Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Dash Cam Storage

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You need to save a clip. You can set this to do it automatically or on the beep of a horn etc. Basically if you can see it on viewer on the main screen then it’s saved on the USB. This can then be removed and watched on a laptop etc.

Sentry Events are all saved until deleted.
Thanks. Is it right that you can only save the last 10 mins of footage then? I thought it was like a normal dashcam, constantly recording and saving until full.

Upvote 0
Is the recorded footage only viewable on the main screen if you press save, and if the drive is removed and plugged into a PC can any footage be seen if you've not saved it? Thanks.

Yes! A lot! I recently made a copy of the contents of my 500 Gig TeslaCam device. Here is a summary:
Code:
6.8G    RecentClips
1.6G    SavedClips
4.8G    SentryClips
 14G    total

SentryClips and SavedClips contain folders with names that are date/time codes corresponding to sentry events and "save" events. The RecentClips folder contains video files directly that are named with date/time codes and camera locations. The folders under SentryClips contain the same type of files. These folders also contain event.json files that have information about the event.

Even if nothing has been saved and no sentry events have occurred, there should be plenty of video under RecentClips. Mine contained 188 files corresponding to 4 camera positions and roughly 45 minutes of video for each camera.

Reactions: asl3312
Upvote 0
Yes! A lot! I recently made a copy of the contents of my 500 Gig TeslaCam device. Here is a summary:
Code:
6.8G    RecentClips
1.6G    SavedClips
4.8G    SentryClips
 14G    total

SentryClips and SavedClips contain folders with names that are date/time codes corresponding to sentry events and "save" events. The RecentClips folder contains video files directly that are named with date/time codes and camera locations. The folders under SentryClips contain the same type of files. These folders also contain event.json files that have information about the event.

Even if nothing has been saved and no sentry events have occurred, there should be plenty of video under RecentClips. Mine contained 188 files corresponding to 4 camera positions and roughly 45 minutes of video for each camera.
Thank you!

Upvote 0
I read this but was confused with the 10 minute and clip saving part.
If I plug my drive into my pc am I able to view the footage if I have not physically pressed save?
With Dashcam active, it automatically records the last 45-60 mins. It constantly overwrites that recording unless a segment is saved using the Auto, Manual or On Honk setting. These segments show the 10 mins prior to the activation event and will not be overwritten. All recordings can be viewed either in car or, if you remove the USB, via a PC or other device.

It is not the same as a traditional dashcam as the looped recording only contains the last 45-60 mins. You cannot view events that happened earlier than this unless a saved 10 min event has been created. For example, if your journey is 2hs long, you cannot retrospectively view the entire first hour of the journey. You will only see the second hour of your journey and any 10 min ‘saved’ segments activated.

Reactions: asl3312
Upvote 0