Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Insurance is cheap but horrible to deal with if you have a claim

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got into a pretty bad car crash last Wednesday which probably totaled my new Model S. I filed a claim after the accident and waited patiently to hear back. Friday came and still nothing so I called to see what is going on since a three day weekend was coming up. The person sounded like I bothered her even calling. She asked me some questions and then said its too late to get it towed. Tuesday came and I called her to let her know I have police report and that Ill be going to tow yard to get the car released to Tesla. Wednesday she texts me at 2pm asking where the car is. This is after I emailed her Friday the new address that the car is located at a new location and even on Tuesday.

Late Wednesday I call the body shop where the car is located and they said Tesla might come Thursday to get it. Now how can an insurance take over a week to finally take the car out of the yard which is probably incurring many fees which I better not be stuck with? Also, I texted her asking what are the next steps in the insurance process and asked her questions through email which were never responded to. I have no idea if they even talked with the other insurance yet. The other party is at fault. I'm thinking about just calling the other insurance to see what's going on with the claim.

• Informative
Reactions: Missile Toad
Tesla is horrible to work with on all fronts, just read the forums, so this is no surprise.

If the other party is at fault, you and the shop should be talking with their insurance company. Tesla insurance will have no liability; you just inform Tesla in case the other party challenges who is at fault.

Tesla is horrible to work with on all fronts, just read the forums, so this is no surprise.

If the other party is at fault, you and the shop should be talking with their insurance company. Tesla insurance will have no liability; you just inform Tesla in case the other party challenges who is at fault.
Ok if that's the protocol when the other party is at fault then ok I don't mind doing that. The thing is she's not responding to any of my questions and took way too long to get he car out which they might not even get out today. I also have no idea who is suppose to determine if the car is totaled. My insurance or the other party insurance? You would think 7 Teslas on the account would get at least average customer service.

You always have the option of using your insurance, then they work with the at faults insurance to get your deductible
My Tesla insurance rep basically said if I don't want to pay the deductible then I should just call the other insurance and deal with them. Now the other insurance is taking its time to get the estimate done. It took them a whole week to get the car towed.

Depends upon the State. Some states are totally non-fault; you pays your deductible and your insurance does the legwork. I've had cases with non-Tesla insurance where, in my state, my insurance company went after the other for the deductible, and got it. But a lot depends upon how the State regulations are written.

Other states require one to go bug the other driver's insurance company. The sob stories and flat-out cheating by the other driver's insurance company are legion, and why there's lots of state with no-fault. Lawyers, in general, lobby against no-fault, since they get paid when people do lawsuits, and not so much when the insurance companies just pay up.

Often (but not always) bad behavior by an insurance company, yours or the other driver's, can be rectified by contacting the State bureau in charge of regulating insurance companies. Again, it depends upon the State, but, in some States, those regulating bodies take no prisoners and scare the heck out of the insurers.

Last edited:
Oh, Yes- I have issues

Instead of reimbursing me $1095 for a legitimate windshield replacement (in Aug) as promised, Tesla simply charged my credit card and Tesla Insurance didn't blink.
I have been calling multiple numbers at Tesla Insurance over a few days, including the mysterious claim adjuster, NO BODY PICKES UP MY CALL, NOR RETURN MY MESSAGES.

Before you decide on signing for Tesla Insurance, remember- they are very good at at taking your premium on time, but when you need to talk to a human being none is available. So consider others.

I am considering going back to Geico

I have Tesla Insurance figuring they would be the best at understanding and fixing their own cars better than other providers. Faster too due to connections? I guess that’s not the case.
I guess different people have different experiences here. I always wonder when people have terrible experiences, how did they treat the service person who was supposed to help them?

As a worker who helps solve customers' problems there is no quicker way to get ignored by me than to be rude and unappreciative.

Reactions: enemji
As a worker who helps solve customers' problems there is no quicker way to get ignored by me than to be rude and unappreciative.
Entitled people for sure. Everyone is paying their $$$ but how does that give that customer a right to demand servile attitude from the customer services team? Unbelievable, yet true. If you visit the Asian countries such as India and China, it is even worse. Customers literally 👋🏻 slap the person serving them, and with no remorse.

• Disagree
Reactions: M3BlueGeorgia
Tesla insurance is a fkin joke. I had my accident 7 weeks ago today. My car was deemed a total loss. They finally said last Monday that the check will be mailed. The rep told me it will take a week to get to me. I guess sending a $100K+ check is not urgent enough to get express shipping or at least priority mail with tracking. Then I call her this Monday and she says give it up to 10 business days. What a joke. I know she didn't send it and is just playing games at this point. She never responds to her emails and never picks up her phone.

Every time I have to talk to her I have to call Tesla insurance and select that I want to open up a new claim just to talk to someone who will then email her to call me back. You can't even talk to a supervisor. They just say the supervisor will talk with the agent and tell her to call me.

I guess different people have different experiences here. I always wonder when people have terrible experiences, how did they treat the service person who was supposed to help them?

Vines said: "....how did they treat the service person who was supposed to help them?...." Really? in the weeks I have been calling Tesla Insurance I haven't managed to talk to a single human being! Of course I cursed- but I just talked to a robo-phone. I believe that in this case the robot didn't accept "rude and unappreciative" customer calls.
...and NO, I still have not seen my $1095 reimbursed by this not-so-good insurer.....

Vines said: "....how did they treat the service person who was supposed to help them?...." Really? in the weeks I have been calling Tesla Insurance I haven't managed to talk to a single human being! Of course I cursed- but I just talked to a robo-phone. I believe that in this case the robot didn't accept "rude and unappreciative" customer calls.
...and NO, I still have not seen my $1095 reimbursed by this not-so-good insurer.....
I didn't mean to imply you did anything wrong, it just seems my experience is different. Literally nothing about your account matches my experience.

I called just now to get a person and had one on the phone in 8 minutes. She looked into my account and let me know to get my windshield replaced I have to pay my $500 deductible, then they pay the rest.

I cannot really reconcile your experience with mine, as there was no robot at all.

I called once before about the missing account info on the web site and waited for 30 mins before someone answered, she was very helpful and told me the information have been removed and only available on the app. As usual ymmv but in general Tesla customer service across business is not as good as others, I have horrible experience with solar and also both good and bad experiences on mobile app/SC. For those who have bad experience, they just have to think twice before renewal, I personally won’t defend Tesla.

Last edited: