Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model 3 Range

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got to admit when I had my Chevy Bolt I was Charging my car to 100% everyday if I drove Conservative I would get well over the 238 range but if I drove Highway 70plus it would decrease to 195 range I dont think I have ever seen my M3 show ever more than its range. I still Have the Chevy Volt and it gets charger to 100 everyday and I have seen an improvement in its limited range. did a 38 mile round trip when she got home notice 27 mile range still left it should have a 53 mile range.

I reviewed your posts in this thread and do not see where you ever stated what your Wh/mi figure was for a trip where you accurately described the conditions (average speed, distance, elevation change, weather).

The EPA range figure that Tesla advertises is based on a specific test. Just like with ICE cars, it does not readily translate into real world conditions. The way most people drive, gas or electric, they do not get the EPA mpg rating or EV range.

Try this: find a 50 mile route that is as flat as possible and where you can drive a steady 60mph, or something close to that, with as few stop/starts as possible, on a non-windy dry day. Set one of the trip odometers to record that route and report back with the Wh/mi figure.

Okay, let us know...

We are talking about 2 different things. I get that I will lose some miles when driving based on a myriad of factors and I am fine with it. I do anywhere between 180 wh/mi to 240 wh/mi based on conditions, speed and how I am feeling at the moment (spirited vs normal). My only issue is, when I was SR+, i had 239 miles at 100%. I downgrade to SR and i am only at 209! That doesn’t add up. Either Tesla screwed up/ changed range calculation in one of the recent updates that conincided with my downgrade or in case of SR downgrades, locked too much battery capacity.

I think rated wh/mi for SR+ is 225. So, full battery capacity is about 54 kwh. To limit to 220 miles, they shoild have locked it to 49.5 kwh but instead seem to have locked it to 47.25 kwh. That’s my hypothesis anyways.

That’s why I have been looking for somwbody with 220 or close but every SR poster seems to be in the 208-209 range.

Having a Tesla in Wisconsin alone is major news, the state hates those fancy California EV makers with its direct sales ideas.

But, think about your location.... supercharging is harder compared to california so range seems to be more critical when winter comes. Are you able to charge while the car is in the garage and around 70-80 degrees? I would think some of the energy lost during winter is the self-warming battery technology in your area.

Let me explain. I had SR+ for about 5 months. Charged to 100% a coule of times and car would show 239 miles. Elected to downgrade to SR about 2 weeks ago and it only shows 209 at 100% charge. I get that the range is an estimate and all but how do you explain this discrepancy at 100% charge? Only thing I can think of is Tesla locked more capacity than they should have. This is their offical response... “I have been informed by my developers that when your vehicle's range was downgraded, this forced the range estimation algorithm to re-calibrate itself, since the capacity of your vehicle changed. Your estimated range should normalize after 3-4 weeks of normal driving.” Will be reaching out to them in 2 more weeks if it doesn’t “normalize”.

Having an SR it's not going to "recalibrate" to 219. I dunno wtf is wrong with their math but I'm not the only one at 203 @ 100%

I’m in the same boat — I downgraded my SR+ (which was showing 238 miles at 100% after 6 months and 17k miles), and it immediately began showing 209 miles after the downgrade. I’m now down to 207 at 100%. My lifetime Wh/mi is only 221 over almost 19k miles.

And it gets worse — I’m only getting 180 miles in real world driving. I took a 131 mile trip today, and went from 100% to 24%, despite averaging only 211 Wh/mi. I live in South Florida, so weather and terrain aren’t an issue.

And it gets worse — I’m only getting 180 miles in real world driving. I took a 131 mile trip today, and went from 100% to 24%, despite averaging only 211 Wh/mi. I live in South Florida, so weather and terrain aren’t an issue.

That math does not quite check out. That drive should have led to 132 rated miles used, which for you would be 64% of your battery, not 76%.

Was this a round trip? Did you stop at your destination, use Sentry mode, or any other features? And you started at 100%, not 90%?

Pictures of these types of trips showing rated miles and the trip meter would be helpful in future.

But the missing 12% is a lot for a same-day trip.

That math does not quite check out. That drive should have led to 132 rated miles used, which for you would be 64% of your battery, not 76%.

Was this a round trip? Did you stop at your destination, use Sentry mode, or any other features? And you started at 100%, not 90%?

Pictures of these types of trips showing rated miles and the trip meter would be helpful in future.

But the missing 12% is a lot for a same-day trip.

I stopped for 7 hours, collectively. Sentry & cabin overheat protection on.

I stopped for 7 hours, collectively. Sentry & cabin overheat protection on.

That likely explains it. In order to know the full story, you would have had to note your % charge upon arrival, and your % charge upon departure. Cabin overheat protection (with AC) in Florida definitely can lead to considerable energy consumption - for the first 10 hours after leaving the vehicle (after which it turns off).

I would guess you lost 12% (~25 rated miles) in those 7 hours.