Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model 3 Total loss

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Mike123

Jul 20, 2023
CA
Our Tesla Model3 2020 got rear ended recently at our fault. The initial estimate for the repairs are around $17000. The car runs and drives fine otherwise, in fact we were using it for a month without any issues before the body shop could take us in.

Now, the insurance is claiming this would be a total loss. I talked to the appraiser and his thoughts are the final repair cost would be somewhere around 20-23k.
My car has low mileage 34k and full FSD software (which I purchased when the price was reasonable enough).

This is the first time we are dealing with a total loss (in fact, any at fault payout from insurance). So I am not sure what to expect here.
My thinking is the final settlement from insurance should make me whole, as in, buy a used car with similar feature set and mileage. That's the whole point of having insurance. Is that incorrect to assume?

What is my recourse if the insurance company tries to low-ball me in the settlement?

You can always look up estimates of what a resell would have been. Make sure to include options.
If you are lucky, you may b able to get Tesla to transfer the FSD before the insurance takes ownership.

Check your policy to see what you bought. Did you buy replacement value?

To start with, check your insurance policy if it provides for replacement cost/value or actual cash value; need to verify what your insurance policy covers.

Then see what the offer from the insurance company is. Are you working with the at-fault party’s insurance company or your own?