Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla has 'won' - who fights who now?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Oh, absolutely. There's no way that a private citizen can personally solve the charging problem while living in a street parking neighborhood, as you just pointed out.

But if EV adoption rates become high enough, I could easily see the city electrifying streets block by block, and either charging a monthly flat fee to residents of the neighborhood with registered EVs or installing EVSEs that connect to a pay network like Chargepoint and letting them manage the money.
The private citizens who have had it installed, permitted, etc have all paid about 5k apiece and have to reup the permits yearly... I think that runs $500. Like most cities, the schools are all dreadfully underfunded, pensions underfunded, etc etc. It would take an outside infusion of cash specifically for that to get them to do it.

Reactions: 22522
Oh, absolutely. There's no way that a private citizen can personally solve the charging problem while living in a street parking neighborhood, as you just pointed out.

But if EV adoption rates become high enough, I could easily see the city electrifying streets block by block, and either charging a monthly flat fee to residents of the neighborhood with registered EVs or installing EVSEs that connect to a pay network like Chargepoint and letting them manage the money.[/QUOTE]

Individuals won't have to act here, the market will take care of it. We just need to remember that the entire dynamic will be flipped on it's head. There will be all the incentive in the world for people to keep plugged in at peak and trickle charge and for governments to encourage it. Just look at Germany where peak afternoon wholesale electricity prices go negative on a fairly regular basis due to high solar adoption. All that excess will be leveled out by incentivized smart charging of EVs.

You want to charge overnight at home and pay for it, go ahead. You want to slow charge at peak for free on the street, go ahead.

Don't forget you no longer need to park near your apartment in the city. You can get out and send you car to park itself in the garage for charging.

Der Spiegel article fascinating. Still not quite sure whether the car companies 'know' (or believe) that EVs are still 10 (?) years away as a profitable core business and are 'taking a rain-check' or are they 'deer in the headlights' and not sure what to do?

I have been regularly reading Tesla/EV stuff including the stock market/financial guff for a few years and I get the sense that the anti-EV brigade are getting more virulent; nasty and sweeping with wild accusations/assumptions. Am I alone in thinking this?

Maybe desperation is setting in?

I wonder (as someone else suggested) if the hope is that if Tesla is 'killed off' then the momentum will halt/slow down for now. But that overlooks the Chinese onslaught.............and the possibility of Apple/Google/Lucid stepping up - but this will only happen if Elon's sums are right and the cars can be manufactured at competitive process (which seems a serious bone of contention in the financial/stock market articles currently...)