Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Charging in SF - Can you help?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi, I'm looking to find somewhere to charge Tesla #718
I've been trying to find places to charge in San Francisco.
While there are 3 ChargePoint stations that have should work as long as you have a J1772 adapter, ChargePoint stations aren't Tesla compatible.

My condo building and my office parking garage both won't let me charge in the building because there is no way to monitor the energy consumption.

I'm one of the founders of a peer-to-peer car sharing co. in San Francisco/Bay Area called Getaround. It lets car owners share their cars with people that need access to a car. We're lucky to have a Tesla being shared through Getaround, but the owner lives 2 hours outside of the city and we haven't been able to find anywhere to charge.

If you have extra space in your garage and a 220 outlet, please direct message me. I'd love to work out an arrangement to be able to either charge and/or store the Tesla at yours.

Thank you!
Jessica

While there are 3 ChargePoint stations that have should work as long as you have a J1772 adapter, ChargePoint stations aren't Tesla compatible.

My condo building and my office parking garage both won't let me charge in the building because there is no way to monitor the energy consumption.

I'm one of the founders of a peer-to-peer car sharing co. in San Francisco/Bay Area called Getaround. It lets car owners share their cars with people that need access to a car. We're lucky to have a Tesla being shared through Getaround, but the owner lives 2 hours outside of the city and we haven't been able to find anywhere to charge.

If you have extra space in your garage and a 220 outlet, please direct message me. I'd love to work out an arrangement to be able to either charge and/or store the Tesla at yours.

Thank you!
Jessica
Your welcome to use my Tesla HPC (70a/208v) in Oakland if that helps.

Also in Oakland/Piedmont you can charge at my place. I suggest you contact Luscious Garage, they specialize in Hybrid/electric conversions and host the S.F. Electric Vehicle Association. The owner was fawning over my Tesla and I bet she would love to get involved. It's kind of sad that there are not many public places which are Tesla compatible in S.F. But BetterPlace is supposed to be starting up in S.F. and new Columb Chargepoints are appearing weekly. The J1772 roleout is ramping up.

Thank you!
Jessica

Hi Jessica,

I also live in a condo\apartment complex and have been working on a solution to charging a future electric car.
Our owner’s corporation recently passed a by-law (Condo rules) to allow owners to install a separate electricity service for their garage space to charge a plug in vehicle.
We got around the energy consumption issue by ruling that the service can be no more than 240v, 32 amps and single phase.
I live in Sydney Australia so I don't know how applicable this would be for San Francisco but PM me if you want me to send you a copy of the by-law.

I live in an apartment building with underground parking and the building put in a dedicated outlet with its own meter for me. They didn't charge me for the installation and just charge me normal rates for the electricity I use. I would think that your condo building would let you charge if you told them you'd pay for the install of the needed hardware. That's what I would have done if my building wouldn't have been nice enough to install my hardware with no cost to me. Since I live in an apartment I did have the added leverage that I could have easily moved (my lease was up and I was staying month to month, but would have been fine with paying for the hardware installation).

I had also told them that if metering my outlet was a problem that we could reasonably estimate my power usage and make sure that I definitely paid for at least a little more than I used to make sure they didn't lose money on the service they were providing me.

Thanks everyone for the information and generous offers! I've been working with Columb Tech since their charging stations aren't Tesla compatible right now.
In the next couple weeks the one at Pier 27 should be Tesla compatible. I'll post back here to confirm when it is!

tennis_trs you have an awesome building! I wish mine were so rational.