Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla CHAdeMO adapter to provide V2G?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've been looking at the CHAdeMO spec and find there is a provision for it to provide voltage OUT of the vehicle. This would expose the 375VDC battery to something outside the car to convert it to 1-3phase AC. There is a part of the Tesla warranty that states the 12V battery may not be used to power a home, but if this is run through CHAdeMO, would this still pertain?

Nissan has a "Leaf to Home" device and Honda just announced a "Power Exporter" device. Both of these use CHAdeMO to connect to a vehicle (BEV or FCEV) and provide AC power in the 5kW to 9kW range. Both of those devices are only sold in Japan, so they are 100VAC nominal, possibly 200VAC split phase, switchable 50/60Hz since different parts of Japan happen to use each frequency.

Anything specific to the Tesla adapter or policies is unknown, at least to me. The CHAdeMO spec clearly provides a method to signal the car to connect the battery directly to the CHAdeMO port. It would also be possible for Tesla to implement a timeout such that if there was no current flowing into the car within a certain period, it would abort and disconnect the port from the battery. They should also be able to detect current flowing out of the battery and would be technically able to abort on that condition too.

Tesla is quite clear in their warrantee about issues pertaining to V2G. In addition, I'm quite confident that they have disabled any possibility of the adapter to be used for such purposes.

In a nutshell, if you want to use vehicle to grid with the Tesla battery in your car, you're going to have to build it yourself.

This is what the warranty says, specifically:

"Warranty limitations
This New Vehicle Limited Warranty does not cover any vehicle damage or malfunction directly or indirectly caused
by, due to or resulting from normal wear or deterioration, abuse, misuse, negligence, accident, lack of or improper
maintenance, operation, storage or transport, including, but not limited to, any of the following:

-Using the vehicle as a stationary power source"

That just means if you're using it as V2G or V2H, anything that's damaged isn't covered. That makes sense because in V2G mode, you are directly exposing the battery to outside the car. If you're using a V2G inverter, any malfunction of it could damage the battery. One would hope the V2G device's warranty would cover any damage it might cause.

I think Tesla's current "V2G" strategy is the PowerWall, now. But, they could develop a Tesla-specific V2G inverter that would have end-to-end warranty coverage. It would be great to be able to charge up at night, then allow the car to drain down to 50% or so providing power to the house.