.

However, we regret to inform you that we currently do not have these in stock, and we are not sure when we will be able to restock them again.

We will be refunding your order, with the adapter case as well, if it is in your order.

Our finance department will be processing the refund the soonest.

THEY ARE SOLD OUT. ---- Anyone have any other sources or suggestions?

Dear Customer

Thank you for ordering the CCS Combo 1 / CHAdeMO Adapter with us.

However, we regret to inform you that we currently do not have these in stock, and we are not sure when we will be able to restock them again.

We will be refunding your order, with the adapter case as well, if it is in your order.

Our finance department will be processing the refund the soonest.
I've ordered the CCS1 to Tesla adapter from A2Z EV. Think they call it the Thunderstorm. There web site says production is complete for the first batch, shipping starts August 8th of this year. Appears to be similar to the adapter offered by Tesla. They claim that it has the same function and quality. Has the same requirement; model 3 and Y, late model, CCS1 adapter enabled.

In my opinion, having a CCS1 to Tesla adapter is a huge step forward for Tesla owners. We will be able to supercharge at Tesla AND non Tesla superchargers with CCS1 adapters. Basically, the vast majority of superchargers. A benefit that no other car brand currently enjoys.

Planning a road trip after receiving our adapter and will report my findings.

Reactions: kayak1 and ph0ton
I've ordered the CCS1 to Tesla adapter from A2Z EV. Think they call it the Thunderstorm. There web site says production is complete for the first batch, shipping starts August 8th of this year. Appears to be similar to the adapter offered by Tesla. They claim that it has the same function and quality. Has the same requirement; model 3 and Y, late model, CCS1 adapter enabled.

In my opinion, having a CCS1 to Tesla adapter is a huge step forward for Tesla owners. We will be able to supercharge at Tesla AND non Tesla superchargers with CCS1 adapters. Basically, the vast majority of superchargers. A benefit that no other car brand currently enjoys.

Planning a road trip after receiving our adapter and will report my findings.

I have one and it's so nice to take advantage of the free level 3 chargers at dealerships. A two hour wait is a long time but it's honestly not bad if you are on a long trip, and with how expensive superchargers are getting, great on my wallet. It won't last of course, but by that time there will be a level 3 charger at every corner and ostensibly the prices will come down from competition (as in gas stations).

I'll be taking a 6 hour trip next week and I'll try exclusively using free chargers or CCS1 paid chargers failing that. I'm sure the novelty will wear off but I recommend getting an adapter.

I have one and it's so nice to take advantage of the free level 3 chargers at dealerships. A two hour wait is a long time but it's honestly not bad if you are on a long trip, and with how expensive superchargers are getting, great on my wallet. It won't last of course, but by that time there will be a level 3 charger at every corner and ostensibly the prices will come down from competition (as in gas stations).

I'll be taking a 6 hour trip next week and I'll try exclusively using free chargers or CCS1 paid chargers failing that. I'm sure the novelty will wear off but I recommend getting an adapter.
The challenge has been getting a CCS1 to Tesla adapter for a reasonable price. Demand is high for good reason. Don't understand why Tesla hasn't ramped up production of the adapter and offered them in the USA, Canada and South Korea. The aftermarket is going to make a lotta money in the meantime. Can't wait for the adapter I ordered from A2Z EV to arrive.

I think Tesla has been reluctant to release it here in the US because they cannot or will not supply conversion kits or even the parts to finish off 20-21-22s that should have the correct board/harness etc. I dont see my 2019 M3 getting a kit any time soon or at a reasonable price even if they offer it. Which is why I got the Setec even though I wont get "supercharging" speeds. I can live with the 50Kw I do get. Beats 7 and I have a couple of free DC chargers near me. So life is good :D

Reactions: kayak1
Wasn't sure where else to report this but I thought I'd provide an update:

I successfully drove 600+ miles, mostly on free DC charging. I have to be honest and say it was worse than I thought it would be.

Most free DC chargers are on dealership lots and I had a few security peeps leering at me through their cars. It's not at all the chill experience of supercharging (at least here in the midwest). The other issue is that I haven't mastered my battery preconditioning, so I arrived at 3 separate chargers with an inadequately prepared pack and it was so slooooooooooooow to charge. This was completely unlike my previous trials of using my local supercharger as a final destination. Besides that, the DC fast charger behavior varied greatly with some preferring a start *before* I plugged in, while others immediately after, and still others with a slight delay.

I'm now a firm believer in the UX of the supercharger network and despite my misgivings of the proprietary nature (minus the patent poison pill), it just works.

When the free CCS worked, it was great, and knowing I have an option if a supercharger is out of the way is very comforting. I think the implementation of CCS is just too haphazard to rely on solely, and the Tesla not preconditioning really kills the charge rate. 50kw is actually plenty for roadtrips but if the pack is coming in cold, you can never quite reach the max rate.

Reactions: SteelClouds
Wasn't sure where else to report this but I thought I'd provide an update:

I successfully drove 600+ miles, mostly on free DC charging. I have to be honest and say it was worse than I thought it would be.

Most free DC chargers are on dealership lots and I had a few security peeps leering at me through their cars. It's not at all the chill experience of supercharging (at least here in the midwest). The other issue is that I haven't mastered my battery preconditioning, so I arrived at 3 separate chargers with an inadequately prepared pack and it was so slooooooooooooow to charge. This was completely unlike my previous trials of using my local supercharger as a final destination. Besides that, the DC fast charger behavior varied greatly with some preferring a start *before* I plugged in, while others immediately after, and still others with a slight delay.

I'm now a firm believer in the UX of the supercharger network and despite my misgivings of the proprietary nature (minus the patent poison pill), it just works.

When the free CCS worked, it was great, and knowing I have an option if a supercharger is out of the way is very comforting. I think the implementation of CCS is just too haphazard to rely on solely, and the Tesla not preconditioning really kills the charge rate. 50kw is actually plenty for roadtrips but if the pack is coming in cold, you can never quite reach the max rate.
Tesla should say that now that they sell a CCS adapter, they should support its use, including putting the CCS (and CdM) stations on the map, and preconditioning when you nav to them, and not warning you how you are going to run out of power when no tesla charger is near.

However, they sold a CdM adapter for years and never did this to support it so don't hold your breath.

What people do is nav to a supercharger in the Tesla that is beyond the CCS charger, and it preconditions. It annoys you when it keeps telling you to turn around. You must do your actual nav to the CCS on your phone.

• Informative
Reactions: ph0ton
Tesla should say that now that they sell a CCS adapter, they should support its use, including putting the CCS (and CdM) stations on the map, and preconditioning when you nav to them, and not warning you how you are going to run out of power when no tesla charger is near.

However, they sold a CdM adapter for years and never did this to support it so don't hold your breath.

What people do is nav to a supercharger in the Tesla that is beyond the CCS charger, and it preconditions. It annoys you when it keeps telling you to turn around. You must do your actual nav to the CCS on your phone.
Wish Tesla did the easiest thing, provide a pre-condition battery link on our screen. Provide information on when to use. Seems so simple.

Personally, I will only use my CCS1 adapter when a Tesla supercharger is not available. Nice knowing I have so many charging options. Tesla should make the adapter available in North America along with retrofit kits for older Tesla owners. In the meantime, we have aftermarket solutions along with the Tesla adapter from South Korea once available. Who knows when and for how long. That's why I ordered the A2Z EV CCS1 adapter from Canada.

Wish Tesla did the easiest thing, provide a pre-condition battery link on our screen. Provide information on when to use. Seems so simple.

Personally, I will only use my CCS1 adapter when a Tesla supercharger is not available. Nice knowing I have so many charging options. Tesla should make the adapter available in North America along with retrofit kits for older Tesla owners. In the meantime, we have aftermarket solutions along with the Tesla adapter from South Korea once available. Who knows when and for how long. That's why I ordered the A2Z EV CCS1 adapter from Canada.
While a button to turn on pre-condition is good, you will get the smartest pre-conditioning if it is combined with navigation to the charger. Most of the chargers are in the map (which comes from google) though I tend to use plugshare to find them. I don't recall if plugshare supports "Share with Tesla" to make you nav to it as I often do in google maps. Then the car can figure out how long it will take to get there, what loads the battery will take etc as it can do for supercharger nav. (Though it does not seem to be that smart, yet.)

However, this could also be done with a button saying "The location I just navigated to is for fast charging" rather than a pure manual turn-on.

However, the best thing would be to just treat them like superchargers. Make them charging stops on routes if they make sense (ie. there is no supercharger conveniently on the route, those would still be the first choice) Make them show up when you put the map into "show chargers mode." In show chargers mode you can select what type of chargers to show (SC, destination etc.) and the UI to add "CCS" is easy. Indeed, the first time you charge with CCS or CdM it can no that from then on you are interested in those stations.

Instead, they put most of their effort into FSD, rather than making the car better for users today.

FSD actually IS making the cars better for users today. With a MUCH higher return on investment. They just up the FSD price to $15K.

You can turn on CCS and CHAdeMO in nav apps like ABetterRoutePlanner, pretty soon you end up turning it back off as there are a ton of them out there that are NOT worth visiting.

When I precondition to stop at a CCS (just use nav to the Supercharger down the street) I get 43kW starting power, when I pull in cold I get 39kW. Not really as big a deal as it is pulling into a v3 Supercharger.

When I precondition to stop at a CCS (just use nav to the Supercharger down the street) I get 43kW starting power, when I pull in cold I get 39kW. Not really as big a deal as it is pulling into a v3 Supercharger.

Conversely, pulling in cold in a 25kw CCS charger started at 13kw for me. It barely ramps to 18kw vs starting at 18kw when warmed. That's what made my recent free CCS road-trip agonizing.

It's weirdly complex (and definitely not worth relying on only free or 25kw chargers). I can echo your experience on 50kw chargers.

Nice thing about being retired, I can catch up on Netflix while I CCS charge for free up and down California. All the free miles I got on my old CHAdeMO adapter would have cost my old 24 MPG Volvo about $15,000 in $4/gal. gasoline. Just hitting 125,000 miles on my TM3.

I also have solar at home, so it's rare for me to pay for driving, other than tires, so I buy those used off Craigslist, spent as little as $10 for two with 8/32nds of tread left.

• Funny
I can’t find it in their shop.
Not showing for me either. My guess, they are posting on the Tesla app by areas out of concern they will run out of stock.

No biggie, I had already purchased an aftermarket adapter from A2Z EV out of Canada. Has worked just fine. If buying today, I'd go with the Tesla adapter.

From what I've read Tesla is limiting sales to Tesla owners that own a CCS adapter enabled vehicle. Limit one per qualifying customer. They want to keep retailers from buying all the inventory and then jacking up prices, that's my guess.

They are also going to offer hardware and software upgrades to the older models so they can take advantage of the CCS1 adapter. This will happen in early 2023.

Shows for me, placed my order earlier today:

Reactions: Cyberspeed
Added good news for those buying a CCS1 adapter, prices have really come down. Tesla priced there adapter at $250. Forcing aftermarket adapters to drop prices. The adapter I purchased a little over one month ago from A2Z EV for $300 is now $227, another aftermarket adapter is online for $199. All great news for current buyers. If I had not already purchased a aftermarket adapter I'd buy the Tesla adapter today. Having an adapter adds piece of mind.