Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla mobile tech damaged 2015 S replacing charge port door

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The charge port door on my 2015 S takes 3 or 4 attempts to open, display says open when closed, and vice versa. A mobile tech came to my home and I heard the sound of an impact being used in my attached garage which I thought was strange as all this job requires is to remove the charge port and left rear taillight.

Seemed to be taking an excessive amount of time for this type of replacement so I walked into the garage to check on the mobile tech and he advised that he wouldn't be able to replace the charge port door that day because the "body nuts" spun when he was removing the charge port which he has "seen happen a few times." He advised he would need to talk to service about what to do. After discussing with them he scheduled an appointment for the car at the service center for them to remedy the situation.

When I received the updated quote it was 4x the original quote as now they want additional labor and to replace the charge port along with the charge port door. I left a frustrated response in the Tesla app chat advising Tesla should cover the additional cost as it was due to their tech not using basic hand tools on bolts that aren't torqued on. I received a voicemail from a rep at my local service center the next day. He stated the tech "has been with them about 9 years", "can't fault the tech for what happened", "vehicle is outside of warranty", and it was a "cordless drill."

I pulled up my Ring footage at my garage and can see the tech carrying in an impact driver and hear the notorious sound of an impact being used.

Returned the call to the rep and asked him if they wanted to now replace the charge port because they know they will damage it when they cut the heads off or drill out the bolts. He confirmed that was the reason.

I have never complained about any service costs in the past, but it is frustrating I am supposed to foot the bill for the additional costs in this situation. Also, a bit frustrating that the mentality seems to be that the customer is never right since we always "trust what my tech tells me."

Anyone else dealt with similar issues regarding replacement of charge port door or Tesla service not taking any accountability?

Yep…just keep complaining. You could always ask them to file an insurance claim on tesla service center (they have liability insurance….) or contact their insurance provider directly. Sounds reasonable based on scenario. Impact drills can snap a bolt if you don’t know what you are doing.

The charge port door on my 2015 S takes 3 or 4 attempts to open, display says open when closed, and vice versa. A mobile tech came to my home and I heard the sound of an impact being used in my attached garage which I thought was strange as all this job requires is to remove the charge port and left rear taillight.

Seemed to be taking an excessive amount of time for this type of replacement so I walked into the garage to check on the mobile tech and he advised that he wouldn't be able to replace the charge port door that day because the "body nuts" spun when he was removing the charge port which he has "seen happen a few times." He advised he would need to talk to service about what to do. After discussing with them he scheduled an appointment for the car at the service center for them to remedy the situation.

When I received the updated quote it was 4x the original quote as now they want additional labor and to replace the charge port along with the charge port door. I left a frustrated response in the Tesla app chat advising Tesla should cover the additional cost as it was due to their tech not using basic hand tools on bolts that aren't torqued on. I received a voicemail from a rep at my local service center the next day. He stated the tech "has been with them about 9 years", "can't fault the tech for what happened", "vehicle is outside of warranty", and it was a "cordless drill."

I pulled up my Ring footage at my garage and can see the tech carrying in an impact driver and hear the notorious sound of an impact being used.

Returned the call to the rep and asked him if they wanted to now replace the charge port because they know they will damage it when they cut the heads off or drill out the bolts. He confirmed that was the reason.

I have never complained about any service costs in the past, but it is frustrating I am supposed to foot the bill for the additional costs in this situation. Also, a bit frustrating that the mentality seems to be that the customer is never right since we always "trust what my tech tells me."

Anyone else dealt with similar issues regarding replacement of charge port door or Tesla service not taking any accountability?
I received a quote for $1400 to change mine for a sensor failure on my 2016 S. Ridiculous. I could change the part myself considering I fix multimillion dollar aircraft. I was told only Tesla can do the firmware update so I can’t just replace it myself. The same rep told me in response to my gripe that she charged the car for me as if the other option was to let my car die in the middle of being serviced.

Hey OP, any update on this?
Did they charge you for their attempt?

I've got the same issue on the bottom two retention screws for the charge port.