Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla lost me - trading in me 1 month old 2022 MYLR

Do you plan to keep your Tesla longer than 5 years?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Where do I begin? I won't bore all of you here but I will tell you small parts of this absurdity.

1) delivery was BS won't get in ti detail but they acted like they were doing me a favor just letting me purchase one of their precious vehicles. No courtesy or customer service at all. Might as well buy at a kiosk.

2) I get vehicle we here what sounds like rattling in front drivers wheel well. I am told it is frunk noise ignore it.

3) Go to get my NH state inspection two days ago. Guy tells me to come in to service area and I notice he has the car up on a lift. I thought that was weird but he was a Tesla owner himself and I brought it to this shop to get inspected because of recommendations on this site - NH has no Tesla dealers. This guy was amazing - no charge for him finding that noise was a loose jam nut on the Tie Rod end.

4) as he shows me I see the torque QC markings all over place on the suspension - but NOT on the jam nuts on either tie rod. Luckily the other tie rod jam not did not come loose. He says he tightened it but tell Tesla to do an alignment under warranty and make them aware if this so they check care. I did NOT hit anything to cause this - car has 1000 miles and I baby it avoiding even sewer indentations. I am not an aggressive driver at all. And, even if I did hit something, to knock a jam nut loose there would be other damage. He documents the finding.

5) I open - reluctantly - a service ticket. I was scared now because I kind of suspected that I would be in to a "prove it" scenario.

6) I get a lovely "estimate" of $275 from the SC and I have to pay this estimate to keep my Appt. The estimate has a "Goodwill " $0 to look at the loose nut then they gave me a really great deal on an alignment - they have a line item if $275 for a "4-wheel alignment"

7) I wrote numerous notes - cuz you can't talk to anyone you have to work asyncronoysly to who knows who is writing back to you on the app. I wrote this is bullsh$& and I am under warranty and the jam nut IS part of an alignment therefore the alignment should be free.

Why am I trading this car?

1) I can't "battle" on an app chat for warranty work. Imagine what this would be like if the repair were 10k? Why can't I talk to a person?

2) even if they solved number 1, how the heck do they get away charging $275 for a 4-wheel alignment - WTF!!!! That's a $185 item at every shop that works on Teslas around here except a few. And I am in a high cost area. I could do the alignment myself by why should I spend hours doing that!!!

3) the serviceability of the vehicle is poor - not only are things hidden but as I post on the battery threads - the battery warranty is good but after that you are in time bomb. No shops can do component level repair because Tesla refuses or makes it difficult to get component parts or subassembly parts unless you are friends with people there. Try getting a circuit board in an inverter - you will get a backurder at best for 12 months. I know this from someone who had tried who owns a shop.

4) Costs of service are not "at cost" as I was led to believe buying the car by Elon - if an alignment is $275 then that explains why I have seen repairs on this site for things that actually that should cost only $500 but cost $4k. Between extortion fees for service and cost of only replacing full assemblies rather than subassemblies or components you drive the car in to high cost repair's unnecessaryily.

5) this car clearly is not designed to run past 5-7 years based on above items. Could it - yes - and engineering for Tesla is amazing! But no engineer can fight laws of numbers - human or computer error will cause failures. These are complex systems. We paid goid money for these, therefore we should have a say as consumers based on our feedback that future service ability matters. Otherwise these cars are simply marketed to the rich or very well to do as you need to replace every 5 years at 70k a pop.

6) Elon seems preoccupied with Twitter rather than focusing on Tesla.

7) Quality is not what I expected although it's not super bad. I couldn't test drive befire so I was surprised at the inability to change regen braking like the i4 BMW can. They took that away. I bought thinking that could be there but software removed it. Detrimental reliance? Not going there...and don't get me started in the Uktrasonic or radar.

8) 4680 packs - the new structural pack which I don't have but what they are doing proves my points. They only care about the battery pack as a whole. You can't service a battery pack on the 4680 structural approach. Watch Munro live he proves it. Therefore - it proves to me Tesla thinks wheh a battery pack fails we all can have 25k at the ready to pop in. That's insanity.

I am sad because I love the car. I have babyed it and kept SOC between 30 and 70 % never use superchargers etc. I wanted to know I did everything I could to ensure that battery lasted me 200K miles and if I needed more charge I would do it ahead of my trip. I did not view managing the battery like that as some catastrophic inconvenience as some have alleged it is.

I am very sad - hopefully someone younger who has the patience for this and is a fanboy of Elon more than I enjoys the car. They will be lucky to get it with the care I have put in.

Last edited:
For warranty service, Tesla always tells you to approve an estimate and then afterwards they waive off the charge as goodwill. The main issue is " is Tesla considering the alignment as work covered under warranty due to improperly torqued nuts?" I wish here was an easier option to talk to someone in Tesla to get a confirmation. Tesla has removed human interface - implemented digital interface taken customer service to " virtual and extremely disappointing"

Reactions: dhrivnak
That makes sense - have you had a SC experience like this? If I get to the service center is there a human I can show and explain this is stupid? If an inverter fails and causes the Du to fail, they don't reneg on replacing both so why here? Same analogy. Even if I pay for it - why is it $275 for a $185 alignment?

If I were 27 and naive to the big picture of this I would keep it. But here is what's gonna happen - in 3-4 years enough people will get so upset that these cars will show up in used market on drives and that will crash the residual values of all our cars. I saw this already with flippers, who are not that big of a crowd on big scheme of things, where 3 months ago my car I could have made a 10k profit selling to Carvana or carmax. They flooded market and now my car value is 5k-10k less. Once all these Tesla leases end and repair pal or consumer reports starts tracking costs of repairs Tesla's resale value will plummet, insurance premiums will rise for AnY Tesla owner too. Cars brands are based on three factors - reliability & repair ability that are intertwined, safety, and performance & features all within a budgetary number. Teslas market is completely inverted right now in that folks just buy because they think they are cool and safe - but reliability and serviceability are dropping fast and the general population doesn't buy cars the way the Tesla followers are buying today. They are more pragmatic.

I think you stand very good chance to get the charges waived as the car is fairly new, no modifications were done nor was the car involved in any accident . If I were you. I would take it to the service center and then argue my case in case they still want to charge for the alignment. I have owned 3 Tesla's so far since 2018 , and this has been my experience so far.

I think you stand very good chance to get the charges waived as the car is fairly new, no modifications were done nor was the car involved in any accident . If I were you. I would take it to the service center and then argue my case in case they still want to charge for the alignment. I have owned 3 Tesla's so far since 2018 , and this has been my experience so far.
Thanks man. And I am 85% sure I could win that. Problem is - I can't get past this for when I am out of warranty I feel I will be utterly gouged

Reactions: Apostle
Thanks man. And I am 85% sure I could win that. Problem is - I can't get past this for when I am out of warranty I feel I will be utterly gouged
By the time your warranty starts , I feel there will be more 3rd party authorized service centers for Tesla , as Tesla will not be able to do all the servicing themselves once they have a few million cars on the road.

Reactions: Olle
Umm, my car is out of warranty and they replaced a noisy upper control arm for me for a tiny $90. I didn't even ask for a discount. Other than the cost of alignments, I find that service is actually cheaper than service on my Toyota. I sounds like the OP has never visited a Porsche or BMW dealer.

By the time your warranty starts , I feel there will be more 3rd party authorized service centers for Tesla , as Tesla will not be able to do all the servicing themselves once they have a few million cars on the road.
Agree and I hope that was direction - funny I was ostracized on this board for saying exactly what you said in that "I am proporting to be from the future" by saying Tesla is not equipped to handle the service load tsunami coming their way in coming years. No OEM could possibly handle all the service for their cars - it would make dealerships in to 80% service revenue operations and that's not what dealers want ti do. Dealers do service as a convenience and because they "have to" as required by old school OEM contracts.

Umm, my car is out of warranty and they replaced a noisy upper control arm for me for a tiny $90. I didn't even ask for a discount. Other than the cost of alignments, I find that service is actually cheaper than service on my Toyota. I sounds like the OP has never visited a Porsche or BMW dealer.
That's a good deal. Why I am getting $275 for an alignment that's their fault? This pis$& me off even more to hear stories like yours because it shows lack of consistency. Are they just price gouging at my SC or to my account just because they didn't like the - polite but firm - tone I may have used?

Reactions: Apostle
Folks, lets not make this a .....ing contest. Everybody has understood the crux of the issue and the way forward. Nobody is here to win an argument as that is not the intent of this forum. We are all friends trying to share what we know ( sometimes called as knowledge) and help anyone with some insights into their problem with Tesla vehicle. - Peace

Reactions: MylerB and tesdpr
5) this car clearly is not designed to run past 5-7 years based on above items. Could it - yes - and engineering for Tesla is amazing! But no engineer can fight laws of numbers - human or computer error will cause failures. These are complex systems. We paid goid money for these, therefore we should have a say as consumers based on our feedback that future service ability matters. Otherwise these cars are simply marketed to the rich or very well to do as you need to replace every 5 years at 70k a pop.

6) Elon seems preoccupied with Twitter rather than focusing on Tesla.
On point #5, yes, it sure seems like Tesla's strengths aren't in automotive reliability and durability testing. I started that thread years ago and it's been crickets. I guess many (most?) on TMC don't care.

It wouldn't surprise me if Tesla doesn't care a whole bunch beyond the length of the respective warranties on various systems on the car along w/anything that might cause a safety recall. Automakers are financially on the hook for warranty repairs so it's in their business interest to keep that cost down but once the warranty is over...

I pointed to a 10 year limitation obligations for a free recall repair at 2022 invoice prices - My Nissan Leaf Forum. Copy of the .gov page is at Motor Vehicle Defects and Safety Recalls: What Every Vehicle Owner Should Know | Safercar.gov | NHTSA.

It seems that may have been upped to 15 years per https://www.nhtsa.gov/sites/nhtsa.gov/files/documents/14218-mvsdefectsandrecalls_041619-v2-tag.pdf page 17.

6) Yep.

Last edited:
I'm very disappointed with Tesla service. I don't feel it's the SC staff though I think it's Tesla policies.

You must be taking a significant loss on the car trading it in?

Their initial quality is not that good but in most cases if you have the patience to get the car sorted it's a decent car.

Reactions: tesdpr
I'm very disappointed with Tesla service. I don't feel it's the SC staff though I think it's Tesla policies.

You must be taking a significant loss on the car trading it in?

Their initial quality is not that good but in most cases if you have the patience to get the car sorted it's a decent car.
Thank God I am not taking a loss. I ordered it over a year ago so got it 12k below current pricing. Trade appraisal is 1k more than I paid. I do repeat business with dealers so they take care of me. They know I give them pristine trades maybe? I thought market was 5k below trade value they gave but I had an offer of 1k higher than this dealer at BMW dealership, and an Internet car buying Conpany offer me what I paid too.

A lot of people I get trading in their Teslæ cite service as the breaking point. I don’t disagree that this needs more work but aside from piss poor loaner availability I have noticed some improvements.

That being said, I hope you bought at pre-hike pricing because otherwise you’ll likely taking a bath on this.

A lot of people I get trading in their Teslæ cite service as the breaking point. I don’t disagree that this needs more work but aside from piss poor loaner availability I have noticed some improvements.

That being said, I hope you bought at pre-hike pricing because otherwise you’ll likely taking a bath on this.
Yes I did - otherwise I would have to keep it

Reactions: ElectricIAC
From looking at videos and posts for about a year it seems like location has done (a lot?) to do with with delivery/service experience. I bought a used 2022 S a little over a month ago and had to have one Service visit for a fog light that emitted a blue light. It actually looked cool but I had it changed anyway. Every interaction I had with Tesla was excellent and I’m no pushover. I can be very critical when necessary. I really like the car and I really liked the buying process. The people I dealt with at delivery were enthusiastic and just fun to deal with. Irvine California location.

Reactions: GSP and ElectricIAC
What you going to get to replace it? Life is too short to keep a car you don’t like.
BMW iX or MB EQS or EQE or maybe bow out of electric all together for 3 years. My problem is -

Tesla is amazing engineering - best car I have ever driven for overall confidence in engineering. But cost to run for service and reliability are unknown and shouldn't be - I waited years to buy one until it was not a first Gen.

MB and BMW, Hyundai, Toyota, etc - ALL are inferior designs - some more significantly than others. They will have major issues no better than Tesla - probably less reliable too. However, if I buy an extended warranty I know I can get 10-15 years provided the battery is comparable in BMS and thermals to Tesla. Long term costs could be higher but more luxury and local quality dealer network.

Gas - after owning a Tesla and charging I have to say there is a psychological factor to this beyond money. There is something special about literally plugging in a state of the art vehicle like the Tesla and never going to get gas. I love it. But Gas even if I have to pay $5 a gallon is something I can trust with 100 years behind it of improvements.

Might just get a Subaru Legacy as I am in snow country and wait out the EV Generationsl evolution until Gen 3 Tesla tech comes out abd Tesla addresses lack of serviceability for the structural battery packs or gen2 bmw, Mb, etc.

I feel like a Guinea pig and on the road it's not cool with children in the car. Good analogy is this - iPhone 14 you would think is pinnacle of tech but I have had more lockups on it since upgrading than ever. Software on Tesla with the merged stack could bring new unfirseeen issues.

If anyone else has had these thoughts and came to the conclusion of keeping Tesla please help - I don't want to dump it but can't afford the hassle of service centers that want to rip me off or a company making new models design for throwing away the battery like the structural battery pack.

BMW iX or MB EQS or EQE or maybe bow out of electric all together for 3 years. My problem is -

Tesla is amazing engineering - best car I have ever driven for overall confidence in engineering. But cost to run for service and reliability are unknown and shouldn't be - I waited years to buy one until it was not a first Gen.

MB and BMW, Hyundai, Toyota, etc - ALL are inferior designs - some more significantly than others. They will have major issues no better than Tesla - probably less reliable too. However, if I buy an extended warranty I know I can get 10-15 years provided the battery is comparable in BMS and thermals to Tesla. Long term costs could be higher but more luxury and local quality dealer network.

Gas - after owning a Tesla and charging I have to say there is a psychological factor to this beyond money. There is something special about literally plugging in a state of the art vehicle like the Tesla and never going to get gas. I love it. But Gas even if I have to pay $5 a gallon is something I can trust with 100 years behind it of improvements.

Might just get a Subaru Legacy as I am in snow country and wait out the EV Generationsl evolution until Gen 3 Tesla tech comes out abd Tesla addresses lack of serviceability for the structural battery packs or gen2 bmw, Mb, etc.

I feel like a Guinea pig and on the road it's not cool with children in the car. Good analogy is this - iPhone 14 you would think is pinnacle of tech but I have had more lockups on it since upgrading than ever. Software on Tesla with the merged stack could bring new unfirseeen issues.

If anyone else has had these thoughts and came to the conclusion of keeping Tesla please help - I don't want to dump it but can't afford the hassle of service centers that want to rip me off or a company making new models design for throwing away the battery like the structural battery pack.
Sounds like you dislike most all cars so not sure anyone can help. Good luck with your next car.

Sounds like you dislike most all cars so not sure anyone can help. Good luck with your next car.
Nope - just don't believe in the Tesla is perfect. Bought over 30 new cars in my life - liked most of them - none ever had issues day of delivery, I could test drive one to do my own QC befire I left. Not at Tesla. Don't get me wrong I love the Tesla idea, it is just not being executed well right now and the structural battery pack and service issues and QC issues are showstoppers now.