Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model Y - 30 day experience

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was one of those unfortunate 2019 Model Y RWD reservation holders who had a gun to the head to take delivery in December by the 15th or risk losing the reservation. On the positive side, I was probably the only guy who was able to negotiate matching the price book of 2019 for the AWD. So instead of paying 59K for the base AWD, I paid 51k, and instead of 10K for FSD, I paid 5k... All in all, on the road, my Model Y would've costed me 82K in CA but I got it for around 65K - almost 17k savings. Anyway, this isn't really about the how much I saved buying the Model Y.

This thread is about how much the vehicle sucks. I already own a 2016 Model S so I am no stranger to Tesla vehicles. I understand the build quality is inferior, road noise and vibrations can't be compared to a Toyota Camry, etc. But boy, is the Model Y a piece of *sugar* or what. The vehicle is noisy as ****. My Model S feels like a Lexus compared to this trash. And then the vibrations... I wouldn't be surprised if women get orgasms from this ride... I got a headache for sure. And then the lack of no panel display in front of the steering wheel - I have to look to the side for every step in the directions.. Why? On Model S you can see the step by step directions in zoomed fashion - so intuitive and easy. Why do they have to penny pinch and take away an important aspect of the driving experience (and safety for that matter)? I get it they need to differentiate with Model X but come on, this is not where you save or skimp.

I booked an appointment at Tesla service center to see if my car is an exception (I really doubt). Couldn't get one for over two weeks later. Will come back and update what I feel afterwards. In any case, I think I made up my mind that I will sell it as soon as I get the title from DMV. Thanks to the price I got the vehicle, I won't lose any money in the sale (may be I will make a grand or two but the state of CA would be making 14k in sales tax alone on this baby)....
I have a display behind my steering wheel in my model y and in addition the unit brings Apple CarPlay & android auto in to the tesla. i Can view the gauge cluster alone Apple CarPlay / AA auto alone or a split 3/4 CarPlay/a auto and gauge cluster. One version of the display adds a front parking camera, kinda wish I had that version.

Reactions: Daekwan
ride quality is highly subjective. My $0.02 I have a 2022 performance model y built 12/2021. I have shorter springs than MYLR & low profile tires on 21” wheels and I quite enjoy the ride quality. It really improved after 5K miles perhaps due to tires/suspension breaking in. Once in a while I hit an old horrid street which is a bit annoying but that is a rare case here in Los Angeles. Really looking board to test driving a MYP with 18” wheels one day.

I have a display behind my steering wheel in my model y and in addition the unit brings Apple CarPlay & android auto in to the tesla. i Can view the gauge cluster alone Apple CarPlay / AA auto alone or a split 3/4 CarPlay/a auto and gauge cluster. One version of the display adds a front parking camera, kinda wish I had that version.
Maybe I asked you this before.. but what CP/AA aftermarket kit did you go with. I really miss CarPlay. With the blindspot preview video now higher on the screen.. lack of CarPlay and no rear cross-traffic alerts are the two remaining major gripes about my Y.

Maybe I asked you this before.. but what CP/AA aftermarket kit did you go with. I really miss CarPlay. With the blindspot preview video now higher on the screen.. lack of CarPlay and no rear cross-traffic alerts are the two remaining major gripes about my Y.
Hansshow 9” Linux based version. I am also Messing around with the single raspberry pi solution which puts everything in the Tesla center screen but it is a bit unstable and just last night I thought to myself that installing the hansshow was an easier experience. The raspberry pi solution will get better. The version which requires two raspberry pie computers is very stable I hear.

Hansshow 9” Linux based version. I am also Messing around with the single raspberry pi solution which puts everything in the Tesla center screen but it is a bit unstable and just last night I thought to myself that installing the hansshow was an easier experience. The raspberry pi solution will get better. The version which requires two raspberry pie computers is very stable I hear.
So I actually purchased a single Raspberry Pi with the hope that one day I will be able to use it to run CarPlay in my model Y. I'm hesitant to buy a second Raspberry Pi unit as they are hard to find and it just seems like as soon as I go through the effort to purchase the second one, that the single unit solution would become stable and the way forward.

So I actually purchased a single Raspberry Pi with the hope that one day I will be able to use it to run CarPlay in my model Y. I'm hesitant to buy a second Raspberry Pi unit as they are hard to find and it just seems like as soon as I go through the effort to purchase the second one, that the single unit solution would become stable and the way forward.
watch this thread about the single pi Setup if you are not already.

Reactions: Daekwan