Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla has a new high tech steering wheel

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Back in the day, it was common for sedans and coupes to have a gear selector stalk coming out of the steering column. I always considered it a step backward to move it to its common location today; that's valuable real estate that could be used for many things other than today's bulky gear selectors.

Some of the old manual transmission cars even had the gear selector on a steering column stalk. It used to be called "three on the tree" vs. "four on the floor" for a four speed manual that had the selector, obviously, coming out of the floor. My Aunt had an early 60's Comet with "three on the tree." I still remember her cussing as she tried to get it in reverse... double clutch, and griiiiiind.

But the new Tesla steering wheel could go either way. Could be the next great UI update or a complete disaster depending on what and how the features are implemented. Hard to form an opinion either way without seeing an actual prototype.

Reactions: tvad