Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla in lockdown

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
With many people under "stay at home" orders I want to make sure I'm not missing anything. With an ICE vehicle the 12 volt battery would be drained if not driven for an extended period. With EV as I understand the main pack will keep the 12 V battery charged. I have my MS plugged in, slider at 70%. If the car goes into deep sleep will it still keep the 12 V charged up? Haven't used the car at all almost 2 weeks now.

One of my vehicles sat for 3 weeks I fired it up this morning and went for a ride Date of battery is 2014 I could put it on a battery tender if I wanted to It would be the same as plugging in your Tesla. Compare apples to apples I will let my car sit for 4 weeks and let a Tesla sit for 4 weeks without plugging it in. Then we can see which one has to be jumped Oh by the way I like Teslas the Model S is one of my favorite cars

One of my vehicles sat for 3 weeks I fired it up this morning and went for a ride Date of battery is 2014 I could put it on a battery tender if I wanted to It would be the same as plugging in your Tesla. Compare apples to apples I will let my car sit for 4 weeks and let a Tesla sit for 4 weeks without plugging it in. Then we can see which one has to be jumped Oh by the way I like Teslas the Model S is one of my favorite cars

Holy grammar

Don't check your car's battery every day using the app. It will wake it and drain it faster. Close the app on your phone. Don't leave it running. Do you have Sentry turned on? Turn if off. If you in the car, better to turn it off in the car so it doesn't turn on when put in Park. Move it up to 80% to give yourself a little more margin while its sitting like this. You also don't want Pre-conditioning turned on during this time. I hope you have it in a warm insulated garage, because isn't it still chilly in Wisconsin? The cold is going to drain your batteries.

Reactions: aerodyne
If it’s plugged in, leave it alone. The BMS will control everything for both batteries. On our 3 and X (usually charges to 90 and 80 because the 3 is a commuter car) the only change I’ve made is to lower the limit to 80. Anything in there (50-80) is fine.

Reactions: CSFTN
I suppose that if you're not ordered to quarantine, you could just drive to the nearest Supercharger (if you're running low), bring a mask and disinfectant, disinfect the charging handle and just wait in the car. That way you buy yourself more time (of course, you could just plug your car in the wall - doesn't seem like 15 days of charging would matter in this case).

I leave my Model S plugged in for 5 months at a time.

-Set energy saver on.
-Always connected UNchecked. (This means your app will take quite a bit longer to connect but that should be fine for storage.)
-Battery level to 50%. The car will charge only when needed.
-Turn off Sentry Mode and smart summon. (But if set to automatically turn off at home, then should be fine as is.).
-And don’t keep checking the car every day. There would be a month or more that can go by without me checking it. Allows for deep sleep.
-move app on phone off from the main screen. Less apt to think about it and launch the app (which wakes the car).

Have done that for 3 winters now. Car is always good to go in the spring.

I have 240v at home but maybe a regular 110v wall outlet would be sufficient for this too. Especially if in a garage and it’s not extremely cold out. (When it’s cold out, the car spends more resources to warm the battery.)

Last edited:
Reactions: aerodyne
I suppose that if you're not ordered to quarantine, you could just drive to the nearest Supercharger (if you're running low), bring a mask and disinfectant, disinfect the charging handle and just wait in the car. That way you buy yourself more time (of course, you could just plug your car in the wall - doesn't seem like 15 days of charging would matter in this case).

I have been using a dog poo bag, we have them in the car already, just throw one on your hand, put the connector in and throw it out without touching anything. They are small and decompose easily, as long as there is a garbage nearby.

I leave my Model S plugged in for 5 months at a time.

-Set energy saver on.
-Always connected UNchecked. (This means your app will take quite a bit longer to connect but that should be fine for storage.)
-Battery level to 50%. The car will charge only when needed.
-Turn off Sentry Mode and smart summon. (But if set to automatically turn off at home, then should be fine as is.).
-And don’t keep checking the car every day. There would be a month or more that can go by without me checking it. Allows for deep sleep.
-move app on phone off from the main screen. Less apt to think about it and launch the app (which wakes the car).

Have done that for 3 winters now. Car is always good to go in the spring.

I have 240v at home but maybe a regular 110v wall outlet would be sufficient for this too. Especially if in a garage and it’s not extremely cold out. (When it’s cold out, the car spends more resources to warm the battery.)

Wouldn't it be nice to have a hibernate button on the car, which would activate all the above and maybe some other functions we can't access? Or one in the app.

I have been using a dog poo bag, we have them in the car already, just throw one on your hand, put the connector in and throw it out without touching anything. They are small and decompose easily, as long as there is a garbage nearby.

Wouldn't it be nice to have a hibernate button on the car, which would activate all the above and maybe some other functions we can't access? Or one in the app.
If it worked as well as Windows hibernate.... No.

• Funny
Reactions: OrbiterTI4