Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Study Shows No Adverse Effects From Supercharging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
These statistics do not take into consideration the age of the battery, and how fast the fast charger is supplying energy. Connection to a fast charger does not mean it is putting out high-speed charging. After Tesla capped earlier cars/batterys to avoid high speed charging, these batteries would show up as not being affected by igh speed charging. Tesla always caps charging speed on high speed chargers to avoid damage to the battery. Smoke and mirrors, IMHO.

These statistics do not take into consideration the age of the battery, and how fast the fast charger is supplying energy. Connection to a fast charger does not mean it is putting out high-speed charging. After Tesla capped earlier cars/batterys to avoid high speed charging, these batteries would show up as not being affected by igh speed charging. Tesla always caps charging speed on high speed chargers to avoid damage to the battery. Smoke and mirrors, IMHO.
All I can tell you is that I have 240k miles on my 8-year old 85kwh battery, have Supercharged 48% lifetime, and my 100% charge degradation has been from 270 miles to 239 miles.

These statistics duplicate what my experience has been in the real world.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cosmacelf
All I can tell you is that I have 240k miles on my 8-year old 85kwh battery, have Supercharged 48% lifetime, and my 100% charge degradation has been from 270 miles to 239 miles.

These statistics duplicate what my experience has been in the real world.
I am not saying the results would not be the same, but the sampling seems to ignore some very important variables. If your "high speed" supercharger session are limited to a snails pace because Tesla capped your car to "low" speed charging at a supercharger, or the battery is too cold or not in good condition, it still would be included in this as having no difference in longevity over a home charging "low speed" charging.

Reactions: cbdream99
I had 265 miles RR on my 7 year old 85D with 65K.

The pack failed suddenly without warning. In warranty fortunately.

Degradation or lack thereof is not an accurate prediction of pack life.
I'm glad you said that. That's why studies like the one at the beginning of this thread are meaningless. You can't make a causal correlation between rated range degradation and battery health, as your case shows.

What was the failure mechanism in your case? Did SMT show anything at all right before or after it failed?

Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
This data most probably do not show us the real truth.

Even if fast charging do not make us see the degradation that much by lower range, the cells are subjected to lithium plating.
Lithium plating will in the long run cause short circuit in the cells.
Do it often enough or enough times, and cells will start breaking down in the battery.
Next step is to get a new or refurbished battery.

Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
I'm glad you said that. That's why studies like the one at the beginning of this thread are meaningless. You can't make a causal correlation between rated range degradation and battery health, as your case shows.

What was the failure mechanism in your case? Did SMT show anything at all right before or after it failed?
I sold the car 4 months prior, SMT not installed at the time of failure.

However, for years, SMT showed Module 2, String 2, was always low, 15-30mv below the other strings.

Note that this was a SoCal car, almost never in rain, rarely washed, (Dusted and then cleaned with spray detailer) garaged and covered, with the upgraded AC drain hose since build date of 6-9-2015.