Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will they let me pickup a used model 3 a few days late?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I ordered a Model 3 and didn't realize that I would only have 3 days to pickup the car once its ready. The ETA is 2-3 weeks, but I will be out of the country in a week for 2 weeks. Will they let me pickup the car when I return or let someone else pickup the car? Or is there some way I could delay the process so it comes in more like the 3 weeks? Its being Shipped from CA to FL, so I'm hopping it takes the full 3 weeks, so there wouldn't be any problems. Hopefully they can work with me so I don't loose my 2500 deposit.

Talk to your local delivery center and explain the situation
I tried calling them, but it seemed to transfer me to a 800 and not the actual location. The person that picked up said I would have to talk to someone in the used department and she would have someone call me. I haven't received a call yet and also haven't received a response back to the text I sent them either. Its been about 24 hours.

Do you have an VIN yet? Unfortunately they’re not really responsive until much closer to delivery and VIN is assigned so just have to wait it out. If it’s nearby you can try dropping by in person to talk to someone.

Why did you pay $2500 deposit? Isn’t it a $250 order fee?

If you can’t pick up on time and they won't hold it for you, no worries. They’ll release the car to someone else and you’ll be put first in line for the next car so you might just have to wait another week or two for another one.

Do you have an VIN yet? Unfortunately they’re not really responsive until much closer to delivery and VIN is assigned so just have to wait it out. If it’s nearby you can try dropping by in person to talk to someone.

Why did you pay $2500 deposit? Isn’t it a $250 order fee?

If you can’t pick up on time and they won't hold it for you, no worries. They’ll release the car to someone else and you’ll be put first in line for the next car so you might just have to wait another week or two for another one.
Its a used 2020 with 11k miles being shipped from CA to FL so I've had the VIN the whole time. Its 2k for shipping and 500 for the order fee. I hope they wont reassign since its used and will be hard to find another for the same price/configuration with such low mileage.

here’s how I arranged an extended pickup window when I was traveling:

“I’ll be out of town for a week when the car is due to arrive. Are we able to delay acceptance?”

”No”

”OK, I’ll send my son in to accept it with a legal power of attorney for me”

”we don’t accept those”

”You don’t get to decide that, he is lawfully my agent, Tesla has no standing or choice”.

”that’s not our policy”

”you‘re going to have a really bad day if you attempt to deny a legally valid power of attorney”

”……. Will an extra 3 days work?”

”yes, thank you, I appreciate your cooperation”

Last edited:
Its a used 2020 with 11k miles being shipped from CA to FL so I've had the VIN the whole time. Its 2k for shipping and 500 for the order fee. I hope they wont reassign since its used and will be hard to find another for the same price/configuration with such low mileage.
In that case I have no idea. I didn’t know they would even ship used cars for you.

here’s how I arranged an extended pickup window when I was traveling:

“I’ll be out of town for a week when the car is due to arrive. Are we able to delay acceptance?”

”No”

”OK, I’ll send my son in to accept it with a legal power of attorney for me”

”we don’t accept those”

”You don’t get to decide that, he is lawfully my agent, Tesla has no standing or choice”.

”that’s not our policy”

”your going to have a really bad day if you attempt to deny a legally valid power of attorney”

”……. Will an extra 3 days work?”

”yes, thank you, I appreciate your cooperation”
Was this Used or New? I would imagine they might be a little more flexible with used cars as they cant just assign another VIN

New. I too think they would be even more cooperative with used.

I’m not a lawyer, but at the very least in Illinois POA is lawfully recognized. They would have had no option but to comply. my sense is they were advised to backoff and cooperate. they didn’t want to set a precedent by accepting poa and also didn’t want to violate law by rejecting it.