Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • Tesla's Supercharger Team was recently laid off. We discuss what this means for the company on today's TMC Podcast streaming live at 1PM PDT. You can watch on X or on YouTube where you can participate in the live chat.

Tesla inspection fee changes in Texas?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 2018 M3 and am just doing my second sticker renewal.

I had to do my first last year because of the two-year new car thing that Tesla buyers don't qualify for, so fine. I did my inspection at Kwik Kar ($7 and 10 minutes), and renewed.

Yesterday I did my inspection for this year, same deal, but now when I go to renew the sticker online, I'm seeing this:

"INSPECTION FEE-2YR $16.75"

The renewal is for a 12 month term per the site, but for some reason I'm getting charged a 2 year inspection fee. What's interesting is that the form that I got in the mail only shows $7.50 for the inspection fee.

At the bottom of the page I see this in red, with no other explanation: "Vehicle Inspection fee recalculated due to update inspection information"

I figure I'll wait a couple of days and try again, but I was just wondering if anyone else has noticed a difference recently.

So... We called TxDOT this morning and they said to verify the inspection at mytxcar.org (that just sounds fishy) to see if Kwik Kar put me in for a two year sticker, which would explain the different fee during renewal.

Sure enough:

upload_2020-12-22_11-21-45.png

They also said that I won't require an inspection or renewal next year. I can't find any other information about this, so I'm not sure what changed and when. Maybe due to the recent moves?