Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla EV tax credit extension

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
None of the politics belong in this thread. Keep that stuff in the off topic section, or some political blog. Discussion of the credit or lack thereof, fine. I dont come to this site to read about politics, regardless of which side of our very divided country you are on.

Reactions: r1200gs4ok
Get with the program. First step register to vote! When you go immediately contact congressmen both Senators and Reps. Call them every week regarding your position on BEV tax credits for "American" made automobiles. Get off the sidelines! Engage! Many jurisdictions allow online registration. No excuses. So since you made the effort to pitch a complaint here... Get busy! Vote out the people that don't help your cause!!

Demand for the Model 3 is so high right now that I’m not sure the EV credit really matters much. I remember Tesla having a huge amount of unsold inventory last year on 12/31. They stayed open until midnight trying to capture last minute deals with the full tax credit and still had plenty of cars to sell in January.

In March we bought our second car and they were giving discounts on inventory cars or free paint/wheel upgrades. And they still had plenty of cars in stock and a 2 week lead time for a new one.

I know a lot of members on this forum are waiting patiently for their Model 3 deliveries and the few inventory cars that show up are snapped up within minutes. But it has not always been this way. I believe the market for the Model 3 has generally matured to where more buyers see it as a mainstream car. And Consumer Reports no longer dings the car for reliability issues so they are now recommending the car again.

We will see what happens in January but it looks like Tesla is quoting a 5-8 week lead time again for new orders so I see no reason why demand won’t continue on after the tax credit goes away. I don’t see this changing until a real competitor comes out to tempt people. So far I see nothing on the horizon in the Model 3 price range. Tesla’s lead is just too far ahead of anyone else. It could be years before the other OEMs catch up.

if you allow Tesla, Nissan and GM to take essentially all of the credits, there’s extremely little incentive for Ford, VW, Honda to try and catch up and participate in the EV market. By allowing each manufacturer their own credits, they have an incentive to join the market now rather than giving up completely.
That isn't how it works. By then the EV market is established, there is a solid demand and technology has matured. By that logic we should leave the credit in place for another hundred years in case any other company wants to get into EVs. When building a market you want it to grow as fast as possible. If Ford doesn't go into EVs because Tesla used up all the credits, then Ford goes bankrupt.

In order to succeed EVs need to be able to survivve without a government handout. Tesla will be fine as they are still the best EVs on the road. They are competitively priced with the sub 2k rebate so they will be fine.
People repeat this often but it doesn't make any sense. Corn has had a subsidy in the US for decades. Has the corn market not been able to survive because it has a subsidy?

EV credits should remain in place until we stop subsidizing ICE vehicles.

Reactions: Sherlo
That isn't how it works. By then the EV market is established, there is a solid demand and technology has matured. By that logic we should leave the credit in place for another hundred years in case any other company wants to get into EVs. When building a market you want it to grow as fast as possible. If Ford doesn't go into EVs because Tesla used up all the credits, then Ford goes bankrupt.

People repeat this often but it doesn't make any sense. Corn has had a subsidy in the US for decades. Has the corn market not been able to survive because it has a subsidy?

EV credits should remain in place until we stop subsidizing ICE vehicles.

I'm all for stopping ethanol subsidies. Especially with the US becoming a net field exporter it makes less sense to waste the resources on ethanol at all. Make it to a crop that we can sell overseas or something.

I'm all for stopping ethanol subsidies. Especially with the US becoming a net field exporter it makes less sense to waste the resources on ethanol at all. Make it to a crop that we can sell overseas or something.
So am I for sure. Subsidies have some place (the EV one is an example) where you want to goose the market for some reason. In practice most tend to wind up being corporate welfare.

Moderator note: a large number of posts have been removed because they were either personal attacks or they were excessively partisan or off topic.

It is possible to discuss with issue of EV tax credits by arguing the pros and cons of their effects on the EV market, the environment, etc. Let’s see if we can do that. Thank you.

• Love
Reactions: KerryOH
Moderator note: a large number of posts have been removed because they were either personal attacks or they were excessively partisan or off topic.

It is possible to discuss with issue of EV tax credits by arguing the pros and cons of their effects on the EV market, the environment, etc. Let’s see if we can do that. Thank you.

It’s hard to discuss EV credits without touching on politics, as EV credits are by nature -political. Nevertheless, lets see if we can.

I personally am not sure EV credits do much more than kick the can down the road. EV makers need to be able to establish a market and price for what they manufacture. Price-dancing around credits is a diversion from their primary goal: to make EV’s that sell and can replace ICE cars on the market. Competition between manufacturers is good, but gets complicated by all these “incentive” rules. Eventually everyone needs to make a good and affordable EV to most segments of the population.

What credits and incentives do not address is how the used market for EVs will play out. Used EVs are the only way a good deal of people (i.e-more than half) will ever be able to afford an EV. Lots of people can only afford used cars.

This is important because EV’s are not just a new “nice” vehicle on the market. EV’s are there to take a big chunk of carbon and other emissions from our environment. If 40% of people drive EV’s and the rest drive a variety of aging ICE vehicles, we still haven't made a very big dent in keeping our environment clean and planet cooler. Well, we’ve made a dent, but our goal needs to be all EV vehicles.

"Canada officially bans Tesla from any EV rebates and incentives".
https://ww.electrek.co/2019/04/17/canadas-electric-car-incentive-tesla-ineligible/

It appears that Canada 'trashed Tesla back in April. Is this correct? I imagine Elon is not happy about this either. Personally, I think both the US and Canada are wrong to pull subsidies from Tesla as its an unfair advantage to Tesla.

Thanks for the apology and yes, I'd rather see politics discussed elsewhere. Love my Tesla and appreciate this forum.
Tesla created a stripped Canadian version of the Model 3 SR to qualify for the rebate. Purchasers can buy an SR+ as some upgrades are allowed but I don't remember the maximum price before the rebate goes away.

Reactions: Jack007 and Lee K.
I briefly had my hopes up but part of me didn't want the tax credit extended. Since there has been so much complaining about the tax credit over the years it will be interesting to see it finally go away for Tesla and what happens with sales.

For me the EV Tax Credit was more about national security. Oil Consumption is a matter of national security. All we have to do is look at the fact that US troops are once again back in Saudi Arabia protecting Oil interests in that kingdom to drive home that point. Reducing the dependency of the US on Oil and increasing the diversity of the sources of energy for transportation is a matter of national security for the US. The US government has a legitimate interest in promoting technology that increases US national security. The fact that EV's are cleaner than conventional cars is just icing on the cake as far as I am concerned.

Reactions: Lee K.
i'm in Canada. purchased my 3 June 25. it had both federal & provincial credits available for it.
both still seem to be available on the CDN website.
Now i recall ... after the 5k grant was offered in April. Telsa created a Canadian only version of the 3 so they could get on the list.
the CDN version had a 150km range. but they won't sell you one. it was only to OFFER a version below the 45k threshold to qualify.

A note for anyone who may have paid to have a Wall Connector installed this year:

Even though the EV credit extension failed, it seems like the EVSE credit was successfully extended. 30% of purchase and install, up to $1,000.

This is not insubstantial to me, since Tesla needed to run about 70' of cable for my install!

I thought it was extended to end of 2020

Oops, you're right. December 31, 2020.

Screenshot_20191219-145452.png