Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model 3 - New Key Fob Passive Entry

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I did a short video showcasing some of the new features the new key fob has. To me it is a must have.

Some of the things I didn't show in the video, but work:
1) Dumb summon forward and back
2) Auto frunk open (I don't have the studs - but I show the auto trunk opening)

I have also included some links to the key fob on the Tesla Shop page, because the Key Fob is kind of burried ... And I also included the automatic frunk and trunk studs links.

• Informative
Reactions: bcpm3p and mrau
Good morning and Thank you for the report. Two questions.

1. Will the dumb summon work on cars with only Autopilot and not FSD?

2. Is there a possibility of accidental summon by having the Fob in your pocket and buttons being squished etc.

Thank you.

1) No, FSD is required, hence why I didn't test it.

2) I don't know, most likely,but you have to be near the car and press very long for summon, so it isn't really an issue. Unless you like to fiddle with the keyfob in your house or in your pocket while standing next to the car. For this you have a faraday case

2. Is there a possibility of accidental summon by having the Fob in your pocket and buttons being squished etc.

Thank you.
Yes, there is always the possibility unless you turn on the Require Continuous Press option. When Summon first came out, there was at least one accident where the owner reported his car was summoned while he was inside and the fob was in his pocket. Personally, I was once assembling some IKEA furniture and went out to the garage for a tool and found the hatch on my S open. I had somehow pushed buttons on the fob while assembling furniture in the basement. I then started leaving my fob on the counter when not in use, instead of keeping it in my pocket. Weeks later, I was in the garage and my car lights started flashing as Summon was starting. My fob was inside, on the kitchen counter but my two puppies were counter surfing and got the fob and were carrying it around and chewing on it. After that incident, I changed the Require Continuous Press option to avoid any issues.

Last edited:
Reactions: bcpm3p
I forgot to mention in the text that the new key fob also allows for passive entry so no longer cards on deck nor phone with bt enabled needed.

And also there is at least one scenario where the key fob is essential - when you are in the car, had sentry on and it triggered events, but you want to open the trunk. The open button is hidden from view. The Key Fob helps.

c6AbUQw.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: bcpm3p
Yes, there is always the possibility unless you turn on the Require Continuous Press option. When Summon first came out, there was at least one accident where the owner reported his car was summoned while he was inside and the fob was in his pocket. Personally, I was once assembling some IKEA furniture and went out to the garage for a tool and found the hatch on my S open. I then started leaving my fob in the counter when not in use instead of keeping it in my pocket. Weeks later, I was in the garage and my car lights started flashing as Summon was starting. My fob was inside, on the kitchen counter but my two puppies were counter surfing and got the fob and were carrying it around and chewing on it. After that incident, I changed the Require Continuous Press option to avoid any issues.

Holy crap. Are the puppies still with us? That could have been bad.