Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla MCU Index - ARM Tegra, Intel Atom, AMD Ryzen

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I didn’t think MCU2 had a daughterboard. MCU3/Z for S/X has a GPU daughterboard, but the unreleased MCU3/Z+ for those cars does not, as they integrated both back on a larger PCB.

It seems like a lot of trouble to rework a newer processor compared to the incremental gain. I wonder how those boards would perform with more memory?

Alternatively, maybe less trouble to retrofit the unspotted but certainly upcoming 3/Y HW4 integrated modules into older cars. Yes, you’d have to solve both the cooling issue (but without a dedicated GPU) and solve the issue of the FSD location being separate. I just don’t know if newer hardware can run on the portrait mode screens for the older S/X. If the new roadster keeps that same orientation it would help a bunch.

Last edited:
You're right, I just found pictures of MCU2, there is no daughterboard, anyway, upgrade is still possible, the same way soldered laptop CPUs upgraded &RAM etc. Should be doable and should work, of course the biggest question if it is worth it or not. It is a shame Tesla doesn't make it more modular.

MCU3/MCUZ originally listed for S/X had the GPU daughter card, but spy photos are already out of the new CPU GPU single PCB. Not sure if the components change.

We should probably also include the 3/Y Ryzen no dedicated GPU board that was released after this thread was started.
Yes, Model 3/Y are the majority of the cars, so it'll be good if their MCUs get explicitly listed. As I understand it:
- MCUZ in Model S/X - has daughterboard with discrete Radeon GPU
- MCUZ in Model 3/Y - doesn't have the daughterboard (except for some of the first units manufactured). Can that be purchased and installed as upgrade?
- MCU coming along with HW4 in Model S/X - has discrete Radeon GPU chip soldered on the main MCU board
- MCU coming along with HW4 in Model 3/Y - ???