Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Retrofit new 2024 steering wheel

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
On my 2023X, I can feel the airbag move front/back when I press it like a horn would. Does anyone know if we take it apart are there wires we can move/join from the horn 'button' on the pad? make both work? I've lost count how many times I've gone to hit SOMETHING Horn, wipers, turn signals, etc. and just... flubbed it all up because of this nonsense.

I have to imagine the car side is 100% identical and you could swap the panel over. or if taken apart figure some stuff out. I'm just hard pressed to take apart my brand new car...

Maybe Sandy Munro can tear down the horn/steering control pad.

Reactions: towndrunk
I have an appointment set up to swap the non functioning horn wheel for the new one…

They want $1,000 for the wheel, and $1,000 for the mechanical horn airbag. With .18 hour labor, the total is $2,237…

Nope.

Attachments

• IMG_1606.png
    IMG_1606.png
    354.2 KB · Views: 33
I have an appointment set up to swap the non functioning horn wheel for the new one…

They want $1,000 for the wheel, and $1,000 for the mechanical horn airbag. With .18 hour labor, the total is $2,237…

Nope.
Wonder if enough people get into collisions due to hitting the non-existent horn button in the center and complaining to NHTSA as an 'issue', if there will be a free retrofit recall for 2022-2023 cars due to safety. There has been a few times I had to hit the horn from someone coming into my lane (they were texting) and hit the airbag with no sound and then swerve partially over the yellow center divider while looking for the horn 'button' and hitting the brakes. The oblivious texter had no idea I was there because I could not get the car to make any warning sound until 3+ seconds later.

Even if they make a retrofit that allows you to hit the center airbag or the button on the wheel to sound the horn, I would be fine with that. It would give me what I want and maybe save them costs with just replacing some parts rather than the whole steering wheel.

the car actually met all legal requirements at the time, and yet the victim was able to proceed.

This whole thing (yoke, horn button, lack of stalks) was asinine from day 1.
The stalks will make a comeback next.
I predict it approx 2026, when people have had enough.

I have filed: Report a Safety Problem | NHTSA

the car actually met all legal requirements at the time, and yet the victim was able to proceed.

This whole thing (yoke, horn button, lack of stalks) was asinine from day 1.
The stalks will make a comeback next.
I predict it approx 2026, when people have had enough.

I have filed: Report a Safety Problem | NHTSA
Well, if a car met legal requirements and was approved at the time by the safety administrations responsible for regulations then I don't feel a manufacturer should be held responsible unless what they did was nefarious of which a yoke, no stalks, etc. is not nefarious. Doing a 'go back' stifles innovation and will have long term impacts to progress in every field.
If it is later discovered that an innovative feature had safety impacts which were unforeseen, companies should for goodwill design and make available a retrofit at a nominal cost or for excellent customer service provide the retrofit for free. I am not asking for free but would be happy with a nominal cost retrofit.

Personally I really like the stalkless design and functionality and prefer it over stalks. The horn button is something else since it is usually used in a panic situation where it is really hard to change a lifetime of muscle memory to mash the 'horn' in the middle of the steering wheel.

Reactions: X Fan
I find the horn on my 2023 S incredibly dangerous -- try finding it at night when your are turning the wheel. Almost impossible.

I have contacted service to request swap out for 2024 wheel with center horn button only to be told that it cannot be done yet...but may be possible in the future.

I find this not quite credible. Why would the wheel hardware/software be any different that the yoke (where center horn works on retrofits)?

Has anyone else made this request of Service? It would be great to collect info here.

I find the horn on my 2023 S incredibly dangerous -- try finding it at night when your are turning the wheel. Almost impossible.

I have contacted service to request swap out for 2024 wheel with center horn button only to be told that it cannot be done yet...but may be possible in the future.

I find this not quite credible. Why would the wheel hardware/software be any different that the yoke (where center horn works on retrofits)?

Has anyone else made this request of Service? It would be great to collect info here.
Just waiting to pick up my Tesla MSP from service today and inquired about a retrofit to a full wheel with the mechanical horn.

I was messaged that service checked with parts and it isn't available (yet).

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240327_162751_Tesla.jpg
    Screenshot_20240327_162751_Tesla.jpg
    176.2 KB · Views: 17