Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Home wall charger only charging at 24 amp from 48 amp originally

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All,

Newbie here. Last night, my Tesla wall charger starting charging at a max of 24 amps, which previously had been charging at 48 amps since i purchased the charger and my vehicle (Model S 75) last year. For the last few weeks, the charger would shut off, and i would have to reset (turn off and ond) the main house circuit for the Tesla wall charger, but didn't think anything of it, as there have been outages in our neighborhood, here and there, due to everyone stuck at home in quarantine.

But now it is taking twice as long to charge my car (8 hours vs 4 hours at 48 amps).

Has anyone experienced this? What could be the problem?

Thanks in

Is this a mobile connector or wall connector? If it’s a wall connector then have you checked the wiring inside? Sounds like something might be loose and it’s heating up so the connector is lowering the amperage to reduce heat. Retorque all your screws connecting the wiring to the lugs.

Hi All,

Newbie here. Last night, my Tesla wall charger starting charging at a max of 24 amps, which previously had been charging at 48 amps since i purchased the charger and my vehicle (Model S 75) last year. For the last few weeks, the charger would shut off, and i would have to reset (turn off and ond) the main house circuit for the Tesla wall charger, but didn't think anything of it, as there have been outages in our neighborhood, here and there, due to everyone stuck at home in quarantine.

But now it is taking twice as long to charge my car (8 hours vs 4 hours at 48 amps).

Has anyone experienced this? What could be the problem?

Thanks in
I would recommend to stop charging at home, and call the electrician that installed it.

Is this a mobile connector or wall connector? If it’s a wall connector then have you checked the wiring inside? Sounds like something might be loose and it’s heating up so the connector is lowering the amperage to reduce heat. Retorque all your screws connecting the wiring to the lugs.
Only wall connectors could charge at 48 amps.