Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No $200 fee in registration renewal bill due in Nov

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got my renewal registration bill in the mail, due November, it didn’t have the $200 fee. However, when going to pay online it does show up there. Wanted to see if anyone else had something like this. I could try to send payment over the mail and ignore the fee since it’s not in the bill, but the office can simply decide to ignore my payment and not process the renewal (after all, the house never loses).

I didn’t have fee either renewed last month.

What was the reason behind the higher ev tax rate anyways? I recall reading the equivalent ICE rate was $78.
Supposedly, the fee is to replace the gas tax, which (of course) we don't pay. But, this fee is more than the average ICE owner pays in gas taxes, which make it a suspected anti-EV tax. That is to e expected when living in a state that is the center of the oil and gas industry.

Supposedly, the fee is to replace the gas tax, which (of course) we don't pay. But, this fee is more than the average ICE owner pays in gas taxes, which make it a suspected anti-EV tax. That is to e expected when living in a state that is the center of the oil and gas industry.
That’s what I thought. And the equivalent tax is even more when you consider I only drive 4000-5000 miles per year. Shameful legislation.

Those mail statements are autogenerated a few months ago before the new fee took effect hence why there is a lag behind what you see when you renew online. You can just pay what you received in the mail but don't be surprised if you receive another letter from the state in the future billing for the EV fee.

Yes - no fee on mine. I normally renew online, but when I saw there was no fee on the mail-in, I spent 50 cents to save $200.
Well - so much for that idea. I just got my mail-in form and check returned, along with a note saying that "As of September, 2023, there is an additional fee for electric vehicles of $200."

They got me!

• Informative
Reactions: brkaus and cwanja
No mention of the $200 EV tax on my TX DMV registration renewal letter, but I did get the attached letter in July notifying me of the EV tax for my registration, which renewed in October. Note the highlighted text.

When I went to pay in person, my payment due did include the additional $200 tax.

EV Registration Fee Notice.jpg

agree, the fee is outrageous, but they also know there is no Option.
Ideally - it should be mileage based but we all know that is not going to happen as that means more work for powers that be, so we get slapped by a blanket fee

This chart is a little old but gives you an idea
1699645763071.png