Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model Y - 30 day experience

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was one of those unfortunate 2019 Model Y RWD reservation holders who had a gun to the head to take delivery in December by the 15th or risk losing the reservation. On the positive side, I was probably the only guy who was able to negotiate matching the price book of 2019 for the AWD. So instead of paying 59K for the base AWD, I paid 51k, and instead of 10K for FSD, I paid 5k... All in all, on the road, my Model Y would've costed me 82K in CA but I got it for around 65K - almost 17k savings. Anyway, this isn't really about the how much I saved buying the Model Y.

This thread is about how much the vehicle sucks. I already own a 2016 Model S so I am no stranger to Tesla vehicles. I understand the build quality is inferior, road noise and vibrations can't be compared to a Toyota Camry, etc. But boy, is the Model Y a piece of *sugar* or what. The vehicle is noisy as ****. My Model S feels like a Lexus compared to this trash. And then the vibrations... I wouldn't be surprised if women get orgasms from this ride... I got a headache for sure. And then the lack of no panel display in front of the steering wheel - I have to look to the side for every step in the directions.. Why? On Model S you can see the step by step directions in zoomed fashion - so intuitive and easy. Why do they have to penny pinch and take away an important aspect of the driving experience (and safety for that matter)? I get it they need to differentiate with Model X but come on, this is not where you save or skimp.

I booked an appointment at Tesla service center to see if my car is an exception (I really doubt). Couldn't get one for over two weeks later. Will come back and update what I feel afterwards. In any case, I think I made up my mind that I will sell it as soon as I get the title from DMV. Thanks to the price I got the vehicle, I won't lose any money in the sale (may be I will make a grand or two but the state of CA would be making 14k in sales tax alone on this baby)....

Sorry but a complete dink review. After purchase you had close to 3 YEARS to do a simple test drive to Notice there is no gauge cluster. And if the obvious obseration that the Models S cost‘s 70k more MIGHT have more advancements that would be on you. Trust me a visit to further waste their time Won’t change the obvious or prove to be an exception. Umphhhhh

I know that this is probably the wrong thread but, I've sold my ICE and put an order down on a KIA EV6. Then my wife said what about a Tesla? So I've booked a test drive of the Model 3 as there are no Y models here in the UK to demo. The EV6 has issues and bugs like any first production car but that doesn't bother me as long as the car still gets us around.

Anyway, I've watched the reviews on the Y- both good and bad - and want to know what sort of experiences you have had with the Y? I'm more interested in is it reliable? I can live with bugs in the system and that it's not as posh as the S models which I can't justify financially.

I know you said this isn't about price, but I'm trying to understand the math none the less.

"So instead of paying 59K for the base AWD, I paid 51k, and instead of 10K for FSD, I paid 5k... All in all, on the road, my Model Y would've costed me 82K in CA but I got it for around 65K - almost 17k savings."

59k - 51k = 8k
10k - 5k = 5k

8k + 5k = 13k

where'd the other 4k savings come from?

Midnightblue: "But boy, is the Model Y a piece of *sugar* or what."

Maybe THAT Model Y was a piece of *sugar*, not THIS one. 21k miles here, no rattles, creeks, excellent panel fitment, paint. Doesn't pretend to be a Camry, which is fine with me!

No display? That's the whole POINT of the center display. You don't NEED the additional clutter of the traditional steering wheel display. Three years. Too bad you didn't notice.

...and your $$$ figures make no sense.

Reactions: Destiny1701
I recently had two service appointments for my MY to solve a frame issue separated by a few weeks and had two loaners; a 2016 S and 2016 X.

The first appointment they gave me the S and I couldn’t get my MY back fast enough. Maybe it’s my preference for SUVs over sedans, but I didn’t enjoy the driving experience at all. Too low, sight lines were bad, harder to get in and out of…. The center instrument cluster that you tout was unusable for me. The way I had to position the seat and steering wheel to drive most comfortably resulted in the steering wheel blocking the view of most of the display. Like I said I was very happy to get my vehicle back; so, I consider the MY a tremendous value compared to the S.

Now the X; I wasn’t as anxious to get out of that loaner. The air ride was the feature I loved the most. It’s just butter I’d pay $5K for an upgrade if it was offered on the Y. Also the first thing I did pulling out of the SC once I got my MY back was to check to see if all of the windows were rolled up. After spending a week in the X I could tell a stark difference in the road and wind noise; the X was super quiet in comparison. Of course this is a vehicle that sold for over $80K 6 years ago and starts at over $100K today. On the downside the gull wing doors are stupid; they seem like a gimmick that doesn’t really add any utility to the vehicle.

I can appreciate the OP's frustration with noise and vibration. I test drove the Y but I was too excited or distracted to notice. I took delivery in September. After winding up with headaches and dizziness from driving I was starting to worry what I should do. I knew I wanted an EV, and none of the alternatives (except the Ioniq 5) seemed appealing or close to delivery yet.

You should check out the Ear/Pain Pressure thread on here. Granted, I had to spend about 3k on MountainPass Coilovers, and some time sound deadening the rear quarter panels and tweaking the hatch, I can confidently say my Y is near perfect in that regard. Unfortunately, it doesn't come from the factory this way. Had I not been someone who tweaks and mods things, I might have ended up selling it.

Reactions: ElectricAnt54
No idea what all this noise complaints are about a model Y. I only have a standard range Y and it is a pretty quiet and comfortable vehicle and I have 22 inch wheels on mine. Ride is smooth, minimal road noise. I came from a Maserati Levante and while it's no Levante, it's still a great overall vehicle. No panel gaps on mine, paint issues or whatever else that some have complained about. I must have gotten a Monday build instead of a Friday build.

• Funny
Reactions: mangrove79
Midnightblue: "But boy, is the Model Y a piece of *sugar* or what."

Maybe THAT Model Y was a piece of *sugar*, not THIS one. 21k miles here, no rattles, creeks, excellent panel fitment, paint. Doesn't pretend to be a Camry, which is fine with me!

No display? That's the whole POINT of the center display. You don't NEED the additional clutter of the traditional steering wheel display. Three years. Too bad you didn't notice.

...and your $$$ figures make no sense.
Go look for another post I made with why I got the 2019 pricing if you want the $$$ figs to make sense. I paid 5K for FSD and 51K for AWD LR. That's 13K less than current pricing right off the bat.

Sorry but a complete dink review. After purchase you had close to 3 YEARS to do a simple test drive to Notice there is no gauge cluster. And if the obvious obseration that the Models S cost‘s 70k more MIGHT have more advancements that would be on you. Trust me a visit to further waste their time Won’t change the obvious or prove to be an exception. Umphhhhh
To be honest, I knew there was no gauge cluster. I just didn't realize how much I rely on that to see the turn by turn directions instead of the larger map display. Take a look at a Model S display in the front of the steering wheel - I don't need to turn my head to see if I am making left or right. With the central console display, you have to turn head which is a pain in the neck especially when you are driving downtown where you need to make multiple turns every other block. Those who never had the Model S experience may never realize it is a problem. My frustration is, the steering wheel gauge is such an amazing feature and yet Tesla didn't have it to differentiate it from Model X (the gauge panel itself probably costs an extra 500 at most so it must be for product differentiation more than cost savings).

Just sell it for a profit and move on.

Bye!
Bingo. I am seriously considering this. I made a post on CL and got over 30 responses. Still deciding between keeping Model S or selling it and keeping the Model Y. Model S is already 6 years old so battery replacement may be an issue in a few years. Model Y resets the clock and is already 15K cheaper than current pricing so I might as well enjoy that benefit.

Anyway, I've watched the reviews on the Y- both good and bad - and want to know what sort of experiences you have had with the Y? I'm more interested in is it reliable? I can live with bugs in the system and that it's not as posh as the S models which I can't justify financially.
I'm sure there are plenty of Y reviews on this forum, and replies here in this thread is probably not representative, but I have nothing but good things to say about my Y. It's all a matter of expectation. Yes, ride is stiff, and noise is a tiny bit more than my Lexus, but everything else was just perfect. No services needed in 9 months at all outside of a tire patch. Driving is a pleasure with one-pedal and everything else that's so revolutionary with Teslas, and exactly why every other carmaker is trying to copy. No build quality issues with any paint or gaps. I put nano-ceramic coating on the car right away, and it's like teflon for dirt and rain. I won't even get into the large storage capacity with the frunk and hidden cargo spaces. The rear cargo alone can easily hold 4 golf bags with the back seat up - that's my must-have criteria for a SUV.

I was one of those unfortunate 2019 Model Y RWD reservation holders who had a gun to the head to take delivery in December by the 15th or risk losing the reservation. On the positive side, I was probably the only guy who was able to negotiate matching the price book of 2019 for the AWD. So instead of paying 59K for the base AWD, I paid 51k, and instead of 10K for FSD, I paid 5k... All in all, on the road, my Model Y would've costed me 82K in CA but I got it for around 65K - almost 17k savings. Anyway, this isn't really about the how much I saved buying the Model Y.

This thread is about how much the vehicle sucks. I already own a 2016 Model S so I am no stranger to Tesla vehicles. I understand the build quality is inferior, road noise and vibrations can't be compared to a Toyota Camry, etc. But boy, is the Model Y a piece of *sugar* or what. The vehicle is noisy as ****. My Model S feels like a Lexus compared to this trash. And then the vibrations... I wouldn't be surprised if women get orgasms from this ride... I got a headache for sure. And then the lack of no panel display in front of the steering wheel - I have to look to the side for every step in the directions.. Why? On Model S you can see the step by step directions in zoomed fashion - so intuitive and easy. Why do they have to penny pinch and take away an important aspect of the driving experience (and safety for that matter)? I get it they need to differentiate with Model X but come on, this is not where you save or skimp.

I booked an appointment at Tesla service center to see if my car is an exception (I really doubt). Couldn't get one for over two weeks later. Will come back and update what I feel afterwards. In any case, I think I made up my mind that I will sell it as soon as I get the title from DMV. Thanks to the price I got the vehicle, I won't lose any money in the sale (may be I will make a grand or two but the state of CA would be making 14k in sales tax alone on this baby)....
They make aftermarket screens that fit behind the Model 3/Y steering wheel and present to the driver a number of car stats and functions for not a ton of money. Maybe check it out…???

Reactions: ElectricAnt54