Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla charger

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When the iPhone 6 came out, wasn't Apple's recommendation (at that time) to discharge the battery down to zero at least once per month?
Very unlikely. Lithium batteries don’t like to be discharged to zero.

Regardless, maybe my phone analogy was a bad one. I just assumed everyone plugs in their phone every night without thinking about it or checking the charge level, so they could relate to plugging in the car every night the same way.

Regardless, maybe my phone analogy was a bad one. I just assumed everyone plugs in their phone every night without thinking about it or checking the charge level, so they could relate to plugging in the car every night the same way.

Fair enough but what about folks who don't drive everyday, or perhaps only every third day? Is it "better" for the battery life to remain plugged in all the time, and just remain at ~80% charge constantly?

So we have 2 orders in for model 3s. We recently bought a house that said it was prewired for everything charger. This is what they meant in the garage. Will this work for a Tesla charger? How fast will it charge? Can we plug a Tesla wall charger into this or do they have to be hardwired? It has on it:
Nema 14-50R 50A 125/250V.

Did they install one or two 14-50's?

If your panel is in the garage, i would recommend having them install second 14-50' installed on a separate 50A circuit so you can charge BOTH model 3s at the same time, maybe even one closer to the garage door so you could charge one outside if you wanted to.

Building code info:
It is against code to share a single circuit with two car charging stations regardless if it can handle the load. Why,because you can plug two cars in and overload the circuit.
One exception is that if the charger does AUTOMATIC load sharing (will reduce charging rate on one, if a second car is plugged in) The HWPC is the only thing that will do this legally (or other brand chargers.)

For resale i would do one 14-50, and for your second charger do a HWPC so that other peple with different cars than tesla can charge.

Fair enough but what about folks who don't drive everyday, or perhaps only every third day? Is it "better" for the battery life to remain plugged in all the time, and just remain at ~80% charge constantly?
The manual suggests that it is better to keep it plugged in at all times.

About the Battery
Model 3 has one of the most sophisticated battery systems in the world. The most important way to preserve the Battery is to LEAVE YOUR VEHICLE PLUGGED IN when you are not using it. This is particularly important if you are not planning to drive Model 3 for several weeks. When plugged in, Model 3 wakes up when needed to automatically maintain a charge level that maximizes the lifetime of the Battery. There is no advantage to waiting until the Battery’s level is low before charging. In fact, the Battery performs best when charged regularly

• Informative
Reactions: patrick42h
That’s not what you are supposed to do. Have you read the manual? The part about the battery that is IN UPPER CASE AND BOLD PRINT LIKE THIS?

Plug the car in every night. Don’t wait until you think it “needs it”. Let the battery management system manage the battery.

You don’t decide whether or not to plug your phone in at night based on how much charge it has left or how much you plan to use it the next day, do you? You just plug it in. Do the same for the Tesla.

Dude, relax. Sheesh.

There is a ton of data that suggest batteries last longer when maintained between 50-80%. Letting it discharge down every once in a while is supposed to be good for batteries. I read manuals and read the one for the Model 3 three times. But I do not blindly follow all directions. I research and do what I think is best. Many days we put 20 miles on the car. I'm not going to ping pong between 75-80% all the time.

Suggestion: you do you and let me do me.

Dude, relax. Sheesh.

There is a ton of data that suggest batteries last longer when maintained between 50-80%. Letting it discharge down every once in a while is supposed to be good for batteries. I read manuals and read the one for the Model 3 three times. But I do not blindly follow all directions. I research and do what I think is best. Many days we put 20 miles on the car. I'm not going to ping pong between 75-80% all the time.

Suggestion: you do you and let me do me.
Sounds good. I’ll continue to do what Tesla recommends (as I started doing 5 years ago with my Model S) and you do what you think is best. But for those owners who have not read the manual, and aren’t aware of Tesla’s recommendation to “LEAVE YOUR VEHICLE PLUGGED IN when you are not using it” (their upper case, not mine) perhaps my post and those by others such as @chronopc will be helpful.

Thanks @TexasEV. Sorry if I sounded frustrated. I do understand what Tesla recommends in their manual and I appreciate you bringing that up for folks who need it. I just don't react well to people telling ME what to do when they don't know my circumstances or assume it's due to ignorance.

But point taken.

Honestly I'm not sure I would trust a builder installed 14-50 outlet. https://www.tesla.com/sites/default/files/downloads/US/universalmobileconnector_nema_14-50.pdf explicitly mentions 2 brands of high quality, industrial grade receptacle.

Also since you will have 2 cars needing charging the 2x HPWC route seems to be the way to go.

Why do you not trust the builder? It seems stupid for a developer to promote offering a NEMA 14-50 outlet and not build to code (chances are the inspector may not notice when during final inspection but it is a huge risk to take for such a small item). At that point, you should be more concerned about the entire electrical system or plumbing system for the house.

What do you mean did the builder confirm that? They didn't confirm anything, just stated the house is prewired for EV charging and that is what is written on the plug. How would I verify without paying for an electrician?
You would need to open your circuit breaker box and see what amperage breaker it has. Each breaker is labeled on the switch with the amperage and hopefully there will be a decent label inside the box that shows you which breaker is connected to the outlet in the garage. You never want to rely on the label being correct without testing it yourself - easiest way is to measure the outlet with a multimeter or tester, then turn off the breaker you think is the correct one and measure again. Once you've verified which breaker is connected to the outlet, you'll know exactly how much power it will provide and how fast you can charge.

Why do you not trust the builder? It seems stupid for a developer to promote offering a NEMA 14-50 outlet and not build to code (chances are the inspector may not notice when during final inspection but it is a huge risk to take for such a small item). At that point, you should be more concerned about the entire electrical system or plumbing system for the house.

I would not trust the builder to use a high quality, industrial grade receptacle. If you are going to be unplugging and plugging back in I think a non-high quality, industrial grade receptacle is likely to break or become lose.