Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model 3 in New Zealand

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey everyone, how long since the call to getting your invoice?
It has been four days for me and nothing.

Was a couple of days for me between phone call and receiving the invoice email.
The invoice hasn't made it onto my tesla website account yet.

I think the local team is just getting owned at the moment. Looking at MIA > Sales Data > Vehicle Sales in 2017 and 2018 they averaged just over 20 S&X's per month. This year it's just over 15/month for S&X's. If you have a look at @MandySimpson's spreadsheet (NZ Model 3 Registrations)
there were 15 regiestered on Tuesday last week!

• Informative
Reactions: CAM3RON
Demo of the new low speed pedestrian warning sounds
Reverse sounds like 60's sci-fi spaceship
Forward sound a bit like a radiator fan flat out

Note that the regulations for PWS (US) are a somewhat different to those of AVAS (EU). Vehicles built for the NZ/Aus market will presumably follow the EU (actually UNECE) rule book.

One key difference is that the US rules require sound to be emitted up to 30 km/h, while under UNECE rules it's only up to 20 km/h.

The US rules are also much, much stricter about what it should sound like, what the volume level should be at various speeds, etc. Literally hundreds of pages of specifications for PWS compared to a few pages for UNECE's AVAS!

Note that the regulations for PWS (US) are a somewhat different to those of AVAS (EU). Vehicles built for the NZ/Aus market will presumably follow the EU (actually UNECE) rule book.

One key difference is that the US rules require sound to be emitted up to 30 km/h, while under UNECE rules it's only up to 20 km/h.

The US rules are also much, much stricter about what it should sound like, what the volume level should be at various speeds, etc. Literally hundreds of pages of specifications for PWS compared to a few pages for UNECE's AVAS!
Thanks for the info, I had a quick google and couldn't find anything about PWS or AVAS regulations or information for NZ

So despite my 3 having a rego on the 6th and my account showing 17th as delivery I got a call from tesla yesterday with some "good news" that my car is still in Auckland and now going to be released to the delivery company who may or may not take 2+ weeks to get the car to me.

I might get a call one morning for collecting my car a few hours later.

what the actual ****. what a horrendous process.

wow that sucks!

I'm booked in for 27 Sept delivery
invoice has no Rego
No sign of it in Carr & Haslam
Had a thought that since I'm picking up the car from the Auckland store
Maybe Tesla have picked it up themselves from the wharf.
Or they are using more than one transport company
Or the car is still on a ship
Or it's AWOL....

Picked up my silver SR+ today. My goodness, it’s the nicest thing I’ve ever driven. Good customer service - Tesla have engaged a lot more people to assist with delivery. They indicated they have 400-500 deliveries to process in 2 months.

Car is pretty much perfect. Minor paint ding on back right quarter that I’m not going to bother with and condensation in the tail lights - a Tesla perennial? Rest of car is tidy, solid and impressive looking. Silver goes great with the aeros too.

Car started with 8km on the clock and has now delivered 2 launches onto the Auckland motorway. It’s “only” 5 seconds or whatever to 100km/h but it’s waaaay fast compared to Kona and my old Leaf. It’s not noisy either.

Oh and I confirm the car comes with no mats, it *does* have the wall connector *and* a mobile charging cable, but I missed out on the wee phone cables.

I tried to book a front car wrap at a third party but they are busy with new Tesla’s until mid-October!

Be patient all. This is truly worth waiting for and we’re all very lucky (and smart lol)! :):)

Last edited:
Congrats on your new 3!
They indicated they have 400-500 deliveries to process in 2 months.
Wow. More than I expected. Great news!

I confirm the car comes with no mats, it *does* have the wall connector *and* a mobile charging cable,
I’m surprised you didn’t get any floor mats (if that is what you mean). I thought that was standard everywhere.

All Teslas should have a mobile charging cable (UMC) included at no extra cost (and by that I mean this Corded Mobile Connector ). By “wall connector” do you mean this? Silver Wall Connector If that is what you mean I am stunned that is included at no extra cost.

Congrats on your new 3!Wow. More than I expected. Great news!

I’m surprised you didn’t get any floor mats (if that is what you mean). I thought that was standard everywhere.

All Teslas should have a mobile charging cable (UMC) included at no extra cost (and by that I mean this Corded Mobile Connector ). By “wall connector” do you mean this? Silver Wall Connector If that is what you mean I am stunned that is included at no extra cost.
No floor or frunk mats.

Yes to the UMC.

Yes to the silver wall connector.

No to the phone cables.

I think for NZ and Au AWD, P- and P+ come with floor mats
and all Tesla models for NZ and AU UMC and HPWC are included

Early cars ordered with premium interior should also have homelink
I think that was removed from the website around late July for NZ and Au

Phone charging cables have been not been included with M3 for quite a while

You can see what NZ cars come with here and the floor mats
included with P+

skip to 1:42