Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla (In-House) Body Repair Experience

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you don't want all the details, then yes, they were absolutely amazing.

Something like 2 months ago the X was in a low speed front-impact collision. There was damage to the hood, front bumper, and I believe only 1 sensor. There was previous damage to the passenger side mirror as well from my wife backing out of the garage and clipping the mirror, lol.

We took the vehicle to Service King in Gaithersburg. I believe I posted about the experiences there already. Essentially, they agreed to do the repairs and a few weeks after the parts had already been delivered I didn't hear from them. Turns out their Tesla-Certified repair person left the company. They said another was in training but I wasn't happy with the lack of communication and checked in with Tesla to see if their body repairs had begun in-house.

Thomas from Tesla's Estimator department reached out to me immediately. I sent photos and he agreed to have the vehicle repaired at their Owings Mills location in Maryland. The parts were ordered and in less than 2 weeks I received followup regarding my vehicle repairs. Benjamin from the Owings Mill location coordinated the repairs from there. They sent someone one to pick up my vehicle and left a loaner (non-tesla from Hertz I believe) for me to use until the repairs were done. It took about 4 working days (I'm assuming no one worked on Thanksgiving) to get the vehicle back with text messages every day regarding updates on what was done and still outstanding.

The experience with Tesla was amazing. Communication was great and they even picked up my vehicle. While it was there, they had the interior and exterior detailed because there was some shipping adhesive still stuck to the vehicle exterior leaving sticky dirt patches. The car looks brand new again!

Obviously, YMMV, but Tesla was awesome and made the whole thing a breeze. I can't recommend their services highly enough if you have damage that their repair team is able to handle.

I believe hearing something about this being rolled out in September. If you check out their site (Body Shop Support) it has more information.

Here are the sites currently doing major and minor damage taken from the Tesla webpage.

Tesla Body Repair Centers are available for collision repair in the following cities.

• San Jose, California
  • Pomona, California
Tesla Body Repair Centers are available for light collision repair in the following cities.

• Bellevue, Washington
  • Dallas, Texas
  • Eatonville, Florida
  • Houston, Texas
  • Las Vegas, Nevada
  • Marietta, Georgia
  • Owings Mills, Maryland
  • Van Nuys, California
  • Villa Park, Illinois

Thanks for posting this. I am going to reach out to the Owings Mill location about repairing a dent made by the Tyco service center: I had taken my brand new, just wrapped and ceramic coated MS P100D for a software update.

The Tyco SC told me it will take at least 2 weeks to fix a very minor ding after which I have to take the car back to my wrap guy to get that section rewrapped. I took the car in on Saturday but they did not have a loaner for me and I have to take the car back on Monday and Tyco SC cannot guarantee an equivalent car to my P100D or another Tesla for the 2 weeks it will take to repair the car.

Attachments

• 1816A1FA-4661-4138-B339-4F9A5CD259D3.jpeg
    1816A1FA-4661-4138-B339-4F9A5CD259D3.jpeg
    257.8 KB · Views: 148
My MX was at the Tesla body shop for a full month. Brand new, no collision...just to fix the defects it came with from the factory itself, and the job they did was just ok. Customer service was awesome though, but Tesla is unable to match that with good workmanship. Their "specs" allow way too much leeway, which results in poor fit & finish on a 110K+ car and that's just unacceptable.

MX is their premium car, so they should seriously look at their QC/QA at the factory. The body shops can't really take care of the tech stuff either, couldn't even update my MX to new maps and I still don't have NOA as a result!

I scraped my passenger side rocker panel cover against a curb. I inquired about getting this fixed at Owings Mills. They ask for pictures which I sent and they emailed me a nice detailed repair cost estimate and said that because it is only cosmetic damage, they will not do the repair.

If you don't want all the details, then yes, they were absolutely amazing.

Something like 2 months ago the X was in a low speed front-impact collision. There was damage to the hood, front bumper, and I believe only 1 sensor. There was previous damage to the passenger side mirror as well from my wife backing out of the garage and clipping the mirror, lol.

We took the vehicle to Service King in Gaithersburg. I believe I posted about the experiences there already. Essentially, they agreed to do the repairs and a few weeks after the parts had already been delivered I didn't hear from them. Turns out their Tesla-Certified repair person left the company. They said another was in training but I wasn't happy with the lack of communication and checked in with Tesla to see if their body repairs had begun in-house.

Thomas from Tesla's Estimator department reached out to me immediately. I sent photos and he agreed to have the vehicle repaired at their Owings Mills location in Maryland. The parts were ordered and in less than 2 weeks I received followup regarding my vehicle repairs. Benjamin from the Owings Mill location coordinated the repairs from there. They sent someone one to pick up my vehicle and left a loaner (non-tesla from Hertz I believe) for me to use until the repairs were done. It took about 4 working days (I'm assuming no one worked on Thanksgiving) to get the vehicle back with text messages every day regarding updates on what was done and still outstanding.

The experience with Tesla was amazing. Communication was great and they even picked up my vehicle. While it was there, they had the interior and exterior detailed because there was some shipping adhesive still stuck to the vehicle exterior leaving sticky dirt patches. The car looks brand new again!

Obviously, YMMV, but Tesla was awesome and made the whole thing a breeze. I can't recommend their services highly enough if you have damage that their repair team is able to handle.

I wish I had read this a week earlier. I had a similar low speed front end collision with my Tesla 3 in Dallas two months ago. I didn't call the Tesla shop in Dallas because they had not been able to repair a previous scrape. They weren't setup for paint work. They may have more capability now.

So, I also took it to Service King. Finally, after 2 months, Service King has scheduled a drop off (after a little prodding from my insurance company). I will keep you posted about the result.

BTW, Plano AutoNation did the previous work beautifully.