Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can you escalate to Tesla?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looking for advice, I reserved a model 3 about a month ago and our house closing was delayed so the order was put on hold and then ultimately had to cancel. Finally closed and reserved an instock Tesla with a discount applied. The problem was that is was late last month, end of the quarter and if I couldn’t pick up by the 30th it had to go on hold. I figured not a big deal, right before the hold expired I called Tesla and asked if I removed the hold if they would find a vehicle with the similar discount and the rep said yes. Well as you may have already guessed removed the hold and they assigned a MSRP vehicle which was over $2K more. So I called into support again and this time the rep said they didn’t have anything with that discount in stock but had another option which was a little cheaper, I said I would think it over to let the sting settle in. Finally after a couple of hours I figured I’d bite the bullet and take the lesser discount but at least it was one. The next rep said they could not do that and in order to get that vehicle I’d have to cancel the order and put in a new order? Mind you it’s the same exact car just $1K less. I really want a Tesla but this just feels wrong. I could see if I ordered a special order vehicle then changed my mind about features, colors etc but this is the same color, features etc, I can’t wrap my head around it. Anyways I can‘t see spending another $250 given the chaos and lack of effort…meanwhile they are promoting referrals to boost sales? Anyways not sure if there is any escalation options or am I just SOL?

they treat in stock cars the same way as special order, in regards to the "order fee". Personally, I see that order fee as nothing more than a money grab for them. Pretty sure every other manufacturer will refund the fee if you cancel. It's possible that they have suffered from an enormous amount of order cancellations over the years, and this is how they try to keep it down.

Anyway... the best I can offer you is to use someone's referral code, which will give you $500 off as a new buyer, which then evens out that order fee you lost plus some extra. If you have a friend that can provide one to you, ask them.

Last edited by a moderator:
The answer to the question in the thread title ("Can you escalate to Tesla?") is " No, not really ".
Best you can do is just buy your car the hell with it Tesla is not going to help ! I bought my 2018 M3 with free supercharger in 2018…i have charged about 430 times so I made up for the overpriced model 3! I bought. 80,000 miles and plan to keep the car 250000 miles I use this free supercharging about 90% of the time. I love my car but will trade in a moment if Elon offers me a transfer of the free supercharger

I don’t think Tesla will help, customer service on these things with logic isn’t their strong point. Keep watching inventory, longer their there more discounted it will be. I saw 1-4k discounts on inventory 3s couple days ago for Chicago.

If you don't need it now, wait until the end of Q3. There will likely be even better discounts. I'd say wait and watch the dollars in discounts rain down. With Highland (the next gen M3) around the corner, Tesla will be pushing hard to dump inventory. A plus if you wait long enough, you'll see what you are possibly missing with the refresh and might decide to wait for it if good enough.