Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla iOS app widget & car wakeup

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have tested the iOS app widget this week. I have read in an old post that the widget should not wake up the car in any way as opening the app does.

However, every time I swipe left the phone screen to the widgets page, it first shows the previous range (with a « X minutes ago » tag), then displays a refreshing animation, then updates the range. And it does it absolutely every time I look at the widgets page.
How can it do this without waking up the car and thus draining battery ?

I want to try the Tesla widget on iOS 14 but can't seem to find it. It is not an option when I try to edit the screen where the widgets usually appear.

The actual Tesla app doesn't have a a proper iOS 14 widget, however they still have a "Today Extension" as it's called in the developer community. You can add that to your iPhone running iOS 14 or 14.0.1 (which arrived yesterday and highly recommend you install it).

Below is their "Today Extension" that was available for the past year in iOS 13. It's pretty basic, and I'm sure one day Tesla will create a proper iOS 14 widget (once they support iOS 14 fully).

IMG_1685.jpg

The actual Tesla app doesn't have a a proper iOS 14 widget, however they still have a "Today Extension" as it's called in the developer community. You can add that to your iPhone running iOS 14 or 14.0.1 (which arrived yesterday and highly recommend you install it).

Below is their "Today Extension" that was available for the past year in iOS 13. It's pretty basic, and I'm sure one day Tesla will create a proper iOS 14 widget (once they support iOS 14 fully).

View attachment 592210

So where do I find this "Today Extension" thingy? I just switched to an iOS device (iPhone 12 Mini) after 5 years and kinda annoyed that there's no quick shortcut to open the frunk. I tried to find this in the list of widgets but there's nothing for the Tesla app or so it seems.

I'm also looking into this whole "Shortcuts" thing and seems I can achieve some pretty impressive stuff with it. However that's another topic but meanwhile I'd like to know how I could get that pictured widget thingy to show up on my phone running iOS 14.1

You may want to consider a 3rd party app to get more of things your looking for such as “stats”. It has lots more ability for Apple shortcuts etc.....
I would prefer to use the OEM Tesla app I just wish they would work on the app itself and expand some of the abilities