Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Gigafactory Investor Thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

But Stockton, population 296,000, is shaping up as a leading in-state contender, economists and business development experts say. They point to plenty of industrial-zoned property, a port that handles ocean-going vessels, major freeway access and nearby rail and airport facilities.

Having a port would make great sense for shipping battery packs to Tilburg, or China.

But Stockton, population 296,000, is shaping up as a leading in-state contender, economists and business development experts say. They point to plenty of industrial-zoned property, a port that handles ocean-going vessels, major freeway access and nearby rail and airport facilities.

Having a port would make great sense for shipping battery packs to Tilburg, or China.

Jack, I hope it is there but the article also acknowledges that labor costs, taxes and restrictive laws may be a negative. This has been my contention all along that it will be a difficult decision. TM's heart may say Cali, but their head may say Reno. Personally, my only concern is that is get up and running asap.

Jack, I hope it is there but the article also acknowledges that labor costs, taxes and restrictive laws may be a negative. This has been my contention all along that it will be a difficult decision. TM's heart may say Cali, but their head may say Reno. Personally, my only concern is that is get up and running asap.

Well, since their head and heart can't get in sync I see them just saying screw it and building both factories all the way in parallel. :p

Wow Stockton? I just moved from Stockton to Sacramento two years ago. I'm interested in working for Tesla at their battery factory, and never thought I'd hear Stockton in the mix.

More "boots on the ground" update about potential Nevada site.

If "Project Tiger" is in fact a Tesla project, then it is located in Storey County, Nevada. This is a terrific location for receiving building permits quickly because Storey County has a reputation for doing so in the Tahoe Reno Industrial Center. The center is located across a substantial range of hills from the main population center of Storey County: the Virginia City area. Thus, any property tax revenue from the industrial center benefits residents who never see the commercial activities nor deal with any traffic concerns, etc. It's a perfect environment for fast approval of building permits.

Geographic proximity to California is of course another plus, when coupled with the ability to ship batteries by rail to the Fremont factory site. A major trucking company works from the area, with mostly one-way traffic from the Port at Oakland to Nevada and an assumption of somewhat empty trucks heading back in that direction. Again, this is another plus in terms of potential transportation costs.

The Reno area is a forty-five minute drive from Lake Tahoe, with its summer recreation and winter skiing/snowboarding activity. With no income tax in Nevada, Reno has been a popular location for California retirees fleeing the high tax environment of California. The Reno area would be an attractive location to live for gigafactory employees.

Finally, lithium has been found in Northern Washoe County, the county in which Reno is located. For all these reasons, I'm placing my bet that the Reno area will either win the first gigafactory or be awarded one of the next few gigafactories to be built as the inevitable demand for Model 3 necessitates additional battery capacity. I'll be very curious to see if California lawmakers can pass sufficient measures to entice Tesla into that state instead of Neada. We may find out on Thursday.

Last edited:
My understanding of the carbon/carbon cells is that they are not dense enough which would hurt the range of the Tesla.
I sawa energy density graph on these cells and it didn't look so great when compared to other cells.
In fairness I haven't read the linked paper

The energy density, the specific energy of proposed chemistry from that paper is much higher than what Tesla is currently using.

The much hyped tech from some Japanese startup is completely different story.

so as I posted in the comments on the article:
"Given that I work for a contractor, and being awarded a "5 year" contract doesn't even mean you will get the full 5 years (you could just get 1, or you could do terrible and get kicked off the contract...) And the contracting company will tend to tell you whatever in order to get you to go. So I am more inclined to blame the contracting company more than whoever hired them *cough Tesla cough*"

On the Dutch Autoweek website they just mentioned that Panasonic will invest a total cumulative amount of at least $2B in the Gigafactory, instead of the earlier mentioned total cumulative amount of $1B. Are there any other reports that confirm this?