Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Energy now offers XL Solar

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla now officers X-Large size (15.2 kW) as an option for solar installation. Previously there was three options: Small (3.8 kW), Medium (7.6 kW), and Large (11.4 kW). Roughly 12 solar panels per 3.8 kW (12 x 315 W).

Pricing in California (excluding incentives) is now $11,273 for Small, $20,546 for Medium, $30,319 for Large, and $39,093 for X-Large. See below screen capture. I noticed there was a price increase from my previous install price of $10,773 for a small system.

Capture.JPG

One can add Powerwall(s) with the Solar installation. A Powerwall is added for each size increase. Total pricing in California (excluding incentives) is $21,786 for Small (1 Powerwall), $34,571 for Medium (2 Powerwalls), $47,857 for Large (3 Powerwalla), and $61,227 for X-Large (4 Powerwalls). See below screen capture.

Capture2.JPG

A $1,000 discount for those affected by outages due to wildfires is available.

Capture3.JPG

I worked up a quick table. Assuming in CA with 9% sales tax applied to PW hardware and one is able to take advantage of the $1,000 discount for those affected by outages due to wildfires.

View attachment 487677

Pricing has changed to rounded numbers for the cash price and the wildfire incentive was removed. The price change is overall lower as Tesla mitigated for the reduced federal tax credit for Solar and Solar + Powerwall Install. No change in cash price for installation of powerwall(s) only (4% tax credit loss).

Capture2.JPG

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin
@GenSao is the Solar + Powerwall the SGIP credit amount? We’re looking at going with Tesla as installer and they are fully subscribed for their credit from what I can tell. We are in the fire zone shut off so understand we can get that amount off though.
@SMAlset Nope. Table excludes SGIP. If you are on the fence, keep an eye out for an update to the SGIP. Per the CPUC:

"As of December 2019, all SGIP PAs are in Step 5 for residential storage incentives but insufficient funding remains in this step, so over 1,380 projects have been waitlisted as of December 2019"

Seven Percent ($56,978,670) will be allocated to residential storage incentives smaller than or equal to 10 kilowatt hours for 2020-2024. Two new steps are created and incentive funds for approximately 30,000 new residential systems across Step 6 and Step 7.

Capture-SGIP.JPG

Edit: And today, the CPUC approved the proposal.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: SMAlset
@SMAlset Nope. Table excludes SGIP. If you are on the fence, keep an eye out for an update to the SGIP. Per the CPUC:

"As of December 2019, all SGIP PAs are in Step 5 for residential storage incentives but insufficient funding remains in this step, so over 1,380 projects have been waitlisted as of December 2019"

Seven Percent ($56,978,670) will be allocated to residential storage incentives smaller than or equal to 10 kilowatt hours for 2020-2024. Two new steps are created and incentive funds for approximately 30,000 new residential systems across Step 6 and Step 7.

View attachment 501675

Edit: And today, the CPUC approved the proposal.

One quick question: shouldn't that be "small residential systems smaller than or equal to 10 kilowatts," rather than "kilowatt hours?" As far as I know, the sizing is by inverter output rather than storage capacity. The table seems to reflect that.

I say this mainly because I wouldn't want anyone to inappropriately think Powerwalls were excluded from the program.

One quick question: shouldn't that be "small residential systems smaller than or equal to 10 kilowatts," rather than "kilowatt hours?" As far as I know, the sizing is by inverter output rather than storage capacity. The table seems to reflect that.

I say this mainly because I wouldn't want anyone to inappropriately think Powerwalls were excluded from the program.

Yes, you are correct. It should be kilowatts.

Who pays the incentive and how does one apply? How would the PW capacity be rated?

The respective California utility pays for the incentive. Currently Step 5 is wait listed for all utilities.

According to the SGIP website, "Additional funds to the Self-Generation Incentive Program (SGIP) have been allocated to the Small Residential Storage Budget. The transfer will be completed by end of day Friday, January 10, 2020. Please note this only applies to Step 5 of the Small Residential Storage General Market Budget."

The utilities likely will clear out their Step 5 backlog first before allowing new customers to apply for Step 6 ($0.20/Wh). You'll have to work with your installer to qualify. Each installer historically is limited to 20% of the budget. Tesla will be maxed out very quickly. Others that max out (or have a high percentage) include Sunrun Installation Services, Solar 4 America, Swell Services Inc., Sullivan Solar Power, Inc., LA Solar Group, and Semper Solaris.

Rresidential SGIP rebates is limited to a total continuous power output of up to 10 kW. Powerwall 2 has a power output of 5 kW each, so two Powerwall 2 can qualify. This excluded peak power output.

The rebate amount is based on the the capacity of the battery. 100% for the two hours of discharge, and 50% there after. More specifically per the SGIP manual:

capture-manual-jpg.501813

Thus for each Powerwall 2, on Step 6 ($0.20/Wh) would qualify for $2,320.00 rebate (100% x $0.20/Wh x 10,000 Wh + 50% x $0.20/Wh x 3,200 Wh x 50%).

Thank you very much for posting this information, @GenSao! Is it your opinion that those of us who were just installed by tesla at the beginning of 2020 (or end of 2019) would likely be eligible for step 6? Tesla had no availability for Step 5, but I would imagine if I was just installed by them I might be able to get into step 6.

$2320 per powerwall would be super nice, especially since I was not expecting to be able to take advantage of SGIP since tesla was over subscribed. I know I have to apply through my installer, but tesla is usually slow on this type of thing so wanted to get your opinion on if you thought we would be able to push tesla to do this or not.

Reactions: jboy210
Thank you very much for posting this information, @GenSao! Is it your opinion that those of us who were just installed by tesla at the beginning of 2020 (or end of 2019) would likely be eligible for step 6? Tesla had no availability for Step 5, but I would imagine if I was just installed by them I might be able to get into step 6.

$2320 per powerwall would be super nice, especially since I was not expecting to be able to take advantage of SGIP since tesla was over subscribed. I know I have to apply through my installer, but tesla is usually slow on this type of thing so wanted to get your opinion on if you thought we would be able to push tesla to do this or not.

It is possible to be eligible for Step 6, but depends on how Tier 6 is finally introduced, modified, and impacted with any other backlog.

As noted earlier, additional funds to SGIP have been allocated and transferred to the Small Residential Storage Budget on Friday, January 10, 2020. As this only applies to Step 5 of the Small Residential Storage General Market Budget, I expect the utilities to work on their backlog that fits within the one year allowance from instillation to application.

Once Step 5 is cleared out, Step 6 would open afterwards. Step 6 is subject to modifications including potential adjustment to the 20% developer cap, increased qualification for small-scale equity resiliency residential that "expands eligibility to include customers subject to two or more discrete PSPS events and defines additional customers as having critical resiliency needs", consideration of "removing limitations on inverter size for resiliency project", adustments to the program to comply with GHG emission targets,and others.

If you are affected by a public safety power shutoff (PSPS) you may qualify for the Residential Storage Equity. Things may be more clearer before March 1st, as: "In view of the changed circumstances resulting from the October 2019 PSPS events, we direct the SGIP PAs to begin accepting equity resiliency applications for small-scale residential (i.e. less than or equal to 10 kW) projects no later than March 1, 2020."

It is possible to be eligible for Step 6, but depends on how Tier 6 is finally introduced, modified, and impacted with any other backlog.

As noted earlier, additional funds to SGIP have been allocated and transferred to the Small Residential Storage Budget on Friday, January 10, 2020. As this only applies to Step 5 of the Small Residential Storage General Market Budget, I expect the utilities to work on their backlog that fits within the one year allowance from instillation to application.

Once Step 5 is cleared out, Step 6 would open afterwards. Step 6 is subject to modifications including potential adjustment to the 20% developer cap, increased qualification for small-scale equity resiliency residential that "expands eligibility to include customers subject to two or more discrete PSPS events and defines additional customers as having critical resiliency needs", consideration of "removing limitations on inverter size for resiliency project", adustments to the program to comply with GHG emission targets,and others.

If you are affected by a public safety power shutoff (PSPS) you may qualify for the Residential Storage Equity. Things may be more clearer before March 1st, as: "In view of the changed circumstances resulting from the October 2019 PSPS events, we direct the SGIP PAs to begin accepting equity resiliency applications for small-scale residential (i.e. less than or equal to 10 kW) projects no later than March 1, 2020."

Thanks for positing the bit about the PSPS. We were effected and this is one of reasons we ordered a couple of powerwalls with the roof. Our neighborhood is on a hill, and while we have underground power lines, the feed to our particular neighborhood is above ground. So they cut that power. We were without power for 60+ hours while homes 200 feet away had power.

The new Solarglass roof is being configured with 2 PWs, so I guess we would be able for the Step 5 funding.

Last edited:
Thanks for positing the bit about the PSPS. We were effected and this is one of reasons we ordered a couple of powerwalls with the roof. Our neighborhood is on a hill, and while we have underground power lines, the feed to our particular neighborhood is above ground. So they cut that power. We were without power for 60+ hours while homes 200 feet away had power.

The new Solarglass roof is being configured with 2 PWs, so I guess we would be able for the Step 5 funding.

No problem.

Although your Tesla rep may be aware, consider informing your them about the updates to SGIP and that you are interested in qualifying for it. Get on the potential "wait list" early. Prior to installation, be sure to have everything worked out.

For reference, below was an initial Tesla SGIP letter. Their process may have changed now.

SGIP Powerwall  Cancel Letter  20170419_Template_Redacted2.jpg

I tried a while back when Step 3 was active, but did not qualify due to timing and Tesla being oversubscribed. I jumped on installation in 2017 and unfortunate the project was too old (over the 1 year application window) for the later steps. if SGIP qualification is important, do consider delaying your installation until you get formal confirmation of acceptance into SGIP.

Although your Tesla rep may be aware, consider informing your them about the updates to SGIP and that you are interested in qualifying for it. Get on the potential "wait list" early. Prior to installation, be sure to have everything worked out.

How did you ask Tesla to place you on the list? By phone or email? Since I am waiting for the next step, should I wait until they call to send a site inspection or while I am still waiting?

How did you ask Tesla to place you on the list? By phone or email? Since I am waiting for the next step, should I wait until they call to send a site inspection or while I am still waiting?

If I recall, I called them.

Continue with the site assessment and call them when it is convenient for you. As SGIP is linked to one year from the date of installation/interconnection, hold off on installation until you get confirmation of SGIP eligibility.