Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model 3 Order Cancellation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
All,
Due to the rush of federal credit, I placed an order for Model 3. Its ready for delivery at Nashville Store. But I changed my mind from going forward on buying this. Can you guys please help with the information that i should be following to convey to Tesla sales team and also about the chances of getting back my initial deposit of 2500 dollars.
I am looking for options to transfer the credits/car. If any one is looking for car info: Here are the details

Model - Model 3
Color - White

Appreciate your feedback.

Good luck. I cancelled my order for a LEMR before a VIN was assigned and it wasn’t cancelled. The customer service person said all was taken care of and I should expect my money in 30 days, but that wasn’t true. I have the email traffic to show all info needed was returned and verified by Tesla. 7 days later my edit button disappeared and a VIN was assigned. I called to say that I cancelled, but there was no record on my file and that I could expect delivery in 2 weeks. Needless to say I wasn’t happy, but after a discussion with my wife we decided that the car and payments were doable and I didn’t call to complain and cancel.

So.... all I can say is “Good luck” with trying to cancel.

All,
Due to the rush of federal credit, I placed an order for Model 3. Its ready for delivery at Nashville Store. But I changed my mind from going forward on buying this. Can you guys please help with the information that i should be following to convey to Tesla sales team and also about the chances of getting back my initial deposit of 2500 dollars.
I am looking for options to transfer the credits/car. If any one is looking for car info: Here are the details

Model - Model 3
Color - White

Appreciate your feedback.

The Tesla vehicle purchase agreement is pretty clear that, once they you are scheduled for delivery, you should not expect to get your deposit back.

The exact wording from the MVPA (motor vehicle purchasing agreement states the following, copied from my own MVPA that I received today in preparation for my delivery next tuesday (bolded emphasis mine).

TL : DR version of the below... If you were matched with a vehicle, and scheduled for delivery, tesla states they have earned that 2500 and will not be giving it back to you. You can try though /shrug.

=========================

Order; Nonrefundable Order Payment; Changes. After you submit your completed order and the options you selected become available in production, we will begin the process of matching your order to a vehicle and coordinating your Vehicle delivery. Your Order Payment covers the cost of these activities and other processing costs and is not a deposit for the Vehicle.

Your Order Payment is fully refundable only until your order is matched to a Vehicle, at which point it becomes nonrefundable.

Any changes to your Vehicle Configuration, delivery location or expected delivery time after the Order Date will be difficult, if not impossible, for us to accommodate.

If you want to make changes to your order, we will try to accommodate your request. If we accept your request, you may be subject to a non-refundable $500 change fee and potential price increases for any pricing adjustments made since your original Order Date.

Any changes made by you to your Vehicle Configuration, including changes to the delivery location or estimated delivery date, will be reflected in a subsequent Vehicle Configuration that will form part of this Agreement.

Cancellation; Default. We incur significant costs in managing your order, and locating and coordinating delivery logistics for your Vehicle. We may also incur significant costs for remarketing and reselling the Vehicle, including additional coordination, logistics and transport costs. If you cancel or default in this Agreement after your order is matched to a Vehicle, you will not be refunded your Order Payment as it has already been earned by us in taking and processing your order and preparing your Vehicle for delivery.

You acknowledge that the Order Payment amount is a fair and reasonable estimate of the actual damages that we have incurred or may incur as a result of your breach of this Agreement, damages that are otherwise impracticable or extremely difficult to determine. When you take delivery of the vehicle we will provide a credit to the final purchase price of your Vehicle equivalent to the amount of the Order Payment you paid. This Order Payment and this Agreement are not made or entered into in anticipation of or pending any conditional sale contract.

============================

I canceled mine after my VIN was assigned and was able to get my deposit back. I was about 3 days out from my delivery date. I canceled thru text with my delivery advisor. However, my trade-in offer was extremely low and I realized that I didn’t want to take such a hit on my car. That may have helped me with the deposit.

Oh I am not saying they "wont" or "cant"... I am just saying that Tesla does not "have" to refund anything, once you get scheduled for delivery. OP should definitely ask for his money back but that doesnt mean they have to do it (at least I dont think they have to, based on their contract language).

Reactions: neroden
Does "return the vehicle" also include that 2500 that tesla says they have earned already in the contract, if you know? I am not being argumentative, just asking. I am certainly not planning on returning anything as I have not even picked up yet (thats this tuesday), but its my first EV.

I also only know about the contract language because I was looking over my MVPA closely to see what all the exclusions were, etc.

I'm also in a similar situation (in my case, I can no longer afford buying the car). Tesla's page suggests you can transfer to someone else, but when searching for cases of others doing this I haven't been able to find any.

It was pretty clear when ordering the deposit would be non-refundable. We'll just need to accept that it only cost us $3k instead of $50+k.

It's too bad we can't roll the unused deposit into a future order as I still intend to buy a Tesla as soon as I can.

I'm also in a similar situation (in my case, I can no longer afford buying the car). Tesla's page suggests you can transfer to someone else, but when searching for cases of others doing this I haven't been able to find any.

It was pretty clear when ordering the deposit would be non-refundable. We'll just need to accept that it only cost us $3k instead of $50+k.

It's too bad we can't roll the unused deposit into a future order as I still intend to buy a Tesla as soon as I can.

Definitely tell them ASAP, and I would ask for it back. I think its "likely" they return it, eventually.. I just dont think they "have" to.

Would be harder to keep your deposit on file "indefinitely" without knowing when you would buy the vehicle though, but I dont know how tesla would handle that. You could always switch your reservation to the 35k Model 3 (which doesnt exist yet) if they wont refund your money? Thinking out loud here, but if you did that, you likely would have until next year sometime when they finally release that one, and would be behind several thousand people who reserved one years ago.

if they wont refund, I would ask for that if you still intend to buy a tesla... would buy you quite a bit of time I would think.

Currently in process of trying to cancel. Talked with people at store just before closing last night, they said if I want the possibility of delivery today I should put the money down right then and they would make it right if I wanted to cancel. Just talked with corporate and they said it is in process of cancellation, too early to call guy I talked with last night but hopefully it's not too big a deal, as I understand it they have cars on the lot in my areas so it's not like it had to be trucked from somewhere. Fingers crossed.

Currently in process of trying to cancel. Talked with people at store just before closing last night, they said if I want the possibility of delivery today I should put the money down right then and they would make it right if I wanted to cancel. Just talked with corporate and they said it is in process of cancellation, too early to call guy I talked with last night but hopefully it's not too big a deal, as I understand it they have cars on the lot in my areas so it's not like it had to be trucked from somewhere. Fingers crossed.

Why did you order yesterday and then cancel this morning? You get caught up in the end of the year hoopla?

You have a Tesla in hand but sitting out for the SR that loses $5625 in credit?

Reactions: jsrawa
Tax credit expiring but it's not a great time for family...still pretty tempting though.

Makes sense. Just make sure that you figure in the lack of tax credits when you are figure in your costs for getting the "cheaper" one which will likely be 6-9 months from now.

I dont know where you are, but in california, we have the 7500 credit and a 2500 state credit, and I have no idea if the state credit will continue / be available in 6-9 months either, so we are talking about 46k minus 10k vs 35K minus likely 1825... at least this is the way I would look at it.

Reactions: tander
Makes sense. Just make sure that you figure in the lack of tax credits when you are figure in your costs for getting the "cheaper" one which will likely be 6-9 months from now.

I dont know where you are, but in california, we have the 7500 credit and a 2500 state credit, and I have no idea if the state credit will continue / be available in 6-9 months either, so we are talking about 46k minus 10k vs 35K minus likely 1825... at least this is the way I would look at it.

Yup. You can also finance it out to a term well beyond when the SR Model 3 comes out. Roll the tax credit into the principle.

I did go to school for it but I wonder why the populace at large seems to ascribe -no value- to actually owning and driving a Tesla beyond just the $.

It's giving up credit AND not driving a Tesla.

Reactions: tander
I was unsure about buying a Model 3 but the OA convinced be to put down a deposit to lock in the federal incentive, said nothing to lose as I had 72 hours to cancel and the deposit would be debited back to me. I was told I could cancel right on the dashboard.

After looking into and thinking about it more I decided that the 3 probably wasn’t the right car for me and signed into the dashboard to cancel. When I signed in the day after making a deposit I already had a delivery date, all the buying documentation was there and there was no prison to cancel, very different from what I expected based on the conversation with the OA. This immediately turned me off.

I called and texted the OA to cancel and I also emailed Tesla directly to cancel. I then received an email confirming my pickup time and making sure I was still paying in cash with no trade (I would be financing and trading in a car).

The manager called me and asked why I was cancelling and said he could provide me the refund but they don’t refund by credit card only by check. He said if I wanted to come drive the car and look into financing, he would still refund the deposit even if it was over 72 hours.

After test driving the 3 I really liked it but I couldn’t have the 3 as my only vehicle (need a truck or large SUV for at least the next year or so), and couldn’t financially swing having both right now.

I texted the manager to confirm I was cancelling and my dashboard has since been wiped out.

A couple days later I was contacted about 12/31 delivery and again was asked if I was still planning on paying cash with no trade.

I’m not terribly upset that they still have my money as long as I get it back in a reasonable amount of time but it certainly wasn’t what I expected based on my original conversation with the OA. Maybe I will be a purchase in transit at 12/31! I also never signed or agreed to anything (deposit was taken by phone), so I can’t see Tesla giving me any trouble about getting my deposit back. I will call them next week when things settle down over there and if they give me any trouble I will have to file a dispute with the credit card company but I doubt it comes to that.

I loved my S and I am feeling a little bit of regret today that I’m not in a 3, but it would have been a completely irrational decision to buy right now. Can’t wait for the Tesla Truck to debut!

Seems like the original poster was in a similar situation to me with the OA saying nothing to lose with making a $2,500 deposit.