Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

For those who’ve tinted their windshield in Texas…

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I know it is illegal to tint the whole windshield in Texas with anything but clear, so I was leaning toward not touching it. The shop I took my car to said they do it all the time and nobody has run into issues. They suggested only do 70% because it not very noticeable. I’m leaning toward doing it, but know there is an inherent risk. All the other windows will be to spec. So, for those who live in Texas and had your windshield tinted

1. What % did you do?
2. Did you go beyond the 5” from the top?
3. Have you been pulled over or had issues with inspection due to the windshield?

Thanks!
Stephen

Update:

Just picked up the car and as always, Surround Sound (Richardson) did an outstanding job. Honestly, I can't even tell there is tint on the front windshield, so pleased with that - and love the fact it is helping to block this Texas heat. Still curious if anyone else in Texas has experience with tint on the windshield though.

Reactions: Skavatar
I never understood why someone would want their windshield tinting
For me it boiled down to heat rejection.

Consider how large the windshield is on any car, let alone the X, and you'll save a signifiant amount of workload on the HVAC system by reducing the heat coming into the car.

Also bear in mind tinting ≠ darkening. There are tints which are almost clear in terms of a privacy perspective by most effective in rejecting the solar/UV radiation.

i did 55% on the windshield and 5% on sides/rear for our latest addition. Loving it so far. No LE issues yet.

I had 70% and 10% on the last one for 5 years. No issues.

have 55% and 15% on another car, no issues.

No windshield tint and 10% on another car for 7+ years, no issues. (want to do 30% on this one's windshield).

Update:

Just picked up the car and as always, Surround Sound (Richardson) did an outstanding job. Honestly, I can't even tell there is tint on the front windshield, so pleased with that - and love the fact it is helping to block this Texas heat. Still curious if anyone else in Texas has experience with tint on the windshield though.
Just picked up 2023 Y this week and OMG the heat. I've been looking for a local tinting business... and saw this post. What % of tint did you get done? any pics? I'm also thinking about PPF for at least the front.

I know it is illegal to tint the whole windshield in Texas with anything but clear, so I was leaning toward not touching it. The shop I took my car to said they do it all the time and nobody has run into issues. They suggested only do 70% because it not very noticeable. I’m leaning toward doing it, but know there is an inherent risk. All the other windows will be to spec. So, for those who live in Texas and had your windshield tinted

1. What % did you do?
2. Did you go beyond the 5” from the top?
3. Have you been pulled over or had issues with inspection due to the windshield?

Thanks!
Stephen
Hey Stephen,
I did mine and had the entire windshield done and knock on wood, no issues. On a separate note, I noticed you had a thread for OEM wheels that expired. I wreck today with the north Texas rain and crack mine. If yours are still available, please let me know!
Tony

FWIW - I was one of those "why would you tint your windshield" person... in my mind, it was "you are going to reduce visibility" and "it's illegal". But when I got the model x, I ended up deciding to tint because it was pretty damn hot with that massive windshield over head. I went up with XPEL XR Plus 70. With the 70, you really can't tell there's tint on the windshield, unless you have another car (same car) next to it. I have no problem seeing at night (and I am not a young guy anymore) But the heat rejection is just incredible.... now I am at the point that I want to tint all my cars. The only real "issue" is you need to make sure no one sticks anything to your windshield. My toll tag, registration stickers, etc, are all on static sheets, which is actually a nice side benefit... they come off clean when it's time to replace the registration sticker.

• Informative
Reactions: Skavatar and byeLT4
Yeah, and let me say, tinting the windshield of the model X is EXPENSIVE, so I had to think LONG and hard about it. Truly, if the concern is about visibility and darkening, at least with the XPEL XR Plus 70 (at 70 visible light transmission), it really does not visibly darken anything... so the flip side to that is, my wife still has to wear her sunglasses. Her eyes are very sensitive and she wears sunglasses on bright days. With the whole car tinted and windshield, she still needs sunglasses.

Oh and if you are going to tint the windshield, it should go without saying, but use a reputable brand of film and shop. Honestly I am amazed at the clarity of quality tint film these days.

i tinted everything XPEL XR Plus.

front, back, roof and the windows.

i went 70% for the front, back and roof..

25% for the windows.

living in texas..any type of heat reduction is helpful

visibility is normal while driving at night.

tesla2.jpg

So far, I'm too cheap to do the windshield. I had the side and back windows done, bought a shield for the roof. It would be my luck, I'd do the windshield then catch a flying rock the next day...................$300 down the drain. I may change my mind in July.