Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla charging both destination fee and transportation fee

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Did anyone else get charged for both destination fee and transport fee? I am from CT and supposed to pick up my model 3 from RI Tesla dealer and now it changed to NY dealer and they are charging $500 fee. Before this I had no balance due. Please advise

Everyone pays vehicle destination fee. Transportation fee is charged when you request a car be moved from one location to another. You state "I was supposed to pick up from RI tesla dealer and now it changed to NY dealer". If YOU didnt request to change it, or order an in stock vehicle at one place they have to move to another, then you shouldnt pay both fees.

If, however, you ordered an in stock vehicle at one place and they need to move it for you to take delivery somewhere else, then you would pay transportation fee. Destination fee doesnt have anything to do with that.

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
Upvote 0
Everyone pays vehicle destination fee. Transportation fee is charged when you request a car be moved from one location to another. You state "I was supposed to pick up from RI tesla dealer and now it changed to NY dealer". If YOU didnt request to change it, or order an in stock vehicle at one place they have to move to another, then you shouldnt pay both fees.

If, however, you ordered an in stock vehicle at one place and they need to move it for you to take delivery somewhere else, then you would pay transportation fee. Destination fee doesnt have anything to do with that.
I was told “since you are CT resident you can not take delivery in RI. I have moved your delivery appointment to NY.” My delivery date is tomorrow and they changed it last minute with this excuse and charged me for it. I didn’t request it. I might have to fight with for $500

Upvote 0
I was told “since you are CT resident you can not take delivery in RI. I have moved your delivery appointment to NY.” My delivery date is tomorrow and they changed it last minute with this excuse and charged me for it. I didn’t request it. I might have to fight with for $500
A quick search shows that the EV Club of CT agrees with their reasoning. They say:

The laws prohibiting sales also prohibit delivery. This applies even if you lease a vehicle in Milford. If you live in the eastern or northern part of the state, Tesla stores in MA or RI are NOT a delivery option (different state laws).
I ran into a similar problem when I bought a Tesla in New Mexico. The sales agents were not familiar with the nitty gritty of the rules. At first I was told I could pick up the car in El Paso, TX which is only 2.5 hours away. Then after I bought it I was told this was not an option and I would have to pick it up in Colorado, 700 miles away, or have it delivered from there. I ended up paying an additional $750 transportation fee. I also had to pay in full before they would deliver the car.

If you get to pick it up from a Tesla center somewhere from actual Tesla employees then you are well ahead of the horrible ordeal I went through. But on the plus side, the memory of the terrible delivery day faded quickly while the joy of driving a Tesla continues on.

Upvote 0
I would first and foremost be angry with and write to your elected state government for maintaining dealer protection laws that harm consumers.

I also get the frustration with Tesla because they should be very familiar with this by now and should have arranged a valid delivery location up front, with any necessary fees accounted for up front as well. Plus if they did that in the first place they probably wouldn't be charging a transportation fee at all.

Morally I think Tesla should waive the transportation fee in this particular case, but I would not get my hopes up about that actually happening. Good luck!

Reactions: jjrandorin
Upvote 0

Assuming this was a custom order, Tesla should've shipped the car to a location where you can take delivery. That's what the $1,390 destination fee is for. If they shipped it to the "wrong" location (RI) and have to move it to a different location (NY), you should not be responsible for the $500 cost to do so. This was their error, not yours.

Upvote 0
Assuming this was a custom order, Tesla should've shipped the car to a location where you can take delivery. That's what the $1,390 destination fee is for. If they shipped it to the "wrong" location (RI) and have to move it to a different location (NY), you should not be responsible for the $500 cost to do so. This was their error, not yours.

If that is the set of circumstances, I definitely agree with you. If, however, the car is an in stock car that happens to be in RI that the OP ordered, then thats a different circumstance. We dont know unless the OP tells us if it was a custom order or an in stock vehicle.

Upvote 0

wow...you can thank your local government agencies for their ridiculous archaic dealership laws.

what a joke

Tesla needs to eat it on this one since they knew this was going to happen and should have adverstised the proper transport fees

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Did anyone else get charged for both destination fee and transport fee? I am from CT and supposed to pick up my model 3 from RI Tesla dealer and now it changed to NY dealer and they are charging $500 fee. Before this I had no balance due. Please advise
My M3 was originally supposed to be delivered today Pittsburgh. Saturday they told me moved to Thursday. Today I received a call that it was still in train and would need to move it to Friday the 31st. About an hour ago they called and said it was in Chicago and would I be willing to take delivery in Columbus I said if it gets it me before Saturday. Which is a 2hr 15 min drive for me. Long story short I also got charged the $500 reached out to advisor awaiting their response. Taxes went up. Payment went up $15 on 36 mo 15k lease. How do taxes increase I haven’t moved in the last hr and a half

Upvote 0
My M3 was originally supposed to be delivered today Pittsburgh. Saturday they told me moved to Thursday. Today I received a call that it was still in train and would need to move it to Friday the 31st. About an hour ago they called and said it was in Chicago and would I be willing to take delivery in Columbus I said if it gets it me before Saturday. Which is a 2hr 15 min drive for me. Long story short I also got charged the $500 reached out to advisor awaiting their response. Taxes went up. Payment went up $15 on 36 mo 15k lease. How do taxes increase I haven’t moved in the last hr and a half

If the payment went up then one would expect taxes to go up too; Tesla is charging you $500 plus tax spread over 36 months. However, if this was a custom order for delivery in Pittsburgh and THEY changed it, you should not be responsible for the $500. Are they no longer willing to deliver it in Pittsburgh as originally planned?

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin
Upvote 0
If the payment went up then one would expect taxes to go up too; Tesla is charging you $500 plus tax spread over 36 months. However, if this was a custom order for delivery in Pittsburgh and THEY changed it, you should not be responsible for the $500. Are they no longer willing to deliver it in Pittsburgh as originally planned?
They said it did not make it off train but are still delivering to Columbus OH because I will register in OH. On website when I ordered an inventory M3 it said OH was not a date I could register it in. After talking to SA they told me that is not a problem. When Columbus called me they said Pittsburgh Tesla had registration issues and moved me to OH

Upvote 0
They said it did not make it off train but are still delivering to Columbus OH because I will register in OH. On website when I ordered an inventory M3 it said OH was not a date I could register it in. After talking to SA they told me that is not a problem. When Columbus called me they said Pittsburgh Tesla had registration issues and moved me to OH

If Tesla is the one making the decision to change delivery locations, you shouldn't be responsible for any related costs.

Reactions: tm1v2
Upvote 0
UPDATE: I had to call them repeatedly to remove the $500 transportation fee and they eventually dropped it. I hope they do the same for you.

Reactions: tm1v2
Upvote 0