Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Lease Restrictions on 100% Charging?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm curious... With Tesla offering short (2-year) leases for Model S & Model X, what's to stop someone from leasing a Model S or Model X and charging to 100% every day regardless of long-term damage to the pack? Is there any language in the lease agreement that prohibits this? If not, this could be an interesting way for drivers of leased Tesla vehicles to address range anxiety. However, if no restrictions exist... people who are considering purchasing a returned Tesla short-term lease vehicle in the future should insist to see the statistics for full charge cycles before purchasing, as I suspect this could be just as important (if not more so) than mileage or cosmetic condition. Thoughts?

I doubt there is any protection.
This would be similar to someone thrashing their lease car, not running it in carefully, etc.
That's one of the risks in buying second hand.
Having said that, you'd be able to check the range before purchase, so could tell if range had been diminished.

Reactions: chillaban
Why assume a leasor has so much time to waste, that invariably they're more than eager to twiddle their thumbs to get that last 5%-10%
I was actually just thinking about this in the context of standard overnight charging, not supercharging or destination charging since I certainly agree with your "time wasting" comment. I would think if there are no restrictions for daily 100% charging, and given that long-term battery health likely isn't a major concern to a 2-year lease customer, in the future it may be important for purchasers of used Tesla vehicles that have been returned from a previous 2-year lease to look carefully not just at mileage and physical condition, but also the historical battery charging statistics.

Charging to 100% is actually VERY annoying as it disables your regen braking (the car drives differently for the first few miles). Even if it had no effect on the battery I would not charge to 100% unless I absolutely had to (have only done it maybe 10 times in the last 3 years).

Not sure this matters enough to be concerned. These aren't Leaf batteries.

People have reported between 4-6% degradation at 100,000 miles. At some point thereafter, out of warranty costs will prompt the purchase of a lower-mileage vehicle for all but the diehards. And for those buying a 6-year old Model S for the price, it's doubtful they'd care about even a 10% loss.

For those that *do* care, then a range charge before purchase could be a nice differentiator if they're fortunate enough to have their choice of, say, three P90Ds. All else being equal, of course. Good catch.

Charging to 100% is actually VERY annoying as it disables your regen braking (the car drives differently for the first few miles). Even if it had no effect on the battery I would not charge to 100% unless I absolutely had to (have only done it maybe 10 times in the last 3 years).
Agreed 100%.

FWIW - I'm leasing and I know of zero obligations - I can charge it however I want and I can skip maintenance if I want.