Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model 3 driver dies in crash with trailer, reminiscent of Brown case

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

electronblue

Oct 1, 2018
Earth
Unknown if Autopilot was active yet but seems possible:

Tesla Model 3 driver again dies in crash with trailer, Autopilot not yet ruled out

This is quite reminiscent of the AP1 Joshua Brown incident, if Autopilot was active. The difference today of course is the presence of many more nags.

Neither system AP1 or AP2.5 I believe has been trained for cross-traffic other than the radar potentially being a bit improved for this scenario since the AP1 days (MobilEye EyeQ3 does not support cross-traffic).

Any guess here how this has happened?

My observations:
The trailer is almost completely white.
There are no skirts on the trailer, radar can easily miss this. The large flat surface reflects the radar beam upwards, not back to the car's level but slightly above. only the frame gives good reflection back to the car, which may have been mistaken as stray reflections from side beams.
There are no tire marks that would indicate emergency braking.
Car kept rolling after the accident.

Does AEB use the information from the camera?
Does it react to steady objects at all?

I believe the NN was trained for cross traffic (I would expect they won't make the same mistake twice), but I have no information about this.

nomarks.PNG
truck.PNG
traveled.PNG
Model3.PNG

...Any guess...

The problem is: Tesla doesn't educate the public that its system is still in a very infancy stage.

Even when everything works perfectly as designed, AP can still crash and can result in fatalities.

People might get mad when Tesla answers that the system works normally as designed even in cases of fatalities.

Remember, its design is to require an attentive driver so death is expected if that requirement is missing.

People may overestimate its capability.

Tesla knows exactly whether it's on AP or not.

The last time with the Mountain View Apple engineer case, it was scolded by NTSB for revealing that it was indeed on.

Being obedient to the law means the public has to guess.

Why can't Tesla be defiant to the authority this time?

Everytime that AP has been off, Tesla has come out right away so very likely that it was on unless NTSB wont investigate

The problem is: Tesla doesn't educate the public that its system is still in a very infancy stage.

Even when everything works perfectly as designed, AP can still crash and can result in fatalities.

People might get mad when Tesla answers that the system works normally as designed even in cases of fatalities.

Remember, its design is to require an attentive driver so death is expected if that requirement is missing.

People may overestimate its capability.

The message your supposed to read when you agree is very clear, however as a web designer I know, users don't read. Not Tesla's fault they don't read though. I think its super hard to communicate that importance to people and over time people forget things also. It needs to nag them.