Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model 3 is the most American-made car, new study says

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Why are Americans so obsessed with things being "American"?
Specifically in the case of the automotive industry, both my wife and I have directly benefitted a tremendous amount from multiple family members that were able to obtain good jobs and careers working for the "Big 3". While Tesla may not be union, they are still providing good jobs for a lot of people (I even know 2 engineers that I went to college with that worked there for awhile).

While it doesn't effect my decision to buy the best car for me at any given time, it's still a nice bonus.

I was also surprised that there was enough of a difference for the Mustang to sneak in between the 3 and the Y. I wonder what additional components/parts/etc the Y has that might not be made domestically that set it slightly further back from the 3?

Wasn’t the model Y refined down first and then revisions were applied to the Model 3. Maybe the Model 3 that was reviewed was an older version with more parts?

i know Munro when he reviewed the Mustang Mach-E version commented on how many separate parts/components it had and probably was a result of being left over from their legacy build inventory.

Reactions: Rothgarr
Wasn’t the model Y refined down first and then revisions were applied to the Model 3. Maybe the Model 3 that was reviewed was an older version with more parts?
Ah, that might be it! The Model 3 has 70 pieces of American aluminum stampings in its rear chassis compared to one single casting for the Y. There are other simplifications in the Y also such as the reduction of rivets, screws, clips, etc. so it's conceivable that the 3 could have hundreds more American parts than the Y.