Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Insurance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just got an email for renewal for the 6 month policy. No changes were made.

In the email tesla said I had a group discount, which was removed because they could not confirm I was a tesla employee. Never during my sign up process was I a Tesla employee. Not sure what the group discount was. I believe it was suppose to be fsd discount??

Anyone one else notice this? My premium is going up $100 for 6 months.

Update(s) to your Renewing Policy:

In-Network Rental Coverage:
Your in-network rental coverage updated to $45 per day, $1,350 per claim to align with the filed rates. This update will not result in a change in premium of your policy.
In-network rental coverage will only be provided if the rental vehicle is from our designated vendor(s). Contact a licensed agent for a list.
Group Discount-Tesla Employee:
We were unable to verify your employment with Tesla and removed the Employee discount for your renewal.

Started out 600 for 6 months
Then 650 after the first 6 months
Then after 2 years it’s now 755 for 6 months
I thought Insurance suppose to be cheaper each year lol
Generally that would be the case. (Assuming from here) but when has a car purchase Appreciated in value after purchase? Could just be going up as replacement cost and current value has actually Increased which is an odd turn.

Keep in mind insurance is also based on miles so all those people who signed up saying they only drive 2k miles and now the car shows they actually drive 10k miles within 6 months you will see a spike in insurance price.

Tesla is projecting that my wife’s model 3’s insurance cost next month will be $63 a month (with a 99 safety score and pretty much maxed out coverages). Not too shabby! Looks like something has changed, we were paying around $100 and something previously with a safety score of 98.

Tesla is projecting that my wife’s model 3’s insurance cost next month will be $63 a month (with a 99 safety score and pretty much maxed out coverages). Not too shabby! Looks like something has changed, we were paying around $100 and something previously with a safety score of 98.
Just got an email about my insurance, it looks like tesla is no longer basing it on the estimated miles I initially supplied them, it is now basing the rates on the actual miles we drove in the past five months. It has my model Y pegged at over 24,000 a year and my wife’s 3 as 6001-9000 miles a year.

Edit: we have pretty much also got the highest coverages possible, so I’m really happy with the new rates…just need to try and get my mileage under 24,000 a year

Last edited:
How consistent are Tesla's insurance rates? It looks like they may go up but 10-15% doesn't worry me (Tesla's insurance quote is $1800 a year less than my current coverage from AAA).

The weird thing about the Tesla quote (which is making me worry) is that it went down $5 after I added my 24 year old son as a driver. A day later, I am still seeing the same remarkably affordable Tesla quote with my son listed so am tempted not to look a gift horse in the mouth,

• Funny
Reactions: Itsuo-DC
How consistent are Tesla's insurance rates? It looks like they may go up but 10-15% doesn't worry me (Tesla's insurance quote is $1800 a year less than my current coverage from AAA).

The weird thing about the Tesla quote (which is making me worry) is that it went down $5 after I added my 24 year old son as a driver. A day later, I am still seeing the same remarkably affordable Tesla quote with my son listed so am tempted not to look a gift horse in the mouth,
Depending what state you’re in. The insurance rate varies…

Some takes will take your driving score into account. That can drastically lower or raise your rate.

We are in Texas and just got our 2021 Tesla Model 3. We have State Farm and I've learned that no matter who your legacy insurance company is, they do not like to insure Teslas for some reason. Tesla Insurance came back about $27 a month cheaper than State Farm and for better coverage too, so our Tesla is through Tesla Insurance and we still have our other vehicles and house with State Farm, only so that we don't lose the multi car and multi policy discounts.

We are in Texas and just got our 2021 Tesla Model 3. We have State Farm and I've learned that no matter who your legacy insurance company is, they do not like to insure Teslas for some reason. Tesla Insurance came back about $27 a month cheaper than State Farm and for better coverage too, so our Tesla is through Tesla Insurance and we still have our other vehicles and house with State Farm, only so that we don't lose the multi car and multi policy discounts.
Progressive Quoted me at $450/m for my MSLR, my M3P is $200/m.
My only wreck is the idiot who T-Boned me running a stop sign 2 years ago -_-*

Geico was $300/m

Telsa was $163/m, Literally $3400 saving a year in insurance. WILD

My question is, how much does driving fast effect your insurance rate? Cause in Texas....we drive a bit fast .-.

Progressive Quoted me at $450/m for my MSLR, my M3P is $200/m.
My only wreck is the idiot who T-Boned me running a stop sign 2 years ago -_-*

Geico was $300/m

Telsa was $163/m, Literally $3400 saving a year in insurance. WILD

My question is, how much does driving fast effect your insurance rate? Cause in Texas....we drive a bit fast .-.
When I look at what makes up the safety score on the Tesla app, I don't see anything for speed, thank goodness. :).

Reactions: DFWBrad