Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla chargers are not for parking

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When I arrived he apologized for hogging up the spot and didn't realize there could be others that might need charging.

Therein lies much of the problem. Too many people live in a vacuum.

The hotel management needs to be made aware of this too and establish some sort of policy or protocol for the front desk to follow when demand for destination chargers outstrips supply. We may not feel comfortable leaving our phone number on the dash, but the front desk should have it and be able to contact us either on our phone on on the room phone to notify us that there is another person who needs some time at the plug.

We’re on a 2,000 mile road trip, and it has basically been wonderful, with Tesla Superchargers used for virtually every stop. We wanted to do one destination stay at the Mariott in Salt Lake City, which has 2 Tesla chargers. We called ahead, but they couldn’t confirm their availability, so we stopped to check. Luckily, we didn’t get our room first, because a Model X and a Model S were parked, not charging. They clearly hadn’t been charging, because their cars were parked in the wrong direction. They were only using the chargers as convenient parking spaces. We had to find another hotel without a charger, then find the supercharger the next morning. The whole process added over an 1 1/2 hours to our trip.
Please be considerate and not use chargers for parking spaces. You are no different than the the idiots in ices parking in chargers. Thank you.
Next time take a picture and post it here! This is not acceptable. They are hooked up to avoid overtime fees! Show a date/time stamp if you can.

Stopped by for a bite at LuLu's (Jimmy Buffet's sister) restaurant down here in Gulf Shores, AL today and was pleased to see that the EV CHARGING spots have brightly colored pastel (beach theme color I guess) traffic cones as a polite reminder to guest that the intended purpose of the said spots is for CHARGING, Tesla and J1772. Nice approach, if you are going to park your vehicle there it is for the designed purpose of charging and not because you are "special". Down here we say "bless his heart" as a polite way to call someone a dumb ass nicely.

Reactions: wipster
I recently stayed at a hotel with a tesla charger available in the parking garage. Spot was painted red and said “Tesla Only”. Was happy to see it empty upon arrival. Once I was full, I moved my car out of the spot. Never saw another Tesla using the spot but I know I would have been upset if someone was in it without using it and I needed it.
Perhaps a better message would be "For Tesla Charging Only" in order to keep them from being used the way Handicapped or Disabled Parking is. Personally I would be a bit disgruntled if parking spots were just reserved for Teslas and there are enough folks who don't like Teslas anyway, doesn't make sense to give them a real reason.

Reactions: ReddykwRun
If it was a Tesla HPWC and the cable was a 24’ cable, could you have parked in front of the 2 Teslas and still be able to have traffic drive past? I would have plugged in and left a note saying I’d be back in a few hours or leave your number for them to contact you so you can explain to them that it’s not alright to use the charging space as a convenient parking space if a charge is not needed.
It was in a multi-story parking structure, and I would have blocked the entire entrance, so that wasn’t possible.

If it was a Tesla HPWC and the cable was a 24’ cable, could you have parked in front of the 2 Teslas and still be able to have traffic drive past? I would have plugged in and left a note saying I’d be back in a few hours or leave your number for them to contact you so you can explain to them that it’s not alright to use the charging space as a convenient parking space if a charge is not needed.

That occurred to me as well. It’s. Little aggressive but deserved, I think.

It was in a multi-story parking structure, and I would have blocked the entire entrance, so that wasn’t possible.
I was parking at a hotel this week in Canada that had 2 Tesla chargers and one was taken. I took the other.

I had read some of your post that day and was worried about blocking another user after my car had charged. So I let the hotel have my number and asked them to call me if anyone needed the space.

We definitely need to be considerate of others coming behind us.

Typical human behavior. We have the same issue at work where the L2 chargers are hogged by EVs all day long because they are right next to the entrance. Preferred parking.

Facilities added big lights to indicate if it’s charging or not. They’ll roll out consequences if people leave their EVs there if the lights indicate that charging has stopped.

Within a 12 month period:
First violation = warning
Second violation = Manager is informed
Third violation = termination of employment

Typical human behavior. We have the same issue at work where the L2 chargers are hogged by EVs all day long because they are right next to the entrance. Preferred parking.

Facilities added big lights to indicate if it’s charging or not. They’ll roll out consequences if people leave their EVs there if the lights indicate that charging has stopped.

Within a 12 month period:
First violation = warning
Second violation = Manager is informed
Third violation = termination of employment
Thats pretty awesome

Reactions: APotatoGod
Regret, the best teacher at peanut butter at $1.99 a jar. Remember the spackle knife.
Vaseline on the wipers and door handles also produces memorably short learning curve.
Stock it in your glove compartment, along with a glove of course. ICEcapades.
Ignorance and inconvenience deserves a like reward.

Peanut-Butter-Jelly-Time-30559.jpg