Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Fine Print.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I will be ordering my M3 this weekend and I couldn’t help but look at the small print on the Tesla order page.
Basically, and correct me if I’m wrong here, if you return your car for whatever reason within the first seven days or before you hit 1000 miles, whichever comes first, your are precluded from ordering a car of the same trim for up to one year? Has anyone dealt with this?

From the buyers page:

“ If you decide to order another vehicle, you may not order the same trim for a period of 12 months but may order another vehicle in a different trim at any time. ”

Yes. Tesla is aware that some will return a car for relatively trivial reasons, such as a panel gap that is bigger than they wanted.

Tesla has learned that some people are very difficult to please, and does not wish to make car after car to cater to the high expectations of those buyers.

Tesla makes pretty good cars. but perfection is a goal that is simply not attainable in many instances.

Yes. Tesla is aware that some will return a car for relatively trivial reasons, such as a panel gap that is bigger than they wanted.

Tesla has learned that some people are very difficult to please, and does not wish to make car after car to cater to the high expectations of those buyers.

Tesla makes pretty good cars. but perfection is a goal that is simply not attainable in many instances.

This legit happened. A guy even bragged on the forum he sent back 4 cars.

Reactions: IdaX
This legit happened. A guy even bragged on the forum he sent back 4 cars.

He rejected four cars at delivery but never actually took delivery of any of them.

Returning a car within 7 days is much more complicated than rejecting a car at delivery. I rejected two cars at delivery and accepted three. The two rejections were no big deal and the delivery center could care less. But if you take delivery of a car and then bring it back you will be subject to waiting up to 60 days to get your money back. And, as the OP pointed out, you will not be able to order another car with the same trim level for 12 months.

This is why I always tell people to do a very thorough inspection of the car before signing any paperwork. Never rely on the ability to return the car if you are not happy with it. There are too many complications with a return to make it a practical solution for anything but an extreme situation like a total failure of a major system within the first 7 days.