Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla charger installation question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Had a Tesla Wall charger installed yesterday. I had one of the Tesla recommended companies do the work, MCW Electrical.

It took the 3 guys (YES, 3 OF THEM) nearly 3 hours to do the install. Should it normally take that long? Are they really that difficult to install?

I felt like the chap that was doing the majority of the work was a junior of some description, but I felt like it was just so long winded and really left me questionning what was happening and I felt I had to listen to all of the conversation because I felt like 2 of the guys doing the work were very amateurish.

Last point, I hsd to ask them to check something because there wasnt power to half the house. May have just been fuses not been turned back on but this is basic.

Thoughts?

I can't speak to the hours involved as mine hasn't yet been installed. In fact, yesterday I was told that they are putting all installs on hold due to COVID-19. So I think I will be stuck with the 3-pin plug for the foreseeable future !

Hopefully you were quoted a fixed price so, regardless of the hours you are not paying more.

And you can think of me and my 3-pin plug whilst you enjoy your 7KwH charging ! ;)

• Informative
Reactions: stonecoldrmw
Unless your paying by the hour per man - who cares how long it took?

If it works and your happy with the cost before the install, then move on.

Mine took 2 visits, 2 men, about 5 hours total but it was a fixed price so it could have been 20 hours and 10 men, doesn't make a difference to me.

Reactions: stonecoldrmw
Unless your paying by the hour per man - who cares how long it took?

If it works and your happy with the cost before the install, then move on.

Mine took 2 visits, 2 men, about 5 hours total but it was a fixed price so it could have been 20 hours and 10 men, doesn't make a difference to me.

I think you missed what i was getting at.

My question was more that i wanted to understand how other people's experience went because 2 of the 3 guys I had, it felt to me like they didn't have a clue. I wanted get a sense from others as to how long it took to gage if they should have sorted it quicker/the level of numptiness.

It took one guy 1 hour and 15 minutes. All he had to do was run a whip 3' from the panel, attach the charger to the wall and install the wires. We designed our house to have the capacity for charging two cars and had plenty of room in the panel boxes. Everything tested out well on the install and electrical side.

I'm have trouble commissioning the charger. I can connect my phone to the charger but the website for the commissioning seems to be down. I've check the website from a couple of different phones and my desktop computer. No go for that last step.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks.