Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla inspection fee changes in Texas?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 2018 M3 and am just doing my second sticker renewal.

I had to do my first last year because of the two-year new car thing that Tesla buyers don't qualify for, so fine. I did my inspection at Kwik Kar ($7 and 10 minutes), and renewed.

Yesterday I did my inspection for this year, same deal, but now when I go to renew the sticker online, I'm seeing this:

"INSPECTION FEE-2YR $16.75"

The renewal is for a 12 month term per the site, but for some reason I'm getting charged a 2 year inspection fee. What's interesting is that the form that I got in the mail only shows $7.50 for the inspection fee.

At the bottom of the page I see this in red, with no other explanation: "Vehicle Inspection fee recalculated due to update inspection information"

I figure I'll wait a couple of days and try again, but I was just wondering if anyone else has noticed a difference recently.

So... We called TxDOT this morning and they said to verify the inspection at mytxcar.org (that just sounds fishy) to see if Kwik Kar put me in for a two year sticker, which would explain the different fee during renewal.

Sure enough:

upload_2020-12-22_11-21-45.png

They also said that I won't require an inspection or renewal next year. I can't find any other information about this, so I'm not sure what changed and when. Maybe due to the recent moves?