Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla in Bend, Or

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Moderator note (bmah): Merged posts from two different threads on the same topic.

Does anyone out there have experience with a Model S or Model X in Bend? I am interested to know whether it can handle the snowy streets. Also, was service a hassle so far from Portland.

Bill

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a 2013 Model S 85 - live in Sunriver. Rear Wheel drive only but no problems in winter with Nokian All-Weather tires from Discount Tire and driving with usual Central Oregon winter caution. Typically I turn Regen braking option to low on icy days.

Service has been no problem - in fact better than any other car I've ever owned. Only had one instance of needing service - and Tesla sent a mobile ranger (in winter weather) to replace the 12 volt battery under warranty. I take the car to Portland service center for annual service. Tesla gives me a loaner Tesla for the day while my car is being service. Last time there was one minor item they could not complete. Less than a week later they called and asked if the mobile ranger could stop by to complete that item - again in my driveway 180 miles away from the Portland service center.

Truly the best service I've ever had.

Compare that to trying to buy a Chevy Bolt in Bend. The local dealer does not carry Bolts and won't service them. You have to go to the Willamette Valley to buy and get service for the car and there is no such thing as a mobile ranger that will come to Central Oregon.

Looking for any feedback from someone who has owned a Model S or Model X in Bend. Is it practical here? In particular, can it handle rutted streets like last winter? What about driving to the ski hill?

Thanks for any insights!

Bill

I haven't lived in Bend, Oregon, but I have driven through there in both of my Teslas. I would suggest staying away from the larger rims to better handle the ruts in the road. Go with 19" wheels for the S and 20" wheels for the X. All of the Model X vehicles are all wheel drive. I would suggest getting a set of winter tires to better handle the snow. Even a rear-wheel drive Model S will do great in the snow if you have the proper tires.

In the end, I would say that if I were in your shoes, I would get a Tesla Model X as soon as possible. I traded in a 2016 Honda Pilot 4x4 for the Tesla Model X and I love the Tesla.

If you need a referral code, please use mine to get unlimited supercharging for life. I have sent you a private message.

Brent

You won't have a problem getting up the hill in a Tesla so long as it's dual-motor.

I've spent enough time in Bend to have seen the absolute worst of its weather (though I didn't own a Tesla when I was there) and I can honestly say it's bad, but if the road's open at all, then it doesn't nearly stack up to what we've taken the Model S through to get to ski races in New England.

Go with the smaller wheels. Get two sets so you can keep snows on one and the stock tires on the other. In the winter, you don't want to have to deal with the very limited snow tire options available in the larger sizes. I know a lot of people in Oregon run studs -- I've never seen the point -- but on an S, 19" Nokian Hakka R2s and the Tesla's AWD will take you pretty much anywhere so long as you don't high-center on deep drifts. In the summer the 19" wheels will get you a little bit of a range boost, which is nice, and they're less vulnerable to damage from ruts and rocks, too.

Maybe I'll run into you at Batchy one of these winter days. I still get out there a few times a year.

• Helpful
Reactions: TaoJones
I'm not in Bend, but I am in Colorado -- at 7500' on a gravel road. D model, of course, and it's terrific on the road, even in the snow (Michelin Primacy M/S tires, have never bothered with studs, and haven't owned a set of chains in 30 years). Agree you need to stay with the smaller wheels, but other than that, have at it!

Agree with all the above. On the charging front, home charging is best of course, but it is nice to have the supercharger there at the Fred Meyer. The only time it was ever busy was during the solar eclipse. Fortunately I had a couple of extra days and didn't have to worry! But a few people waited for four and five hours to charge. But, that was an extreme exception. Normally no one, ever, is there when I charge. Beautiful town, make sure you take the Walk Up pilot Hill!

Looking for any feedback from someone who has owned a Model S or Model X in Bend. Is it practical here? In particular, can it handle rutted streets like last winter? What about driving to the ski hill?

Thanks for any insights!

Bill
Bill,

We have had our Model X for a little over a month here in Bend. We have taken it up to Mt. Bachelor a number of times in a variety of weather conditions—no dramas. Also, we routinely ride on Phil’s trails, where I particularly like the geo-located suspension raise feature which automatically kicks in as we exit Skyliner toward the trailhead, then drops back down right as we enter the main road on our way home. Again, no issues.

BL: big fan of the Tesla here in Bend.

Bill,

We have had our Model X for a little over a month here in Bend. We have taken it up to Mt. Bachelor a number of times in a variety of weather conditions—no dramas. Also, we routinely ride on Phil’s trails, where I particularly like the geo-located suspension raise feature which automatically kicks in as we exit Skyliner toward the trailhead, then drops back down right as we enter the main road on our way home. Again, no issues.

BL: big fan of the Tesla here in Bend.
Bill, I should’ve clarified that we have a dual motor version.

When any Tesla facility opens it should show on the official map. Sometimes there is a delay of a few days, but they show up fairly quickly.
Find Us | Tesla

People have turned up permits for a Tesla service center in Vancouver, WA and I believe there is something about a Spokane Tesla SC, but I haven't heard anything about a Bend SC yet.