Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Energy App with non-Tesla Solar

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had 2 Powerwalls (referral awards) installed by Tesla last summer. Following that, I had non-Tesla solar panels put on my roof. My only issue is that the Tesla app doesn’t monitor the solar production correctly. I contacted Tesla, and they told me that they will not set up the app to monitor non-Tesla panels. Does anyone know if there is a workaround? Thanks

I have 2 Powerwalls and non-Tesla solar panels. And the Tesla App monitors the solar panels. It has to, without monitoring the solar panels the Powerwalls are not going to work correctly.

I think you should call Tesla again, or try contacting an independent PW installer. It is not difficult.

All you have to do is run the new solar circuits through the CTs that are measuring the solar production. Of course, if you didn't have any solar when the Powerwalls were installed, then you might have to install solar CTs and reconfigure the Powerwalls for solar through the wizard. Your best bet would be to have a Tesla certified Powerwall installer come and fix up your wiring so that the Powerwalls are working properly with the solar.

I don't think you would have had any problem with the system if you had waited on the referral Powerwall install until after the 3rd party solar was installed. Tesla has no problem accommodating any existing solar when Powerwalls are installed.

Last edited:
Tesla monitors and trouble shot my existing solar when installing my powerwalls. Usually to problem is your home network. The powerwall needs to see the solar production to operate properly. You need to escalate this. I have found the support to be great!!