Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model 3 PPF and ceramic coat NZ

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am receiving my Model 3 this weekend.... I saw many negative review on colour quality and considering Auckland Transport downgrading roads in recent (means more loose chip) I am planning to do full PPF wrap, ceramic cote, including wheels, and some ceramic coat inside the car (to avoid warping and other issues)....

Any recommendations?
Am I going overkill to spend around 9K on this?
any priore experiance?
XPLE is good? clearcoat?

$9k is a lot of money to protect the paintwork for 5-10 years?
I guess so or maybe not, not sure... never thought of doing any of this before, as always driven Audi A8L and car was born perfect with no issues whatsoever.
I was and am reluctant, as planning to sale car in approx. 2 years (depends on when model X or Cyber truck delivered) so making sure I can enjoy it fully (including occasional 90 miles drive) without worrying about trivial things like stone chip and scratches around car...

How much stone chips do you think you'll get in 2 years? Pretty sure a paint shop or dent repair can do those for not nearly as much.

I mean I have a couple but nothing major.
How long you had yours?
What treatments you had on car? PPF, ceramic, none?
Do you drive only on city or motorway roads or also occasional to country areas with excessive loose chip (like taupo-napier road)...

I can learn from your experience :)

Had mine 2 years, I drive mostly city as most people do but often gravel roads etc

I had ceramic done because it makes washing the car easier, had it on older cars and it worked fine.
Having black solid colour might make it harder for mine? from your experience it sounds like I am just going on impulse panic mode... probably plenty scaremongering in regards to tesla.
Gravel roads leave scratches and dents or been mostly unscratched?

I added PPF on the front and other prone areas of the car about a week after delivery and it has saved the car from some large chips over the past year.

i wish there was a product for the windscreen because i have about 3-4 little (but noticeable) dings that bounced from the road, bonnet and onto the windscreen.

• Helpful
Reactions: Audietron
I have mudflaps, the rear rockers ahead of the rear wheels get smashed a bit on gravel roads, other than that no problems that other cars dont have.

I have a couple very minor stone chips.
That sounds much more like any normal car experience...
That means doing only ceramic might be good enough, but again trying to avoid making mistake and pay extra to wrap afterwards (including fixing costs)
I added PPF on the front and other prone areas of the car about a week after delivery and it has saved the car from some large chips over the past year.

i wish there was a product for the windscreen because i have about 3-4 little (but noticeable) dings that bounced from the road, bonnet and onto the windscreen.
They told me that windscreen tint is illegal in NZ, because that was the first thing I asked about. mainly for UV protection, but also helps with stone chips.

One of the places that offers PPF in Wellington notified me that they now have a product that can go on the glass roof, but not the windscreen, this wasn’t available before.

as an aside, when i received my car it had 2 very minor scratches and the Tesla advisor offered to get it corrected by their preferred repairer. However after speaking to them and the mobile tesla tech, we agreed that touching it up will not look good. So I guess if you did get minor paint chips that you want to fix in the future, the finish wouldn’t be as good and you will need a full respray of a panel to get the best result.

• Informative
I paid about $1800 for ceramic coating of exterior only in Oct 2019. I realise it isn't bullet proof, but I have got a couple of minor scratches and pits since getting it. Having that extra layer of vinyl is supposed to be good but 9k is a fair bit.
apparently for $8951 they wrap all car, wheel, double coat exterior and interior, do 6 monthly maintenance for 4 years to touch-up or recoat as necessary.
A bit overkill maybe or maybe not... with past good/bad experiences from others, I am confused. Never had to think this much for my Audi in past 🙄

• Informative
Reactions: CAM3RON
One of the places that offers PPF in Wellington notified me that they now have a product that can go on the glass roof, but not the windscreen, this wasn’t available before.

as an aside, when i received my car it had 2 very minor scratches and the Tesla advisor offered to get it corrected by their preferred repairer. However after speaking to them and the mobile tesla tech, we agreed that touching it up will not look good. So I guess if you did get minor paint chips that you want to fix in the future, the finish wouldn’t be as good and you will need a full respray of a panel to get the best result.
I saw similar issues... One thing I am worried about is either living with car I don't want to look at it's exterior thanks to scratches and stone chips (not healthy to shout on Auckland Transport when driving) or when selling in 2 years I need to take a loss/fix it up for reasonable deal...

If only life was easy... questioning my decision to buy Tesla 🙄

I read lots of comments on the fragility of Tesla paint. However this is not my experience having owned a Model S for 6+ years.
Originally I had the bonnet, front grille, bumpers, front guards and mirrors coated with PPF then the whole car ceramic coated. That was circa $3K at the time.
Just before NSW lockdown I got the a quote to replace the PPF on the front and rear bumpers and the front grille and another ceramic coat and was quoted circa $1,500.
The only actual paint damage is a door ding that PPF would not have prevented and a small chip on the edge of the drivers door.
I think that would be the best strategy to deploy on a car you will not be keeping long term.
My previous car was a Mercedes A Class and the bonnet looked like it had acne after the first few years.

I guess this is subjective really, based on your tolerance levels for paint chips Tesla or not
one mans chip is another have to get the car repainted immediately!

I have a 2019 black M3, no PPF no ceramic coating driven daily
I think I have about 4 or maybe 5 paint chips on the front/frunk area mostly not all that not noticeable
PPF on the frunk and front may have stopped those chips
It was a sad day when discovered my 1st chip, but once you have your 1st....

It's much more painful if someone else is responsible for a chip

I was cleaning my car this arvo and i noticed several areas where the stone would have hit at quite a velocity - enough to tear the top layer of the PPF but not through.

then i noticed that I have a crack on the windscreen just about where the windscreen wiper is covering it so who knows how long that has been there!

i guess it depends how long you want to keep the car? i plan to keep mine for 4+ Years and I do quite a bit of open road driving so protection was top of mind.

My PPF for the front (everything up to A-pillar), side skirts, behind wheel arches, trunk, door edges + ceramic coat, tinting, interior and exterior blackout was close to $4k

• Helpful
I am receiving my Model 3 this weekend.... I saw many negative review on colour quality and considering Auckland Transport downgrading roads in recent (means more loose chip) I am planning to do full PPF wrap, ceramic cote, including wheels, and some ceramic coat inside the car (to avoid warping and other issues)....

Any recommendations?
Am I going overkill to spend around 9K on this?
any priore experiance?
XPLE is good? clearcoat?
Forgot the most important thing.....congrats on your new car!

• Love
It's the right move, it is the future and Tesla is the best of breed

Nothing can compare to the instant response
The clean minimalist button and knob festooned free interior
All the little things the car does and can do now
and the things it's going to be able to do in the future...

May your delivery be smooth and the your EV charging stations be unoccupied

• Love