Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla goes bankrupt, or desides to go HP or Samsung... what happens to my car?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well, that's probably not the best analogy. Really, we can't look to any other car for a suitable comparison. With a Delorean, you just keep it filled with gas and it continues to go until it wears out. Sure, maybe you can't get parts, but that's not the same thing as suddenly getting in your car and not being able to use it because a software license is no longer able to validate itself with a centralized service. If that's even the case. I suspect it is to some degree.
I suggest that you should do some research before making ill informed comments

This is the part that worries me, as I'm not sure they are operating within a viable financial construct. They are losing money and are only able to sustain operations by continuously raising additional capital. Many things could happen that might or might not be Tesla specific that could affect their ability to continue raising capital.
They are not losing money, they are spending more money on development than they are making. There is a huge difference there.

I think this is a decent question, regardless of the probability of Tesla dissolution.
With an 'installed base' of 200,000 or so by the time such a thing could happen, somebody could make good money supporting them and even enhancing them. It seems to me the most likely outcome would be some group of Tesla people forming a new company to support Tesla vehicles and stationary storage products. The probability of being acquired by another car company prior to dissolution would be far higher IMHO. Frankly the probability of Tesla dissolution is probably far less than is that of Chrysler.

I think this is a decent question, regardless of the probability of Tesla dissolution.
With an 'installed base' of 200,000 or so by the time such a thing could happen, somebody could make good money supporting them and even enhancing them. It seems to me the most likely outcome would be some group of Tesla people forming a new company to support Tesla vehicles and stationary storage products. The probability of being acquired by another car company prior to dissolution would be far higher IMHO. Frankly the probability of Tesla dissolution is probably far less than is that of Chrysler.
I think that long before tesla would go belly up one of the "majors" would acquire the company.

You car will work just fine as a car without an internet connection.
Well that's the question. You know that for sure? For extended times, I mean. My French media player worked for a little bit. My CAD software doesn't work at all. There are variances.

We know that the cars work fine without an internet connection for at least short periods - and there's never been any indication that I've seen/read anywhere of a phone home logic bomb.
Of course it works for short periods. I was never suggesting the car would shut down while driving through a tunnel :) You're probably right. I'd still think it would be assuring to know for sure.

Several people has completely removed the SIM card from salvage/modified cars with no ill effects.
I didn't know that. Any links you know of? Assuming they aren't connecting by WIFI when parked (do Tesla's have that?), that would provide assurance of continuation.

I suggest that you should do some research before making ill informed comments
I suggest you learn to not make trolling comments. What other purpose could that be other than to bait? "Ill informed comments"? I postulated a question that - thus far - has no definitive answer. What "research" were you suggesting? A personal letter to Mr. Musk? Or... what about having a discussion with peers to hammer out a logical conclusion? Oh, wait... that's what this is.

Yes, I agree the odds are low. But then, the odds of a lottery are low and people still play. If this were a $200 phone I wouldn't care, but a $50,000 to $150,000 car? Low odds are still odds.

@everyone: I'm glad I asked the question. I'm not 100% satisfied we know the answer or can know the answer without some authoritative input. But I'm now personally well satisfied (let's say 95%) that it will not be an issue, thanks in a large part to your input, so thank you.

I suggest you learn to not make trolling comments. What other purpose could that be other than to bait? "Ill informed comments"? I postulated a question that - thus far - has no definitive answer.
trolling question? try reading for comprehension!
I offered a scenario of a small volume luxury auto manufacturer that went bankrupt and how owners of that failed company's cars fared with the cars after the company closed shop as an indicator of how the world could be for tesla owners if tesla closed up shop tomorrow. I pointed you in direction delorean's story. now if you weren't so hot to trot to get into a flame battle you would have done some research. if you did you'd see that the bankruptcy of a car company is not a fatal event for the owners of the failed company's product.

Last edited:
Reactions: sdorn and jbcarioca
Someone undervalued it. Doesn't stop it from being worth money.
the value of a commodity or a service is only what someone else will pay for it. in the case of the GM/Toyota plant the facility was not a productive one, both owners wanted out and no company other than tesla showed any interest in acquiring the facility, it traded at fair value.

as for investing, I think most people invest in things with the expectation of making a profit. if an investment fails to generate a profit it becomes a failed investment.

trolling question? try reading for comprehension!
I offered a scenario of a small volume luxury auto manufacturer that went bankrupt and how owners of that failed company's cars fared with the cars after the company closed shop as an indicator of how the world could be for tesla owners if tesla closed up shop tomorrow. I pointed you in direction delorean's story. now if you weren't so hot to trot to get into a flame battle you would have done some research. if you did you'd see that the bankruptcy of a car company is not a fatal event for the owners of the failed company's product.
Try writing for civility!

Why is every comment out of your keyboard an attempt to insult someone?

YOU gave a poor analogy. I don't have to "research" your poor analogy.

I think most people invest in things with the expectation of making a profit. if an investment fails to generate a profit it becomes a failed investment.

Exactly, and those investments Tesla is making in robots and buildings are enabling them to make cars, and thus money. Plus they still have the robot. Those investments are making a profit for Tesla. So Tesla is choosing to continue making more such investments rather than paying shareholders that aren't clamoring for dividends. The stock price is going UP.

Thank you kindly.

Note that @wk057 and others have already rooted the MCU and are able to get the vehicle to connect to alternate servers. If we lose factory support, and/or when sufficient number of Tesla's are out of warranty, there likely will be others that will provide software and services support now that there are quite a few vehicles in the fleet.